grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

1 minute ago, boomboom234 said:

I was thinking to make LK over E9 domestic and WW for 2019 does anyone else think it will happen?

Depends on the quality of the film obviously, but if it's on the same level as BatB then Lion King will crush E9 worldwide and domestic will be 50/50.

When TA did 623+ there was some talk that it might not have beaten TDK's 533+ (at that point before the 2nd release) worth of admissions due to Nolan's 3D aversion. If that's truly the case then after a few more years of inflation I don't think TLJ will beat TDK's admissions even if it does 630-640. Wonder if JW beat them too.

4 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Worldwide would be a fair bet, but I wouldn't put money on domestic atm.

I don't know LK can break 600 pretty easily the original sold almost 90 million tickets per BOM. It's also the animated movie nothing else really compares in terms of popularity and nostalgia

Edited by boomboom234

21 minutes ago, a2knet said:

When TA did 623+ there was some talk that it might not have beaten TDK's 533+ (at that point before the 2nd release) worth of admissions due to Nolan's 3D aversion. If that's truly the case then after a few more years of inflation I don't think TLJ will beat TDK's admissions even if it does 630-640. Wonder if JW beat them too.

JW and TDK are very similar in admissions around 70 million. TLJ will probably end up 60-65 million in ticket sales.

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
Just now, WrathOfHan said:

That stops this year.

6380180677bc70c0f7f9afc90532cb47

You really wanna be a Marvel fanboy?

Cause I'd bet Han Solo over Thanos any day of the week. Especially with Ron Howard directing.

#IAmOnewiththeForce

• Disbelief 1

Just now, Coco Bottle said:

Cause I'd bet Han Solo over Thanos any day of the week. Especially with Ron Howard directing.

#IAmOnewiththeForce

Why is Marvel's Avengers the only option that can beat Solo?  I mean, Beauty and the Beast was the biggest threat this year...and last I checked, she didn't have superpowers:)...

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Potter dominated the 00s-10s in terms of legacy and pop culture when it came to both the books and movies. The movies were massive, and they were the only series from that period to hold steady with admissions. Potters 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 all sold between 40m-45m tickets (the outliers being HP1 with 54.9m tickets and DH1 with 37m tickets). Potter was VERY big domestically, but most of its power came internationally where it was second to none. And it shows with Fantastic Beasts...it was only the 12th biggest film domestically of its year, but the fourth biggest overseas. It was actually bigger than #1-3 if you removed China (I think). 

i also think it's actually continuing and expanding that dominance into this decade...

i have SO many friends who found the series in their early to mid 20's and honestly love it as much i have since i was 11.  it also seems to have a more even split between the male and female fans, which is another really unique property to the series.  

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Why is Marvel's Avengers the only option that can beat Solo?  I mean, Beauty and the Beast was the biggest threat this year...and last I checked, she didn't have superpowers:)...

The biggest threat is obviously the dinosaur movie.

5 minutes ago, Coco Bottle said:

#IAmOnewiththeForce

I am a Star Wars loonie and even I know this will no contest. Thanos will mop the floor with Solo.