Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: Jumanji 10.2, TLJ 7.9 (Asgard)

23 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The Last Jedi is now the Number 6 movie of all time DOM and the 4th highest-grossing this decade, having still a good chance for Number 5 all-time and number 3 for the decade.

Edit: BOM updated its international figures:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $531,511,829    49.1%
Foreign:  $551,400,000    50.9%

Worldwide:  $1,082,911,829  

What’s OS total look to head toward now? 

Doesn’t look like it’ll have enough gas to get pass Ultron WW. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That’s a massive lead for Jumanji considering the PLF boost and contractual obligations for TLJ. Once the holiday boost is over on Thursday, TLJ will be lucky to pull RO numbers.

I said before I thought it would get 600m domestic.  Call that crazy if you want, but if it ends up at the lower end of the spectrum (615-625 or worse) I was closer to the mark than people projecting 700+.  I'm still pessimistic about its future legs, they will be very short.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

What’s OS total look to head toward now? 

Doesn’t look like it’ll have enough gas to get pass Ultron WW. 

700 OS? Isn't released in China yet but it looks like it will make about half of what TFA made, so around 60-70 million China.

• Like 1

So does TLJ hit $600m this time next week or will it need the weekend frame of 1/12 to do it(where it passes it easily)?

I have trouble buying the narrative from some camps that a film doing over $600m+ domestic is bad. And it's not done. It'll have MLK weekend as well to pad it's bottom line. Be in theaters, discount if that, through February.

Is $700m domestic even off the table?

1 minute ago, mikee11 said:

700 OS? Isn't released in China yet but it looks like it will make about half of what TFA made, so around 60-70 million China.

If 60-70m in China would come true, it should safely pass 700m OS. The remaining international markets should do something between 650-675m on their own, probably more to the upper end of that range.

• Like 2

Just now, mikee11 said:

Only about 90M more from existing OS markets off of a 16M day it just had? I think ballpark is more around 750M. 

A local comedy is breaking out big time in China. And with many other local releases still playing and Jumanji coming, I think China total gonna be closer to 50M

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Anakin in ROTS literally quotes George W. Bush: "If you are not with me, you're my enemy".

That quote literally goes back to the Bible, so I wouldn't give GWB too much credit:)...

Matthew 12:30 "Whoever is not with Me is against Me"...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

So does TLJ hit $600m this time next week or will it need the weekend frame of 1/12 to do it(where it passes it easily)?

I have trouble buying the narrative from some camps that a film doing over $600m+ domestic is bad. And it's not done. It'll have MLK weekend as well to pad it's bottom line. Be in theaters, discount if that, through February.

700M would require TLJ to have really good legs from now on, which, based on its holds since opening, really doesnt seem likely.

Only some crazy persons here would say any movie doing north of 600M is doing "bad". A lot of people here (including me) just had higher hopes for its domestic total. But any film getting in the Top 10 DOM all time is doing nothing short of amazing. We're just spoiled from TFA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sam said:

Only about 90M more from existing OS markets off of a 16M day it just had? I think ballpark is more around 750M. 

A local comedy is breaking out big time in China. And with many other local releases still playing and Jumanji coming, I think China total gonna be closer to 50M

No way this makes $750m from the remaining markets. We are still in holiday season and especially yesterday is traditionally a very big day after a generally quiet NYD.

I would say low 700s with China is a good If not slightly optimistic bet. Or were you saying 750m WITH China? That would make more sense but still optimistic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

700M would require TLJ to have really good legs from now on, which, based on its holds since opening, really doesnt seem likely.

Only some crazy persons here would say any movie doing north of 600M is doing "bad". A lot of people here (including me) just had higher hopes for its domestic total. But any film getting in the Top 10 DOM all time is doing nothing short of amazing. We're just spoiled from TFA.

It's doing bad relative to expectations after the 220m opening weekend, which is all I believe the crazy persons are saying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

700m is pretty much not happening at this point

56 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Sounds more like the very opposite to me, those people never really got Star Wars. Star Wars has always been about politics. Right from the get go. There are a ton of references in the original movies, from the obvious anti-fascist message of a rebellion fighting for freedom against an evil Empire, to a bunch of "backwater" beings defeating a technologically superior enemy (comparison to Vietnam). This is George Lucas we are talking about, he has always been a liberal who disagreed with certain political elites.

in the end, the olds films had relatable themes to all while TLJ was not to the same level. A lot the themes in TLJ about politics just went over people's head or just made people roll their eyes at them. 

It seems to me some people (media) are defending the film solely for political reasons then the film itself. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's doing bad relative to expectations after the 220m opening weekend, which is all I believe the crazy persons are saying!

I only mean a very small amount of people here that called TLJ a "flop" or 600M+ DOM "bad". There were some of them. I dont mean anyone who calls it "disappointing relative to expectations", which i think is the general consensus. Hell, i wanted 700M+ too :lol:, though i personally think its still doing great. I mean, its now the 6th highest-grossing movie of all time DOM unadjusted.

If this ends around 1.3B or so, I do believe it'll take the dubious honour or the biggest drop in actual money between sequels (ie not % wise).

I *think* the current holder of that record is Alice 2, which dropped off by 726M. TLJ needs to hit 1.342B to not have that 'title.' I've been semi off the grid for the past few days so I'm not quite up to date on what it's looking at OS-wise.

I think Avatar 2 has a good chance of dropping more than TLJ/Alice 2 did though. My current out-of-my-ass prediction for that is 1.85B WW, which would be a drop of 850M. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

If this ends around 1.3B or so, I do believe it'll take the dubious honour or the biggest drop in actual money between sequels (ie not % wise).

I *think* the current holder of that record is Alice 2, which dropped off by 726M. TLJ needs to hit 1.342B to not have that 'title.' I've been semi off the grid for the past few days so I'm not quite up to date on what it's looking at OS-wise.

I think Avatar 2 has a good chance of dropping more than TLJ/Alice 2 did though. My current out-of-my-ass prediction for that is 1.85B WW, which would be a drop of 850M. 

Well it seems easy to drop 726m when you made $2.78 billion dollars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Well it seems easy to drop 726m when you made $2.78 billion dollars.

Yeah, it is! That's the crazy thing about Avatar. The sequel could literally make a billion less than the first and still be in the top 5 highest grossing films worldwide. 

Just now, aabattery said:

Yeah, it is! That's the crazy thing about Avatar. The sequel could literally make a billion less than the first and still be in the top 5 highest grossing films worldwide. 

1,78B would be a total flop though. I heared from a wise man (@IronJimbo) that anything under 2.5B for Avatar 2 would be disappointing.

• Like 1