baumer

Tuesday#s TLJ 20.25M

13 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

Maybe it did? Perhaps without the Carrie Fisher death effect the grosses would be closer to RO than TFA. It's part of the reason I think that EP9 will drop from TLJ.

I don’t think it had that much of an affect to be honest. Most everyone I know who’s either already seen it or is planning on seeing never mentions that particular aspect of it. 

When Walker died and Fast 7 was coming out it seemed like that’s ALL anybody was talking about. 

I think 9 could see a slight increase. It’ll probably open lower but if J.J. can make something more akin to TFA; fun, entertaining and crowd pleasing, the WOM could carry it to a higher gross. 

21 minutes ago, cannastop said:

She's not really a main character, and Star Wars is already so big that it couldn't increase from such a big original movie.

This one think that death did was not add awareness to the movie, that is a bit impossible.

Now big fans that would go see that movie because of her death but did not saw Awaken in theater ? Is there any chance you would ever go see a Star wars movie in theater you really really probably did for Force Awaken... The Venn diagram of hyper fan of Fisher but does not go see a star wars movie in theater usually but now would because it is a last time is probably rather thin.

On 28.8.2017 at 4:21 AM, EmpireCity said:

Not sure why I was tagged in this thread, but Justice League isn't touching $500m and making it to $400m isn't going to be easy either.    

It won't get the screens or have the room to run to get to that level.  It is also a lot more bro'ish and still a heavy Zack Snyder production and won't draw the entire Wonder Woman crowd.  

Has to also compete with a whole lot of other movies for space.  Thor is going to hold screens.  Bad Moms will still be kicking along.  Daddy's Home 2.  Murder on the Orient Express.  Wonder and Coco.  The Star.  Molly's Game.  A host of limited Oscar movies expanding.  It will be virtually dead in the the water by Dec. 15th when Star Wars takes over everything.  

Someone was right..

#JusticeLeagueJusticeLeague_JL.png will be losing 59% of its theaters this FRI as many new films gobble up screens for the long #ChristmasHolidays_2017_Christmas.png wknd. New count will be 1101 dropping below #ThorRagnarokThorRagnarok_Thor.png which will be in 1573 despite being an older film. Domestic totals now $220.9M and $307.6M.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mredman said:

how does that make sense. When JL has made more money than Thor all days ?

WTF is this. Is it Disney again doing dirty work

Just got off the phone with Bob Iger, he told me

"Tell that forum user, mredman, that we have bought out the theaters and are forcing them to stop showing JL.  We were threatened by its unstoppable BO wave and didn't want it to pass our biggest film ever, Doctor Strange.  We also wanted to spite mredman."

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Coco's now way behind Moana in the dailies. I guess that's what Star Wars will do.

I guess it will pass $200m dom, though.

Yeah...

I think Coco will have better jumps and drops than Moana have last year from now, but this is not enough to compensate the difference between them. Coco probably will finish with $ 205 - 215M, way behind Moana.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mredman said:

Others possible reason,

1. Thor 3 has now an higher per theater average, I guess that theater average is a some ways a better predictor for theater hold when movies are in the same ballpark.
  2. Audience composition (is the Thor 3 audience has an audience that will play better during Christmas holiday ? A pick more common for kids to grand parents family context) ?
  3. Different concession sales average ?

And yes, WB having a new release coming up (and not one necessarily easy to achieve to get theaters time) with father figures to put in, while Disney do not is maybe the simpler actual main reason.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mredman said:

It could be the fact that JL is making less than Thor in some theaters.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Coco's now way behind Moana in the dailies. I guess that's what Star Wars will do.

I guess it will pass $200m dom, though.

Coco is running behind Moana, but I don't think the Monday and Tuesday dailies are representative of the gap we'll see moving forward. Moana started this week with more schools on holidays - I expect the gap will shrink considerably through the rest of this week. I'm curious to see the Wednesday numbers - Moana dropped 30.5% on the Wednesday, and I suspect Coco will not drop as much. Coco's Friday increase could also be considerably higher than Moana's 13.9% jump, given that Thursday will have 39% of schools out, which jumps up to 61% on Friday, according to Deadline. 

Who really knows - I could be wrong - but it will be interesting to follow. In a way, the varying winter holiday schedules each year keep the box office this time of year exciting.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3