baumer

Tuesday#s TLJ 20.25M

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

*thanks to Hulk and Adele

My point exactly. The hooks didn't come from previous movies. They were new movie's invention. Skyfall hired Adele, Ragnarok hired Hulk - boom. It also helped that the movies were great. So IX would have to be great on top of inventing a hook which is tough with JJ preferring to keep eevrything a secret. IMO, TLJ should have shown a bit of the certain fight instead of recycling the same shot of Finn and Phasma. Like, who even cares about their showdown? 

I think the first number that can be used to determine whether or not the WOM is great/good/mixed is the Friday increase. I for one think that WOM is great among the GA, so i expect a MASSIVE 2nd set of weekdays. That will be so much fun to track. 

It's hard to say how The Last Jedi will fair long term judging only on its Monday or Tuesday alone. Frankly, we don't have any comparisons that are that great, given the different calendar configuration for the holidays and the significantly higher percentage of schools that were on holidays for The Force Awakens and Rogue One at this point in their run. And the last time the calendar fell this way was 2006, a very different era of box office that is ever changing. So, we don't really know what the ebb and flow of weekdays "ought" to be for a film this big, garnering $20+ million weekdays. A 6% drop for me doesn't, in itself, tell me much, given it made a huge $21.6M on Monday. There are only five larger non-Holiday Mondays, two from films in the summer (Jurassic World and The Dark Knight), and the other three were from The Force Awakens and Rogue One on Mondays that were arguably quasi-holidays, days on which we know a much higher percentage of schools were out. I would make a similar observation in looking at the top non-Holiday Tuesday grosses.

I'll be curious to see how the rest of the week plays out.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wonder Midget said:

That's a big problem for IX. I think TLJ was good as a standalone movie, but there's no hook that makes the next one an absolute must see. Unless JJ decides to resurrect Vader and use it extensively in promotion or something similar, I don't see the next one outperforming 8.

Outro's don't need a hook.

ROTS did better than AOTC

ROTK did better than TTT

DH2 did better than DH1

I could go on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

TLJ won't increase for it's first three Tuesdays, just like TFA and RO.  

Still not worried until it I see something really out of place.

that's my take as well.  I am open to see it going either way because it could go south quickly, but yes until something really goes out of whack numbers wise, I'd say the movie is staying the course and acting normally for now.

49 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Yeah, the hook is it's the conclusion to Rey, Ren and crew's storylines.

Yeah how someone can say TLJ doesnt have hooks. In addition to the conclusion to this story. It is conclusion to saga that likely wont be back for 10 years. It also has the benefit if being very unpredictable as to what is going on in Ep9. One think TLJ did was make it so Ep9 will be very different. We knew much of what would happen in ROTS. We knew what we expected answers to in ROTJ. What can we say we expect to find out in Ep9?  All I can say for certain about EP9 is that we will have a confrontation.

Edited by KeithF1138
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

ROTK did better than TTT

DH2 did better than DH1

I could go on.

The hooks is:

Vader

More Epic Battles, Ring Destroyed. 

Final Showdown at Hogwarts.

Those are all hooks, they were predictable but were things that interested people. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

13 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Whether it's called Part 1/Part 2 or not, it's still being sold as the finale when it's not, since its narrative continues into Avengers 4, the actual finale. Functionally no different (except that removing Part 1 from the title clues the audience out, which may actually make the situation worse lol)

Quality will be the determining factor.

Divergent and Hunger Game fans could tell the studio was stretching it out for a cash grab extra movie and bailed.

While some cliffhangers leave fans wanting more like ESB.

2 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

Yeah how someone can say TLJ doesnt have hooks. In addition to the conclusion to this story. It is conclusion to saga that likely wont be back for 10 years. It also has the benefit if being very unpredictable as to what is going on in Ep9. One think TLJ did was make it so Ep9 will be very different. We knew much of what would happen in ROTS. We knew what we expected answers to in ROTJ. What can we say we expect to find out in Ep9?  All I can say for certain about EP9 is that we will have a Rey and Kylo confrontation.

Yeah the only compelling argument I've heard that suggests episode 9 will have a predictable conclusion is "JJ Abrams is directing", lol.

6 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

Yeah how someone can say TLJ doesnt have hooks. In addition to the conclusion to this story. It is conclusion to saga that likely wont be back for 10 years. It also has the benefit if being very unpredictable as to what is going on in Ep9. One think TLJ did was make it so Ep9 will be very different. We knew much of what would happen in ROTS. We knew what we expected answers to in ROTJ. What can we say we expect to find out in Ep9?  All I can say for certain about EP9 is that we will have a Rey and Kylo confrontation.

Your last sentence is an indirect spoiler. Better edit that out.

10 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

Yeah how someone can say TLJ doesnt have hooks. In addition to the conclusion to this story. It is conclusion to saga that likely wont be back for 10 years. It also has the benefit if being very unpredictable as to what is going on in Ep9. One think TLJ did was make it so Ep9 will be very different. We knew much of what would happen in ROTS. We knew what we expected answers to in ROTJ. What can we say we expect to find out in Ep9?  All I can say for certain about EP9 is that we will have ______________

It depends on how invested people are in that and whether previews will make it look worth the trip to the cinema. I mean, we all know what the big hook is going to be since it's the last saga movie (for now) but I don't know what is considered a spoiler in this thread. 

Edited by Valonqar

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

ROTK did better than TTT

DH2 did better than DH1

I could go on.

Hobbit trio comes to mind: 303, 258, 250

But i too feel sw9 will increase.

Hunger Games also but that's probably due to the split. even without the split i don't think the last one was locked to go over CF.