baumer

Tuesday#s TLJ 20.25M

6 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

It's hard to say how The Last Jedi will fair long term judging only on its Monday or Tuesday alone. Frankly, we don't have any comparisons that are that great, given the different calendar configuration for the holidays and the significantly higher percentage of schools that were on holidays for The Force Awakens and Rogue One at this point in their run. And the last time the calendar fell this way was 2006, a very different era of box office that is ever changing. So, we don't really know what the ebb and flow of weekdays "ought" to be for a film this big, garnering $20+ million weekdays. A 6% drop for me doesn't, in itself, tell me much, given it made a huge $21.6M on Monday. There are only five larger non-Holiday Mondays, two from films in the summer (Jurassic World and The Dark Knight), and the other three were from The Force Awakens and Rogue One on Mondays that were arguably quasi-holidays, days on which we know a much higher percentage of schools were out. I would make a similar observation in looking at the top non-Holiday Tuesday grosses.

I'll be curious to see how the rest of the week plays out.

Peace,

Mike

It depends on what you expect. The numbers are awesome if you don't expect the movie to do much more than $700m or so.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Outro's don't need a hook.

ROTS did better than AOTC

ROTK did better than TTT

DH2 did better than DH1

I could go on.

But those were real conclusions, whereas Disney probably has about 20 more Star Wars already planned - including some with TLJ characters.

It will be as much of an outro as Avengers: Infinity War Part II:sparta:

44 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Idk the Part 1/Part 2 split has never really worked for audiences, they're kinda selling Infinity War as the big event and not sure how happy audiences are going to be when they learn it's only the first half of it (will this be made clear in marketing? probably not. which means people finding out when they see the movie)

Worked well with the Lords of the Rings trilogy, Apes trilogy and the current new Star Wars trilogy, audience are getting use to cliffhanger and not closed ending.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

But those were real conclusions, whereas Disney probably has about 20 more Star Wars already planned - including some with TLJ characters.

It will be as much of an outro as Avengers: Infinity War Part II:sparta:

Lol, wut?

It's the end of the Skywalker saga.

The next trilogy will have zero Skywalker stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Worked well with the Lords of the Rings trilogy, Apes trilogy and the current new Star Wars trilogy, audience are getting use to cliffhanger and not closed ending.

I don't think that trilogies are considered splits unless they are based on books and 1 is split into 2 or 3 movies. LOTR = 3 books/3 movies so not a split.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Hobbit trio comes to mind: 303, 258, 250

But i too feel sw9 will increase.

Hunger Games also but that's probably due to the split. even without the split i don't think the last one was locked to go over CF.

Yeah and the Hobbit pt 2 was split also which just pisses off the audience when its a blatant cash grab.

19 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The hooks is:

Vader

More Epic Battles, Ring Destroyed. 

Final Showdown at Hogwarts.

Those are all hooks, they were predictable but were things that interested people. 

Episode 9 hooks

Kylo Ren, More Epic Space Battles, Final Showdown

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Episode 9 is nothing but guarranteed to increase. It is not a last chapter, so why would it?

People know very well that even their grandkids will continue to give Disney money to see the force on screen so no rush factor...

Based on what happened in TLJ, I'm leaning towards EP9 actually decreasing from TLJ.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that trilogies are considered splits unless they are based on books and 1 is split into 2 or 3 movies. LOTR = 3 books/3 movies so not a split.

That using some semantic tricks is seam, hard to imagine in any possible way how Lords of the rings was not a split.

Lords of the rings is obviously one story told into 3 movies, they splitted it in 3 part (but was planned to be only 2 movie at some point, then just 1, etc... before deciding to go splitting it in 3).

Tolkin book was splitted by the editors in 3 back in the days a bit for similar reason than the movies did it the split, paper was costly that year/more pratical format, bigger commercial potential selling 3 books vs 1.

People are so used to movie not telling the story in one go that you could be right, that most split (even if it is announced from the start, we will split this story into 3 movies instead of one) are not considered split, it need additional re-splitting now a day to be considered as such.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, grey ghost said:

Last Skywalker Saga film in history.

Not many better hooks out there.

(Not a spoiler, everyone knows these are Skywalker saga films)

All they have to do is say "The end of the Skywalker saga", show some space explosions and boom another 1.5B in WW ticket revenue.

• Haha 1