grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

The real story will be Episode 9 numbers IMO.

Reality is gona slowly sink in and when it does, ouch for the third movie of this iteration of the franchise.

By 2019, people will have already moved on to Mortal Engines & Alita.

Star Wa what ?

:sparta:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

CerseiSmug.gif

I remember, werent you the one in the JW Weekend thread who called 70-72M for Saturday and then later RTH came in and gave that same range? :hahaha:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Reality is gona slowly sink in and when it does, ouch for the third movie of this iteration of the franchise.

Star Wa what ?

I want what you're on.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I remember, werent you the one in the JW Weekend thread who called 70-72M for Saturday and then later RTH came in and gave that same range? :hahaha:

I know more than what others might expect.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Star Wa what ?

Everyone says it will jump because of 1983 and 2005. Not convinced this will happen. There won’t be a Vader bump like with Sith. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

That Star Wars number is relatively poor, but it's still going to make a crap ton of money regardless. Per usual our expectations were set too high. Plus clearly WOM is in fact mixed. 

I think that some fans were banking on Carrie Fisher death to produce a Ledger-Walker effect and soften the inevitable drop. hence some over-estimations. 

BOM write-up

Spoiler

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Star Wars: The Last Jedi will top the weekend once again, though it's currently looking at a steep, 65% drop or higher with current expectations for a three-day weekend in the range of $68-70 million and a four-day weekend right around $100 million.

Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle brought in an estimated $12.5 million on Friday which brings its cume to $29.1 million after three days as it is now looking at a six-day haul right around $60 million.

Universal's Pitch Perfect 3 debuted in theaters yesterday with an estimated $10.6 million and is expected to bring in around $25 million for the three-day and $35 million for the four-day. The film received an "A-" CinemaScore.

Fox's The Greatest Showman placed fourth on Friday with an estimated $3.1 million putting its three-day cume at $7.7 million as current expectations for a six day haul around $19 million.

Paramount's Downsizing brought in an estimated $2 million on Friday with the studio anticipating $5 million for the three-day and $7 million for the four-day. The film received a rather disappointing "C" CinemaScore.

This weekend's two major expansions performed well with Focus' Darkest Hour bringing in an estimated $1.4 million on Friday, currently looking at a $4.3 million three-day and $6+ million four-day. Fox Searchlight's The Shape of Water brought in an estimated $1.16 million on Friday and is looking at a $3.5 million three-day and a four-day performance right around $5 million.

Finally, WB's release of Father FIgures brought in just $1.36 million on Friday and is looking at a three-day right around $3.5 million and a four-day right around $5 million. The film received a "B-" CinemaScore.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Amen:). (Edit: And dang my used-up likes!)

Following the box office means you get to watch the "impossible" (both good and bad) happen almost every year...and it's only "impossible" until the next film does it...

👍😎 amen.

I saw the Tue figure and saw it was low so I asked why and got called dumb.

The calender accounts for some of the drop.. but going from TFA' 42m to 21m or something... 40% more kids off doesnt drop the number into the abyss where only cameron can see it in his self built submarine.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I think that some fans were banking on Carrie Fisher death to produce a Ledger-Walker effect and soften the inevitable drop. hence some over-estimations. 

Maybe if her role had been bigger but it’s really not, that combined with how controversial Luke is in this movie isn’t exactly LETS SEE THIS 6 TIMES worthy. 

12 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I'm glad to see TLJ underperforming if nothing else for the sake of everyone in here to remember that historical trends are just that.....history.  Seems like anytime someone who hasn't loved the film or has called into question it's legs someone is there to yell 'IT CAN'T DO LESS THAN A 3.5 MULTIPLIER, IT'S NEVER HAPPENED.'  And though the Friday number may just be muted and it gets back on track it still at least ALLOWS for discussion that maybe this isn't connecting with a big number of people (as a few of us have tried to suggest) or maybe repeat viewings just aren't that high.

MovieMan in particular has had some really good posts that have constantly been shut down based off the same old replies of 'it's star wars it won't happen'.  It just very well may.  A discussion is what this place should be, and with a property like SW I expect some people to get a little heated but lately I feel like a lot of people have forgotten that every once in a while a film comes along that doesn't follow the norms for good or for worse.  And we need to allow for there to be space to discuss those without feeling like we're being called an idiot.

Good post. I wouldn't say I'm glad to see it underperforming - actually pretty disappointed - but I do see what you're saying. I know I've sure learned a lesson this week. I'm going forward with zero expectations really.

Come to think of it, my feelings on TLJ's box office closely mirrors my feelings on the film itself. Objectively good movie and good box office performance, but at the end my enthusiasm is rather muted. 

• Like 2