grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is obviously jumping ahead, but if TLJ only does something like a 3x multi which would make it clear WOM was indeed subpar, and then Solo only does something like 600 WW, Disney is going to be concerned about SW fatigue. Things will be reconsidered, plans will shift. They might decide to make IX the most "crowd pleasy" movie ever and take an SW hiatus after 2019. 

Goodness gracious, I really AM seeing people saying that 660m DOM for TLJ would be a sign of trouble for the SW franchise. 

This is exactly why talk of legs and multiplier can be really really REALLY silly sometimes.:sadno:

• Like 6

I think what TLJ is currently making at the box office is what TFA should've been making as well if not for the whole SW starvation from people which helped TFA reached where it did at the BO. I don't think the fan backlash has anything to do with it.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Why?

It would be profitable, please most fans, a fun creative experiment and explores new possibilities for fanboy franchises.

That pretty much what 50 shades of Grey is for the Twilight franchise no ?

Adapt very successful fanfiction into movies is not unheard of.

Same for letting people dictate a movie content, MTV did it in the past, that did lead to terrible result and box office flop. The Room did feel a bit like a movie that could result of a process like that (we want boobs, a scene with a gun, etc....)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fun fact.  TLJ's second Friday had a slightly higher jump than R1's second Friday jump (+37.9 vs +36.3).

It’s doing just fine. I blame Deadline for way overestimating the numbers yesterday. If they said 24 instead of 28, no one would be complaining right now. 

Still believe it will make $70m or so for the weekend and then should be entertaining to watch the holiday boost kick in Monday and beyond. I am very curious to see how good that 3rd weekend is and I think it will be interesting to see if the film can reach $700m total. 

• Like 3

In general, letting Fans write scripts or dictate how a movie should be, leads to three possible things:

1) A bad movie, most likely
2) A mediocre movie, likely
3) A good movie, unlikely

It will never, ever, lead to a GREAT movie. Which, imo, TLJ is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Btw all toy sales have been dipping recently because of Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy (and good gods did they make some bad decisions and are making even more bad decisions already when they've had a reprieve once already).  It's apparently a major point of contention to people who are into Transformers collecting.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Goodness gracious, I really AM seeing people saying that 660m DOM for TLJ would be a sign of trouble for the SW franchise. 

This is exactly why talk of legs and multiplier can be really really REALLY silly sometimes.:sadno:

Clearly if TLJ cannot make 700m DOM or have a 3.6 multiplier then the Star Wars franchise is officially doomed!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You joke, but if Solo is coming a mere 5 months off a mixed reception main entry that fell 40% in WW gross from its predecessor, then Solo could actually flop in terms of being profitable.

I am not sure how much a 40% drop from TLJ would put it but if we are talking about still over 720-750m WW, I doubt Solo being profitable would be in play, it is probably a less than 360m net budget and when you look at that cast, no one is getting first dollar gross big points type, even probably accepting to work for nearly "free" a la Gadot on WW and many others because of the level of opportunity it is for a career.

55 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I first was thinking LJ was the Star Wars version of Lost World but I gues it is the series Batman Returns 

Let's not start getting silly here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Porthos said:

You have to look at it from the long game perspective, like Disney is with the franchise. A 3x multi in December is certainly indicative that the WOM wasn't great. Disney would be stupid to just ignore that going forward. Solo already had its own set of issues that no SW film has ever had, so if that were to actually underpeform at the box office, or even fail to turn a profit, we then have an SW film with mixed reception and one that actually did lackluster numbers at the box office back to back. Now SW fatigue becomes a real concern for Disney, since there's no end in sight at the moment to their annual release strategy. As someone already said, often times  at the box office the next movie will pay for the sins of the last, so that's not good going into IX. Maybe it has a lower OW than anyone expects, in which case it could not afford the same kind of reception TLJ gets and still make it out with a massive profit like TLJ will. It would make a profit, but where would the franchise be at going forward from there? If IX also didn't have great WOM, the franchise would officially be in a true fatigue and now that the main episodes are over there's nothing to stop the Anthology ones from actually bombing if the annual release continues.

So, to make a long story short, Disney has to take measures to ensure the above scenario simply doesn't happen. If they don't, it's not an impossible reality. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

As someone already said, often times  at the box office the next movie will pay for the sins of the last, so that's not good going into IX. Maybe it has a lower OW than anyone expects,

I can see it now...

"Oh my god, IX's OW was $190m! Flop!"

"Well, it's going to make $600m, so it's not a flop!"

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let's think about this just using the domestic gross of the franchise since Disney ruined childhoods er took over

TFA 936

RO 532

TLJ 660(worst case)

2.1 billion in just the US alone 

Giving just a shade over 700 million average.    Yep there's definitely trouble

• Like 2