grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It was probably 2nd in America as well behind Jumanji, they just don't reveal ticket sales in MURICA.

MURICA is trashy as well. They have an orange as president!

Germany is best. Here, TLJ will increase in its 3rd weekend!

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

MURICA is trashy as well. They have an orange as president!

Germany is best. Here, TLJ will increase in its 3rd weekend!

It also increased here when compared to the 2nd weekend. Jumanji and Ferdinand simply increased more :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

And that's with US population increasing about 15-20 million since then.

Doesn't surprise me though. I don't know many young people (generation Z) who still go to the movies regularly. That's why studios are producing so many remakes and sequels and playing so much on the nostalgia factor.

When baby-boomers die, these numbers will drop like a rock. It's not going to be pretty.

I really don't understand where this idea is coming from that Hollywood suddenly started to care all about sequels. This is nothing new, it has been like that for ages.

All one really needs to do is check the recent topic about opening weekend records from the past.

Just a few examples:

top 5 openings of alltime at the end of 1983:

The Return of the Jedi, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Jaws 3-D, Superman III, Rocky III

1984 saw Indy 2 and Star Trek III enter the top 5. 1985 had Rambo 2 and Rocky IV do the same. 1986 had the fourth Star Trek, 1987 the second Beverly Hills Cop, 1988 Crocodile Dundee II, 1989 Indy 3, Ghostbusters 2 and Back to the Future 2. 1991 had Terminator 2, 1992 Lethal Weapon 3, Batman Returns and Home Alone 2.

Sequels have been delivering many of the biggest blockbusters for decades now, and they were also delviering most of the big openings. Not surprisingly, seeing how having a fanbase leads to increased early demand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

It's legacy? Come on bud. SW cemented its legacy in 1983.

Yes this is an under performance. But out of 9 films its still bringing in 600+ million. The legacy will be fine. And E9 will be fine as well. Youre being a bit hyperbolic.

I don't broad stroke the legacy of the 1977 Star Wars film onto the entire series as you might. Every film after the first has it's issues and none have approached the success or acclaim of the original. If you want to say anything " Star Wars" carries the same legacy then I guess you believe  Phantom Menace is equal to a New Hope? Surely you can see each film carries it's own legacy within the greater scope of the series. 

And since I'm bringing up Phantom Menace, lets talk about how that was received versus how it has changed over the years. That film was in theaters for seven months. The Force Awakens was in theaters less than six. Look up Youtube at all the fans coming out from the first showings. Everyone loved it. Everything hated about it today was praised when the hysteria of the moment controlled everyone's perspective. And yet that film nor any of the other prequels won a single Oscar for effects during it's run.  You think that wasn't part of the Star Wars legacy in the first trilogy? So Last Jedi plays early on to the same notes as TPM

The great advantage these films have today is they enjoy enormous profits from the front loaded business thanks to 3D and IMAX showings and the contracts Disney tie theaters to. If all you have is that box office to offer as legacy at this early stage then I offer you Phantom Menace as the contradiction to that logic. Adjusted for inflation TLJ can't hold TPM's jockstrap. So lets see what happens with this film and where opinions settle. This has a much greater divide early on than Phantom Menace had and allot more people went to Phantom Menace and gave it steady business for some time. How can you say inflation of tickets and the technology of 3D and IMAX can be overlooked versus how many people are actually showing up? 

With ALL the advantages Star Wars has stacked in its favor thanks to the theater contracts for the big screens, 3D and IMAX, it STILL struggles to remain atop after a mere three weeks...and lost to Jumanji on New Years day. How can you say that validates this movie when it tries to strangle off competition by holding pricey halls and formats all to itself? Theaters don't have a choice here. 

This was the top 10 in the Netherlands of 2017. It seems like we don’t like comic books here. Ofc star wars en MOTOE are not out of theatres yet:

1 Despicable Me 3 UPI $11,968,819 6/29
2 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Disney $11,245,195 5/25
3 Beauty and the Beast (2017) Disney $8,669,457 3/29
4 The Fate of the Furious UPI $8,577,673 4/13
5 Dunkirk WB $8,100,000 7/20
6 The Boss Baby Fox $7,187,560 4/20
7 Fifty Shades Darker UPI $6,332,203 2/9
8 It WB $6,200,000 9/7
9 Star Wars: The Last Jedi Disney $6,073,534 12/13
10 Murder on the Orient Express (2017) Fox $4,582,242 11/9

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

I don't broad stroke the legacy of the 1977 Star Wars film onto the entire series as you might. Every film after the first has it's issues and none have approached the success or acclaim of the original. If you want to say anything " Star Wars" carries the same legacy then I guess you believe  Phantom Menace is equal to a New Hope? Surely you can see each film carries it's own legacy within the greater scope of the series. 

