grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Looks like Jumanji will be the first non Spider-Man movie from Sony since Spectre to hit $200M domestic. They really needed that hit. Sony now has potentially another successful franchise to go with Spider-Man and Hotel Translyvania.

27 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Looks like Jumanji will be the first non Spider-Man movie from Sony since Spectre to hit $200M domestic. They really needed that hit. Sony now has potentially another successful franchise to go with Spider-Man and Hotel Translyvania.

Jumanji 3 or whatever will crater.

I think this was a mix between the perfect casting and interesting spin that got people to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

That downsizing number is awful. 

The premise always seemed weird and a tough sell, and the reviews didn't help one bit either. Just goes to show if you're an adult-targeted film opening at a time of year when a bunch of Oscar contenders are opening and don't have much to offer, you're screwed.

14 hours ago, That One Guy said:

oh yeah I've seen every Verbinski film now!  ranking time!

1. Curse of the Black Pearl
  2. A Cure for Wellness
  3. The Ring
  4. The Lone Ranger
  5. Rango
  6. The Weather Man
  7. Dead Man's Chest
  8. The Mexican
  9. At World's End
  10. Mousehunt

1-6 are Jesus-worthy.  7 is very good.  8-9 is decent.  10 is meh.

Rango is not first. I do not comprehend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Its really funny how perspective works - even if TLJ only makes 100M over the 4-day-weekend, its cume would still stand at 396M. Only 18M less than the cultural phenomenon that was Wonder Woman.

And people here would call it a flop :hahaha:

Come on. No 1 would dream of calling it a flop and if anyone really does then they are kind of being moronic. It's just the expectations after opening up to only 10% less than the force awakens. It is not even close to a flop at all.

Also: look at how well Darkest Hour is doing. Old people, their power lol.

The Shape of Water did alright in its wide expansion. Will probably land between $30-40M in the end unless it ends up picking up a ton of traction at the awards shows.

Obviously this film is doing well in terms of all films.

Its about expectations though.

When someone calls a football player bad they don't need to preface that with. "In respect to other professional football players in his league and at the highest played...". Thats just silly as it's obvious to everyone what they meant. Well almost everyone, you have those who say "he's better than you though!".. well thats completely missing the point you DINGO.

The Last Jedi only had a limited range it was going to drop into, something like 1.1b to 1.8b ww. Now if we limit our vocabulary to the words incredible, amazing, great.. how are we going to differientate between 1.1b and 1.8b.

It's about expectations!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Obviously this film is doing well in terms of all films.

Its about expectations though.

When someone calls a football player bad they don't need to preface that with. "In respect to other professional football players in his league and at the highest played...". Thats just silly as it's obvious to everyone what they meant. Well almost everyone, you have those who say "he's better than you though!".. well thats completely missing the point you DINGO.

It's about expectations!

I really hope you show this kind of common sense when Avatar 2 may do anything between 1,5B - 3B worldwide :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I really hope you show this kind of common sense when Avatar 2 may do anything between 1,5B - 3B worldwide :P

My expectations are quite different though... below 2b and i delete my account

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1