grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

1 hour ago, lancelot123 said:

Just like Marvel movies... oh... wait... 

Marvel movies arguably did reach their peak with The Avengers. But credit to them they have found ways to reinvent themselves a little bit and find creative ways so that not every movie looks and feels the same. Infinity War has a chance to reach peak levels. 

But a couple things as we look to the future.  So far they have not had to recast Stark and Cap.  Eventually they will have to do that.  And that will be challenging maybe more than then what Star Wars is facing.  

People laugh at DC for getting Justice League wrong but this is the 3rd or 4th time now for Batman.  They've drank from that well for decades. For the most part,  it's worked out very well. 

Disney will face new challenges for both Star Wars and Marvel over the next 5 years and it'll be interesting to see where they go with those properties. 

People in this thread are talking about how a $249m/$936m/$2.07b movie, a $155m/$535m/$1.06b movie and now a $220m/$700m+/$1.5b+ movie with stellar reviews and all points of data are somehow now part of a series that is a disappointment?

There are a lot of people who have absolutely lost their mind.  

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Just now, Darth Suburious said:

So the same as Marvel. All the marvel movies look the same. 

They all share the same look and feel yes photography, tone, etc..., maybe more than Rogue One vs the other 2 in some ways, Rogue One was quite different in many ways, but still had the strong Star Wars elements in it.

But in production design and setting, Dr Strange, Winter Soldier, Guardian-Thor 3, Ant-man, Civil War, Spider Man is more varied, same for the genre they can go to thriller comedy, high school comedy, space fantasy comedy, heist comedy.

Look at the trailer of Black Panther, in production design, setting, it is quite different than Thor 3 or Guardian 2, tone/photography/pacing/score/writing will probably be quite similar, will see.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

They all share the same look and feel yes photography, tone, etc..., maybe more than Rogue One vs the other 2 in some ways, Rogue One was quite different in many ways, but still had the strong Star Wars elements in it.

But in production design and setting, Dr Strange, Winter Soldier, Guardian-Thor 3, Ant-man, Civil War, Spider Man is more varied, same for the genre they can go to thriller comedy, high school comedy, space fantasy comedy, heist comedy.

Look at the trailer of Black Panther, in production design, setting, it is quite different than Thor 3 or Guardian 2, tone/photography/pacing/score/writing will probably be quite similar, will see.

All the marvel movies look exactly the same.  Spider man is spider man not high comedy. Winter soldier is a superhero movie not political thriller, etc. rogue One shot differently but it felt very much like Star Wars movie. The tone is very similar. 

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One of my local theaters is slowly removing any Last Jedi showings it can if it has anything better...28 last weekend to 21 through Tuesday to 18 from Wed through Saturday to 13/14/15 come Sunday-Thursday...that's 1/2 the showings gone in 9 days from original opening weekend...

Seems pretty normal. 

I don't think this is disappointing at all.  What happened is that people set themselves up to be disappointed. There was no way to match TFA or come close to it.  That's once in a lifetime.   If the Star Wars numbers continue to dwarf every other franchise there's no issue.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

People in this thread are talking about how a $249m/$936m/$2.07b movie, a $155m/$535m/$1.06b movie and now a $220m/$700m+/$1.5b+ movie with stellar reviews and all points of data are somehow now part of a series that is a disappointment?

But you see EmpireCity, TLJ has a ROTTEN Flixter score.  Nothing else matters!  It's the biggest flop of them all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Noctis said:

What the fuck? Daisy isn't happy with the film? 0:30

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

maybe that's why she cried when she heard JJ was coming back

These are perfect examples of how completely fucking intellectually lazy or even flat out dishonest people are being.  She didn't say she wasn't happy with the film, she really liked it but is (as she has many times) referring to watching herself on screen.  She is never happy watching herself and even reiterates that in the interview, but no, posters on here with thousands of posts try to twist it into something ridiculous and flat out wrong that "Daisy isn't happy with the film".  

Ridiculous.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Marvel movies arguably did reach their peak with The Avengers. But credit to them they have found ways to reinvent themselves a little bit and find creative ways so that not every movie looks and feels the same. Infinity War has a chance to reach peak levels. 

But a couple things as we look to the future.  So far they have not had to recast Stark and Cap.  Eventually they will have to do that.  And that will be challenging maybe more than then what Star Wars is facing.  

People laugh at DC for getting Justice League wrong but this is the 3rd or 4th time now for Batman.  They've drank from that well for decades. For the most part,  it's worked out very well. 

Disney will face new challenges for both Star Wars and Marvel over the next 5 years and it'll be interesting to see where they go with those properties. 

With the Fox purchase, they don't need Tony Stark and Steve Rogers anymore. Tony can become a background character and Bucky can take over for Cap.

They're also far from their peak. Captain America, Thor, and Guardian movies show us that, each sequel increasing from the previous movie. I guarantee that Doctor Strange 2 will increase even though it hasn't been announced. I'll admit, Antman 2 will be interesting to see if they can hold the streak.

