grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

Just now, Sal said:

Wait, does someone here seriously think Shape of Water is bestiality?  I really hope they don't enjoy any kind of cross-species romances involving fantasy creatures (like elves or mermaids) or aliens, cuz this is pretty much in that same category.

There's gonna be a sizable portion of audiences who finds the central conceit off-putting. Even if they enjoy other elements, that'll still make them somewhat uncomfortable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sal said:

Wait, does someone here seriously think Shape of Water is bestiality?  I really hope they don't enjoy any kind of cross-species romances involving fantasy creatures (like elves or mermaids) or aliens, cuz this is pretty much in that same category.

This bestiality scarred me for life. 

ArwenandAragorn1.jpg?itok=WHjycAlB

Someone really needs to put an end to this cinematic glorification.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

There's gonna be a sizable portion of audiences who finds the central conceit off-putting. Even if they enjoy other elements, that'll still make them somewhat uncomfortable.

Yeah, that’s how I felt. Thoroughly well made movie in every respect but you’re right, for me, the main point or main reveal is disconcerting haha. 

And no... I don’t fantasize about elves or orcs or Ents...?! I’m kind of a vanilla guy, I guess.

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Hmm.. I didn’t find the main girl good looking at all. But the two girls in Jumanji, now that was more like it!

There are actually three girls in Jumanji :sparta:.

Well, two characters that are girls.  But three actors that are girls.  Except when they go into the game, it's just one girl.  Also, I'm still confused if the film passes the Bechdel test or not.  Does it count if the two characters that talk are female in the real world, but when they talk, it's a man and a woman talking?

Edited by That One Guy

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Does Shape of Water have any real sci-fi action or is it slow and plodding love story?

There's a few scenes of action, not really sci-fi action though.  Mostly about the connection made between Sally Hawkins and the fish creature, which is very beautiful.  Also Michael Shannon hams it up a lot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There are actually three girls in Jumanji :sparta:.

Well, two characters that are girls.  But three actors that are girls.  Except when they go into the game, it's just one girl.  Also, I'm still confused if the film passes the Bechdel test or not.  Does it count if the two characters that talk are female in the real world, but when they talk, it's a man and a woman talking?

Jack Black was thicc and he was Bethany soooo...