grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I loved Jumanji and Hart was tolerable in this but pretty much this.

I'm kind of surprised how much I enjoyed Jonas in the movie. And Hart is perhaps best when the script basically forces him to act like the Jock character.

But that's getting too much into spoilers. Though Jack Black walked away with this, deserves some recognition he'll never get because of the kind of movie this is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

True but it's not really The Rock's movie. He flexes his muscles and does that lame thing with his eyebrows he always does (it's supposed to be "charming" I guess). It's Jack Black and Karen Gillan's movie. 

Jack Black and Karen Gillan also don’t get enough recognition. They nailed it.

• Like 3

As I've been posting my theater's schedule for most of the year, I keep a record of them. With the year coming to an end, here's how long movies have played at my theater this year:

13 weeks:

Spider-Man: Homecoming

12 weeks:

Hidden Figures

Wonder Woman (two weeks were a re-expansion)

10 weeks:

Thor: Ragnarok (and counting)

9 weeks:

Beauty and the Beast

The Boss Baby

Despicable Me 3 (two weeks were a re-expansion)

8 weeks:

Daddy's Home 2

Dunkirk

The Emoji Movie

It

La La Land (two weeks were re-expansions)

7 weeks:

A Bad Moms Christmas

The Fate of the Furious

Going in Style

Logan

4-6 week releases below:

Spoiler

6 weeks:

Annabelle: Creation

Baby Driver (one week was a re-expansion)

Cars 3 (one week was a re-expansion)

Coco (and counting)

Get Out (one week was a re-expansion)

Gifted

Girls Trip

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Kong: Skull Island

The LEGO Batman Movie

Murder on the Orient Express

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

The Shack

Smurfs: The Lost Village

War for the Planet of the Apes

Wonder (and counting) (one week is a re-expansion)

5 weeks:

A Dog's Purpose

The Great Wall

John Wick: Chapter 2

Justice League

The LEGO Ninjago Movie

The Mountain Between Us (one week was a re-expansion)

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature

Sing (7 total when including 2016)

Split

TYLER PERRY'S BOO 2! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

4 weeks:

47 Meters Down

All Saints

American Made

Atomic Blonde

Before I Fall

The Big Sick (one week was a re-expansion)

Blade Runner 2049

Born in China

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

The Case for Christ

The Dark Tower

Everything, Everything

Fifty Shades Darker

The Foreigner

Geostorm

Happy Death Day

Home Again

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Logan Lucky

The Mummy

Power Rangers

Rogue One (7 total when including 2016)

Snatched

The Star

Transformers: The Last Knight

Valerian

@Poe Blankeron got anything for your theaters?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Image result for mad max thumbs up gif

I mean. I feel either one of the horror CBM (New Mutants or Venom) will breakout and do $200M. I also feel like Into The Spiderverse can do $200M but looking at Clone Wars and Lego Batman has me cautious.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Do some people dislike xxx due to the way her character was written or was it her acting performance?

Dude, please stop talking movie specifics in this thread.

Edited by LinksterAC
misspell
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

RACISTS :sparta:

I am an Asian, and I can tell you... most comments on FB are against Rose Tico.

I mean Disney assumed all Asians are the same and kept forcing her down our throats with her spots and interviews about her. Disney is doing this with the Singapore/Malaysia/Hong Kong/Thailand Facebook page but Kelly Marie Tran is a Vietnamese-American.. not totally the same.

Anyway, that aside.. why Rogue One's marketing in Asia die well is because Donnie Yen is actually a box office draw in most parts of Asia, even outside of China. So when Disney marketed Donnie Yen, it was picked up by many local media and fans... 

Kelly Marie Tran is just.. forced diversity, as many of my friends say it. :(

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Feeling Venom will be Sony’s next breakout. Feeling Logan numbers could happen.

Sony should cancel Venom. I just don't see it working without it being in the MCU like Spider-Man.

I wouldn't be shocked if Into the Spider-verse made more than Venom. In fact, I'm expecting it.