• Like 1

Marvel films have a lot more freedom to do their own thing mainly cause it’s so easy to disregard canon or stuff that doesn’t work or just not take it seriously in future movies (Thor recently did a lot of that). SW as a brand is all about canon and fans know if they hated something in a film it’s not going to be easily wiped away.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - One extra worry I have is that theaters have no incentive to sell this if they have better product, since they retain 10% less in ticket sales...one of my locals is slowly removing any showings it can if it has anything better...28 last weekend to 21 through Tuesday to 18 from Wed through Saturday to 13/14/15 come Sunday-Thursday...that's 1/2 the showings gone in 9 days from original opening weekend...

You literally have absolutely no clue of how any of this works and are so painfully wrong on nearly everything in this post. 

Your theater had 28 shows last week because it cleared out all old product from the building and had the room to show 28 shows of it as there was only 1 other movie opening (if they even carried it and likely didn't give it shows last Thursday). This week there are 7 or 8 new movies releasing and they are contractually obligated to play those new movies clean without stealing shows from them.  They have half the shows gone because they have a bunch of new movies they have to play.  They literally can't show more or they risk breaking their contractual obligations.  

They aren't "slowly removing any showing it can if it has anything better", they are following their master agreement for the new films they are obligated to open.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

This will have uneven boxoffice due to Christmas , Newyear falling on Monday , next two weekends are going to be soft & weekdays are going to be huge. It's most productive boxoffice draw will be from 26 December to 7 january with 26 December , 1 & 2 January being huge.

I guess over or under Avatar marginally.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

With the Fox purchase, they don't need Tony Stark and Steve Rogers anymore. Tony can become a background character and Bucky can take over for Cap.

They're also far from their peak. Captain America, Thor, and Guardian movies show us that, each sequel increasing from the previous movie. I guarantee that Doctor Strange 2 will increase even though it hasn't been announced. I'll admit, Antman 2 will be interesting to see if they can hold the streak.

:gold:  Look, I know this topic is getting heated but there's no reason to get ugly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm not buying this "you simpleton plebs just don't get it or have lost your minds routine" anymore. The movie is FAR from a disappointment in the big picture, but nobody can spin these drops. Nobody can spin that it's only jumping a couple percent today (RO rose 12.1%).

You may be some industry hotshot, Empire, but most of us arent idiots. Many will agree that, again, the big picture the movie is another massive success for Disney. That's not the issue. Stop moving the goalposts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think this is disappointing at all.  What happened is that people set themselves up to be disappointed. There was no way to match TFA or come close to it.  That's once in a lifetime.   If the Star Wars numbers continue to dwarf every other franchise there's no issue.  

This film is really doing great with being third & a middle film in franchise in three years. If there wasn't Rogue One , this might have kept enthusiam in audience for numbers going close to star wars 7. 

If they are going to stop with episode 9 for a while.. 9 will bump from 8. If they announce 10 , 9 will dip further.

Han Solo will drop from R1 with being crowded and a less space release from 8 unless the Force is invincible.

21 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You literally have absolutely no clue of how any of this works and are so painfully wrong on nearly everything in this post. 

Your theater had 28 shows last week because it cleared out all old product from the building and had the room to show 28 shows of it as there was only 1 other movie opening (if they even carried it and likely didn't give it shows last Thursday). This week there are 7 or 8 new movies releasing and they are contractually obligated to play those new movies clean without stealing shows from them.  They have half the shows gone because they have a bunch of new movies they have to play.  They literally can't show more or they risk breaking their contractual obligations.  

They aren't "slowly removing any showing it can if it has anything better", they are following their master agreement for the new films they are obligated to open.  

At least someone in this thread and on this forum calls out the BS lol. It's too tiring for me, I scroll past most of it, but for a lot of people who honestly seem like intelligent people, there have been a lot of less than stellar posts. 

The Daisy one is a prime example. No actors like watching themselves, trust me. I've directed many actors, I've had mixed results with them wanting to watch what they did even once. A few of them really enjoy it, usually the newer ones, but I've had others just flat out refuse to watch whatever they did and they hang out socializing before or after, without actually bothering to watch. Or they just don't show up at all. 

Imagine Star Wars to me, or to many people, is this mythic saga of incredible significance. But then suddenly you're IN Star Wars, and that's just you up there, on the screen. You remember all of the takes you did, you remember the scenes that got cut, the conversations you had, it's not even like watching a movie, it's more like watching security camera footage of you doing your job at the cubicle. It's bizarre. That's why I like to direct, I cannot stand the idea of seeing myself on screen. It's just way more fun to be behind the camera, so I can't blame Daisy for not wanting to see herself over and over. She even said she loved watching the other scenes without her, though.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Also, TLJ definitely gets better with repeat viewings.  There's so many well thought out details to appreciate.

I’ve seen it 3 times and I think it’s fantastic! 

Dont really understand all the hate and vitriol towards it but that’s just me. Oh well 

• Like 2