And since I'm bringing up Phantom Menace, lets talk about how that was received versus how it has changed over the years. That film was in theaters for seven months. The Force Awakens was in theaters less than six. Look up Youtube at all the fans coming out from the first showings. Everyone loved it. Everything hated about it today was praised when the hysteria of the moment controlled everyone's perspective. And yet that film nor any of the other prequels won a single Oscar for effects during it's run.  You think that wasn't part of the Star Wars legacy in the first trilogy? So Last Jedi plays early on to the same notes as TPM

The great advantage these films have today is they enjoy enormous profits from the front loaded business thanks to 3D and IMAX showings and the contracts Disney tie theaters to. If all you have is that box office to offer as legacy at this early stage then I offer you Phantom Menace as the contradiction to that logic. Adjusted for inflation TLJ can't hold TPM's jockstrap. So lets see what happens with this film and where opinions settle. This has a much greater divide early on than Phantom Menace had and allot more people went to Phantom Menace and gave it steady business for some time. How can you say inflation of tickets and the technology of 3D and IMAX can be overlooked versus how many people are actually showing up? 

With ALL the advantages Star Wars has stacked in its favor thanks to the theater contracts for the big screens, 3D and IMAX, it STILL struggles to remain atop after a mere three weeks...and lost to Jumanji on New Years day. How can you say that validates this movie when it tries to strangle off competition by holding pricey halls and formats all to itself? Theaters don't have a choice here. 

You are really, in all seriousness, comparing TLJ, the MIDDLE CHAPTER of this trilogy to TPM, one of the most-hyped films of all time? I have no words for that.

Also, that last paragraph is nonsense. Jurassic World won the weekend crown 3 times, The Avengers won it 3 times. Does that make them failures, because some other film won the respective 4th weekend? I hope you know the right answer to that. 

10 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

well it's not like Jumanji's Xth weekend is close to TLJ's Xth weekend. next weekend Jumanji's 3rd will be beating TLJ's 4th. compare the same weekends and see the difference.

also number of weekends at top is a lame metric. for example Mockingjay Part 2 stayed 1 for 4 weekends in it's lame run.

Nov 20–22 1 $102,665,981 - 4,175 - $24,591 $102,665,981 1
Nov 27–29 1 $52,004,595 -49.3% 4,175 - $12,456 $198,545,129 2
Dec 4–6 1 $18,857,547 -63.7% 4,086 -89 $4,615 $227,369,547 3
Dec 11–13 1 $11,413,316 -39.5% 3,651 -435 $3,126 $244,604,272 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

well it's not like Jumanji's Xth weekend is close to TLJ's Xth weekend. next weekend Jumanji's 3rd will be beating TLJ's 4th. compare the same weekends and see the difference.

also number of weekends at top is a lame metric. for example Mockingjay Part 2 stayed 1 for 4 weekends in it's lame run.

Nov 20–22 1 $102,665,981 - 4,175 - $24,591 $102,665,981 1
Nov 27–29 1 $52,004,595 -49.3% 4,175 - $12,456 $198,545,129 2
Dec 4–6 1 $18,857,547 -63.7% 4,086 -89 $4,615 $227,369,547 3
Dec 11–13 1 $11,413,316 -39.5% 3,651 -435 $3,126 $244,604,272 4

How succesfull a film is depends on the actual gross of the movie, not on the weekend wins.

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Apart from Spiderman, The Prequels were sort of the biggest trilogies in 2000's domestically. 

What about Harry Potter.

The legacy was good and tarnished after the PT. Thankfully too. The OT is great in many, many ways - especially the first two - but it was nice to see the PT bring Star Wars back alongside usual blockbuster fare. The legacy is the OT. Nothing of the PT forward is anything more than Pirates 1 through 5, Harry Potter 1 through 7.2, Spider-man 1 through 3, the MCU, et cetera. They're just big blockbusters. There is no novelty. One of great box office moments was Attack of the Clones finishing behind Sorcerer's Stone and Spider-man DOM. Something like this may well happen again sooner rather than later with Star Wars. I wholly expect Lion King, if not a dud, to gross more than Episode IX. 

Can't wait to see the numbers come in... Could be a photo finish.

23 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

Academy Awards. Eh. Legacy. Eh. A Star Wars movie craves not these things.

1 hour ago, New Year New Panda said:

This is also why I’m really skeptical at some people thinking Solo will do in the high 200m to low 300m range.  AOTC, the franchise low, would still be AoU levels (at least) with premium theaters.  

Disneys been really strong at quality control (even if it arguably prevents some great movies from being made and forces more decent ones).  I really doubt Solo will be all that bad, I actually think Howard probably has a good handle on it.  

I think the lowest Solo goes is the high 300m range, and I think it caps out around RO levels.  It was No 5 on fandango’s anticipation meter with no marketing material at all.  It’s certainly a contender for the biggest 2017 movie, depending on how JW, IW and I2 do.

2018. Happy New Year. :)

• Like 1