grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

I really don't understand where this idea is coming from that Hollywood suddenly started to care all about sequels. This is nothing new, it has been like that for ages.

Not at all, it is relatively recent:

ZZ567CFADD1-550x333.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

What about Harry Potter.

And Pirates two and three especially. Lord of the Rings too. These all did more WW I believe. Phantom Menace was a freak DOM. Clones and Sith not as much. A handful of flicks released around the same time did more or, even, a lot more DOM.

29 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Apart from Spiderman, The Prequels were sort of the biggest trilogies in 2000's domestically. 

TDK trio averages 397 dom, more than the sw-prequels average (unadjusted) 387 

535+448+207 vs 471+310+380

edit:

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

And Pirates two and three especially. Lord of the Rings too. These all did more WW I believe. Phantom Menace was a freak DOM. Clones and Sith not as much. A handful of flicks released around the same time did more or, even, a lot more DOM.

POTC and IM trios were hefty with an average 346-347

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The legacy was good and tarnished after the PT. Thankfully too. The OT is great in many, many ways - especially the first two - but it was nice to see the PT bring Star Wars back alongside usual blockbuster fare. The legacy is the OT. Nothing of the PT forward is anything more than Pirates 1 through 5, Harry Potter 1 through 7.2, Spider-man 1 through 3, the MCU, et cetera. They're just big blockbusters. There is no novelty. One of great box office moments was Attack of the Clones finishing behind Sorcerer's Stone and Spider-man DOM. Something like this may well happen again sooner rather than later with Star Wars. I wholly expect Lion King, if not a dud, to gross more than Episode IX. 

Can't wait to see the numbers come in... Could be a photo finish.

Well, if anything you can't accuse the current Star Wars box office of being "boring". 

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/948235232762875906

THE DISASTER ARTIST $932K 3-Day Weekend $1.24M 4-Day Weekend $18.17M Total (North America)

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/948236096030244864

LADY BIRD $1.46M 3-Day Weekend $1.90M 4-Day Weekend $31.86M Total (North America) #LadyBird #BoxOffice

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You are really, in all seriousness, comparing TLJ, the MIDDLE CHAPTER of this trilogy to TPM, one of the most-hyped films of all time? I have no words for that.

Also, that last paragraph is nonsense. Jurassic World won the weekend crown 3 times, The Avengers won it 3 times. Does that make them failures, because some other film won the respective 4th weekend? I hope you know the right answer to that. 

When has ANY Star Wars film not been hyped to the moon? You think TFA was not successful because of the nostalgic hype it catered to? REALLY? So you think the next film would not benefit from that? REALLY? 

And I don't drink the Kool-aid on this middle chapter nonsense. You're watching Star Wars 8...period.  I was in theaters back in 1977 to see Star Wars. It had no chapter reference. It was one movie. It was an event. It changed how people went to movies, made movies, and merchandised movies. No film in this series has ever approached that achievement since. And when Lucas actually started the next Star Wars movies he called it Star Wars II. So spare me the middle chapter theory. You're too far in the marketing hole on that one. 

In terms of my last paragraph reference, I NEVER said anything about the third weekend results having meaning other than to illustrate that even with a stacked market in Star Wars favor (retaining the biggest halls and format screens), it still can not strangle off good ole fashion demand. I wasn't comparing it to Avengers. I was making that distinction because I was responding to the previous comment that Jedi's box office was already sowing up it's legacy in the franchise. I was illustrating that big returns early does not mean how the film will last in the eyes of fans or the general public for that matter. We have not crossed that territory to know yet. 

Phantom Menace was in theaters seven months when it was brand new. When Lucas wanted to bring it back in theaters as a 3D event, it barely made any money. So trying to project the relevance of Last Jedi at this early stage is pretty pointless since it doesn't retain the hallmarks of a film that will go down as one of the most popular or most successful. That is my point. 

• Like 1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

• Like 1

Just now, MaxAggressor said:

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI $52.66M 3-Day Weekend (Est.) $67.16M 4-Day Weekend (Est.) $531.9M Total (North America)...

This is the 3rd round of estimates we've had this weekend (more if you count non-studio ones). Bring on the actuals please, studios.

So, weekend 4 - most folks think Jumanji takes it even with TLJ keeping 3-5 screens for ONE LAST WEEK at most midsized and smaller theaters (can I say, even with MLK weekend, I see a bloodbath for TLJ for that #5 weekend, once theaters can get out from under the terms:)...does TLJ take the #2 spot for next weekend, or will it fall further??

Edited by TwoMisfits

25 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

ZZ567CFADD1-550x333.jpg

And here is how 2017 look as of right now

1 Beauty and the Beast (Remake)

2 The Fate of the Furious (Sequel)

3 Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Sequel)

4 Despicable Me 3 (Sequel)

5 Spider-Man: Homecoming (Kind of a sequel within MCU, familiar character)

6 Wolf Warrior 2 (Chinese Sequel)

7 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Sequel)

8 Thor: Ragnarok (Sequel)

9 Wonder Woman (Kind of a sequel within DCEU, known character)

10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Sequel)

Also, 2001 is in significantly better shape than 2011 simply because I mostly see adaptations from books as "original" movies, Harry Potter, LOTR and Shrek all started a successful new film franchises. 2011 is in roughly the same shape as 2017.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

ZZ567CFADD1-550x333.jpg

:ph34r: Sequels/Remakes.

This is also misleading statistic. All it says is that the highest grossing films have been sequels/remakes, not that studios haven't always cared about sequels. The fact that most of the movies in the top 1981/1991 had sequels. Hollywood has always loved sequels, this isn't some new phenomenon, they've been churning out sequels for a century now.

Also, if Father of the Bride is a "sequel" so is LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. (Also can argue that Beauty and the Beast, Silence of the Lambs, Robin Hood, and Addams family, are sequels, by that lists logic.)

RO's Monday was 15.9 ... 1.5 ahead of TLJ. If the delayed holiday thing plays out we should still see better holds for Tue-Thu for TLJ, but due to a lower Monday that could only mean matching RO's numbers instead of beating it.

Potter dominated the 00s-10s in terms of legacy and pop culture when it came to both the books and movies. The movies were massive, and they were the only series from that period to hold steady with admissions. Potters 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 all sold between 40m-45m tickets (the outliers being HP1 with 54.9m tickets and DH1 with 37m tickets). Potter was VERY big domestically, but most of its power came internationally where it was second to none. And it shows with Fantastic Beasts...it was only the 12th biggest film domestically of its year, but the fourth biggest overseas. It was actually bigger than #1-3 if you removed China (I think). 

• Like 1