• Like 1

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

$19 million is excellent for Jumanji - I think $200 million DOM is a done deal, $225 million DOM fairly likely, $250 million DOM most likely, $275 million certainly plausible depending on Tues-Thurs (would need $15.5-16 on Wed IMO to make this reachable), $300 million a longshot, but a $65 million+ 4-day and sub-40% 3rd weekend/4th weekend drops could change that quickly. 

TLJ did fine enough, but if it ends up short of Jurassic World, that would be slightly disappointing yet not unexpected since Star Wars has a history of second parts in the trilogies declining by 25-35% from the first film, only to see the finale increase from the second, but wind up below the first. $650-670 million DOM for TLJ likely means Episode IX will end up in the $760-810 million DOM range IMO. 

Greatest Showman is holding on strong. $70-75 million DOM wouldn't be too bad for a non-Oscar contender targeting families already being reached by TLJ, Jumanji, Wonder, Coco and Ferdinand. 

Pitch Perfect 3 held better than expected. Unless it drops 40%+ next weekend, it should be able to crawl just above PP2's OW, which is still a massive disappointment, but the fairly low budget makes this a slight success through cable airings on Freeform or USA during a Pitch Perfect marathon a year or so from now.  

Ferdinand is underperforming, but it was a bad idea to release a PG-rated adaptation of a preschool picture book when there are 3-5 other family-friendly films older adults would enjoy more. I think Fox should have moved it to April or May 2018 and edited it to get a G rating like Blue Sky's other successful films of late (3 of their last 4 to reach $100 million DOM were rated G). 

Coco and Wonder are doing well. Coco should likely cross the $200 million DOM mark while Wonder should reach $130-135 million DOM. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I am an Asian, and I can tell you... most comments on FB are against Rose Tico.

I mean Disney assumed all Asians are the same and kept forcing her down our throats with her spots and interviews about her. Disney is doing this with the Singapore/Malaysia/Hong Kong/Thailand Facebook page but Kelly Marie Tran is a Vietnamese-American.. not totally the same.

Anyway, that aside.. why Rogue One's marketing in Asia die well is because Donnie Yen is actually a box office draw in most parts of Asia, even outside of China. So when Disney marketed Donnie Yen, it was picked up by many local media and fans... 

Kelly Marie Tran is just.. forced diversity, as many of my friends say it. :(

VIETNAMESE-AMERICAN HATERS then :sparta:

• Like 1

Was amazed the awful subplot in TLJ only lasted 11 minutes.  I would have guessed at least half an hour.

And people hate Rose because the character so clearly exists for no reason other than to check a diversity box.  The girl playing her can't act to save her life and the subplot drags down the entire movie by interrupting far more interesting scenes and disrupting the flow of the film.

Take away that subplot and take away the glaring "comedy" misfires (prank phone call) and this becomes a much better movie.

Edited by Gamera
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious to see how Aquaman, Poppins, Engines, Bumblebee, and Spiderverse will perform over the holidays next season. Which one will be the DH/Sing/Jumanji breakout?

I would say Spiderverse.

I think bumblebee will gross below 100 Mio $, Spiderverse looks okay probably something like 150 Mio $, I think Engines at best behaves like Bumblebee and Aquaman and Poppins are the two bigger films, but I think most people expect those two to play well, so unless they really overperform I doubt I can call either a breakout, but I think Poppins will be #1 film in December.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious to see how Aquaman, Poppins, Engines, Bumblebee, and Spiderverse will perform over the holidays next season. Which one will be the DH/Sing/Jumanji breakout?

Poppins hands down. Bumblebee will be DOA. Engines is an unknown, IMO. The others are tiresome extensions we do not need but will outpace Bumblebee.

• Like 1

There’s literally three different threads to talk about The Last Jedi as a movie?  I personally like talking about the movie but why not talk about some of the BO runs going on right now?  I mean it’s the weekend thread, right?

On that note, I’m really impressed with Jumanji’s numbers, was expecting a success but the GA is really taking to that movie.  I definitely think that effects TLJ’s BO some, It has much more appealing competition than TFA had (maybe RO too, as Jumanji could easily go over Sing).

• Like 3