Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: Jumanji 10.2, TLJ 7.9 (Asgard)

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Script and screenplay for Molly's game is definitely the best one that I have seen this year. And Jessica Chastain and Idris elba's just sell it to perfection. It's not a movie that I'm going to forget about anytime soon.

Honest question, pardon my ignorance, but are script and screenplay different things?

Edited by ThiagoMaia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Honest question, pardon my ignorance, but are scrip and screenplay different things?

I don't think there is a difference.  I don't know why I mentioned them both.  Unless I'm mistaken, they are basically the same.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't think there is a difference.  I don't know why I mentioned them both.  Unless I'm mistaken, they are basically the same.

They are essentially the same. "Script" is however a term often used during the production of a movie, "screenplay" more often then not after production is finished.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

PS: I'll end the laughably silly "legs" argument real fast. The Blair Witch Project has some of the best legs in modern cinema history and managed most of its incredible gross after opening weekend. Yet I think MOST moviegoers agree that it was an enormous pile of crap. I don't know anyone who defends that film. I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen that went to theaters. But I guess its "amazing legs" indicate the incredible word of mouth that it was the greatest film of all time. OR, maybe they just indicated it was a curiosity and that people had to see for themselves. 

Many serious cinephile has that movie in their top 250 and it is in the 2000 most acclaimed movie of all times.

I think it is a really brilliant piece of art (including is marketing) and would happily defend it.

15 hours ago, baumer said:

You and I have no idea what a film like Star Wars or the Avengers or Jurassic World would do in an era that didn't have android boxes where you can watch the films on line two weeks after they get released in theaters.

The Phantom menace give some idea, I mean there were hundreds and hundreds of movies released in that era, how much Titanic dominated them vs how much Avengers and JW dominated their era is a good way to compare run.

We do not know how much Crosby would have scored point exactly in Greztky/Lemieux time when the nhl was a much more offensive league, but safe to say it would have been less than them.

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Many serious cinephile has that movie in their top 250 and it is in the 2000 most acclaimed movie of all times.

I think it is a really brilliant piece of art (including is marketing) and would happily defend it.

The Phantom menace give some idea, I mean there were hundreds and hundreds of movies released in that era, how much Titanic dominated them vs how much Avengers and JW dominated their era is a good way to compare run.

We do not know how much Crosby would have scored point exactly in Greztky/Lemieux time when the nhl was a much more offensive league, but safe to say it would have been less than them.

Ha, well I'm glad you enjoy it, I think BWP is a terrible movie with terrible acting. I would be embarrassed if I directed something that shitty. I'd love to have the money, but they were too stupid to get that right, either, as they sold all rights for $1M and split it 6 ways. That's what happens when people without money don't consult financial advisors. They think that's a lot of money, but it isn't at all. It's chunk change. They should have agreed to sell it for $1M but negotiated profit sharing if it made more than $20M at the box office, with a graduated participation for each milestone like $50M, $100M, etc. The studio would have went for it because they wouldn't have imagined it would make that much anyway. 

Titanic dominated what exactly? I'll defend Titanic's incredible box office run as one of the best of all time, and the best of the modern era, but it had historically weak competition. It had in fact some of the worst competition ever in an era when the winter was a wasteland. It didn't beat anything at the box office. It regularly competed against garbage and was the only legitimate choice for movies to watch for months. During its first 15 weeks, just one movie opened to more than $20M and that was on its opening weekend - James Bond. The next movie to make $20M on a weekend dethroned Titanic. I'm sure it would have made a killing wherever it opened, but let's not pretend it faced any sort of competition during its run. It didn't.

11 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Titanic dominated what exactly? I'll defend Titanic's incredible box office run as one of the best of all time, and the best of the modern era, but it had historically weak competition.

Every movie released 5 year's before and 5 after, all in a similar era, that all didn't had Netflix, short theatrical windows, android box, etc....

A box office run can pretty much only be judged by how much it did versus others movies from that era and by how much it did beat the other average top 5 movies of the time will tell us (with the variance of the time), how much a similar phenomenon would look like today.

11 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It regularly competed against garbage and was the only legitimate choice for movies to watch for months

To be fair, lot of distributor moved title away post-release to avoid Titanic phenomenon.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Ha, well I'm glad you enjoy it, I think BWP is a terrible movie with terrible acting. I would be embarrassed if I directed something that shitty. I'd love to have the money, but they were too stupid to get that right, either, as they sold all rights for $1M and split it 6 ways. That's what happens when people without money don't consult financial advisors. They think that's a lot of money, but it isn't at all. It's chunk change. They should have agreed to sell it for $1M but negotiated profit sharing if it made more than $20M at the box office, with a graduated participation for each milestone like $50M, $100M, etc. The studio would have went for it because they wouldn't have imagined it would make that much anyway. 

Titanic dominated what exactly? I'll defend Titanic's incredible box office run as one of the best of all time, and the best of the modern era, but it had historically weak competition. It had in fact some of the worst competition ever in an era when the winter was a wasteland. It didn't beat anything at the box office. It regularly competed against garbage and was the only legitimate choice for movies to watch for months. During its first 15 weeks, just one movie opened to more than $20M and that was on its opening weekend - James Bond. The next movie to make $20M on a weekend dethroned Titanic. I'm sure it would have made a killing wherever it opened, but let's not pretend it faced any sort of competition during its run. It didn't.

You should compare it with what was the biggest movie after if from let's say thr past 5 and next 5 years and then you realise it is the most impressive BO run of the modern eta and I doubt If that's arguable.

Also I keep hearing people trying to argue that a movie grossing an X amount of money today is comparable to a movie grossing the same in late 90s/early 00s.

I am aware about piracy,strraming etc but that would only make sense for DOM. There is no way the cons of the present outweigh all the developing markets that are offering huge numbers nowadays. Titanic's OS money is probably worth another extra 500m in today's climate. And even that's kinda conservative maybe.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cory said:

Sony getting their biggest non-Spidey hit in 2 decades from something that just kind of happened without any real zeitgeist pull is a very strange way to end the year.

that too against sw8. no one can write this script. box office stories are more entertaining than all the movies that release in the year.

2 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

It's kinda rare to see people downplay Titanic's boxoffice. I mean downplaying Titanic can be seen a lot, but downplay its boxoffice? That's a rare thing.

hate can blind

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

It's kinda rare to see people downplay Titanic's boxoffice. I mean downplaying Titanic can be seen a lot, but downplay its boxoffice? That's a rare thing.

I don’t think anyone would do that. It was one of the most impressive box office runs ever. That’s a separate thing from saying it “slayed” the competition though. There wasn’t any.

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I don’t think anyone would do that. It was one of the most impressive box office runs ever. That’s a separate thing from saying it “slayed” the competition though. There wasn’t any.

it scared them out of existence

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

it scared them out of existence

Be fair here: Titanics run was and is legendary but winter/spring 1998 was barren as f*ck. It was a perfect storm for Titanic.

3 hours ago, vc2002 said:

But who is downplaying it? I think there was one poster who said he didn't like the movie.  But other than that, who here is downplaying a movie that set record for highest grossing film of all time?