grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

I mean TLJ is still the highest grossing domestic film of the year... And will pass it WW soon. TLJ is a failure what will Disney ever do to recover. They lost on buying star wars. Better sell the franchise. Fire every writer, and get rid of Kennedy, fire all the composer's even the music is shit. It can't survive the winter.

3 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

Those reviews don't count.  Only magic positive reviews that Empire can see all by himself that were created by the tooth fairy and Santa Clause, count.  Any negative reviews are just a silent minority bunch of trolls.  

Exactly...lol.

I never understood the strong push back on this forum against the idea of the movie being divisive. It was like some people were outraged at the notion of people disliking a Star Wars movie they loved. 

If it was a DCEU movie or Marvel movie, people would have jumped all over the movie’s reception and it’s average multiplier.

I understand people liked the movie (majority of people seem to) but a whole lot of people obviously didn’t and that’s ok. There’s no need to manufacture justification for the mixed audience scores TLJ is receiving.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly...lol.

I never understood the strong push back on this forum against the idea of the movie being divisive. It was like some people were outraged at the notion of people disliking a Star Wars movie they loved. 

If it was a DCEU movie or Marvel movie, people would have jumped all over the movie’s reception and it’s average multiplier.

I understand people liked the movie (majority of people seem to) but a whole lot of people obviously didn’t and that’s ok. There’s no need to manufacture justification for the mixed audience scores TLJ is receiving.

It's not that we don't think it's divisive at all. It's we know, imdb, RT, and Metacritic. Aren't the most accurate representation of how an audience feels. We have more scientific polling like, ComScore, Cinemascore, Survey Monkey even did a large poll on this subject. Those sources don't back up the notion that a majority of the audience didn't like this movie. That being said having debated this subject for two weeks. It won't change a view. Because a minority of this thread doesn't understand the difference between scientific polling and easy manipulated polling. 

3 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

It's not that we don't think it's divisive at all. It's we know, imdb, RT, and Metacritic. Aren't the most accurate representation of how an audience feels. We have more scientific polling like, ComScore, Cinemascore, Survey Monkey even did a large poll on this subject. Those sources don't back up the notion that a majority of the audience didn't like this movie. That being said having debated this subject for two weeks. It won't change a view. Because a minority of this thread doesn't understand the difference between scientific polling and easy manipulated polling. 

Cinemascore scientific? 

Okay, dude. 

2 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly...lol.

Ahh... this straw man argument once again.

No one is saying that this movie is not divisive among a segment of Star Wars fanboys.  How large of segment is hard to tell.

However it is pretty obvious that the RT audience rating is not very accurate.  I'm guess the real rating is pretty close to what our rating is in the review forum.

We'll see in 2 years.  With this toxic WOM SW IX should open around 110M.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I never said majority of people hate the movie. I said the majority like/love it but a lot of people didn’t like the movie.

Also, doesn’t Cinemascore use a ridiculously small sample size in its surveys? 

I don’t agree that IMDb, RT and Metacritic are totally questionable because a large number of users dislike TLJ. Yes, user scores can be manipulated on these sites but overtime they tend to even themselves out as more and more people see the movies. The final user scores on those sites often reflect what a large number of movie goers feel.

Besides, if the aforementioned sites are showing something and other surveys are showing something else, that pretty much proves the movie is divisive.

• Like 2

Damn, the middle ground here really is lost forever.   Tired of the people coming in with their snappy retorts like oh how will Star Wars survive. 

There is a middle ground.  It didn't make as much as it could have.  It's more divisive than the last one.  It fell off quite a bit overseas which is more concerning than what is going on in the states.  

That plus it looking like the Solo movie is not going to be spectacular. There's nothing wrong with saying it could have been more. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Ahh... this straw man argument once again.

No one is saying that this movie is not divisive among a segment of Star Wars fanboys.  How large of segment is hard to tell.

However it is pretty obvious that the RT audience rating is not very accurate.  I'm guess the real rating is pretty close to what our rating is in the review forum.

We'll see in 2 years.  With this toxic WOM SW IX should open around 110M.  

I don’t see how it’s a strawman when folks are still arguing in the review thread. I still remember how hard some users came at me when I said I didn’t like some creative decisions in the movie. And yes, some people here are still saying the movie is not divisive. I’m not sure why you are saying no one is saying this when they’ve been heated arguments about this all week long.

And I never mentioned toxic WOM, so I’m not even going to address that.

• Like 1

Assuming JL adds a 2+ more in the rest of the run to make it to 228, the OW + Rest of the Run split is looking like

93.8 + 134.2 = 228.0 JL [2.43x]

88.4 + 137.9 = 226.3 LOGAN [2.56x]

98.8 + 127.0 = 225.8 F8 [2.29x]

4 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I don’t agree that IMDb, RT and Metacritic are totally questionable because a large number of users dislike TLJ. Yes, user scores can be manipulated on these sites but overtime they tend to even themselves out as more and more people see the movies. The final user scores on those sites often reflect what a large number of movie goers feel.

Besides, if the aforementioned sites are showing something and other surveys are showing something else, that pretty much proves the movie is divisive.

LOL no.  The surveys that can be manipulated are showing one thing and the surveys that are hard to manipulate are showing something else.

Let's get real.  A movie disliked by 1/2 the people that saw it do not end up in the top 10 of all time DOM box office.

• Like 3