Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: Jumanji 10.2, TLJ 7.9 (Asgard)

Just now, Brainbug said:

JW came out of nowhere. Most people didnt even consider it making more than 700-800M worldwide (look at past predictions for it). The fact that it came close to JP adjusted DOM and matched the first in Worldwide numbers (roughly adjusted) is astonishing. TFA was expected to break all the records, JW was not.

I get what you mean but this is not "the most surprising BO runs" or such, it is 100% numbers and how impressive the performance were.

So even If let's say The Shape Of Water grossed $1b right now (:rofl:) it would still shouldn't make the list...

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

JW came out of nowhere. Most people didnt even consider it making more than 700-800M worldwide (look at past predictions for it). The fact that it came close to JP adjusted DOM and matched the first in Worldwide numbers (roughly adjusted) is astonishing. TFA was expected to break all the records, JW was not.

Agree. JW doing 1b+ OS is jaw dropping. 1b ww would have been surprising.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It destroyed a James Bond movie that opened the same weekend. That Bond film was the next one after a very popular GoldenEye. 

That Bond film had the same schedule as Titanic and finished at $125m while Titanic finished at $600m. This isn’t some totalitarian country. There was no law that forced people to keep seeing Titanic. They chose to keep seeing it while other movies like Bond ran out of gas much sooner. 

James Bond wasn't anything worth of note at that point. Goldeneye did a mere 106m, that's Ace Ventura and Jumanji territory.

No one said anything about people being forced to watch Titanic, so stop putting words into other people's mouths. Titanic had the biggest run of the modern era, but it did not face any particular sort of compeition that it needed to "slay". And that was everything this was about. Stop making it about completely different things that nobody is even denying.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

I think it’s perhaps a bit too over the top to say TFA’s run was in any way expected. For SW fans like me who followed the box office since TPM days, we had already experienced just how tough it would be for any sequel to take #1 domestic. It hadn’t ever happened before. I wanted to believe but I had been burned before thinking TPM could do it and being a box office novice. I didn’t realize at the time that 100 million tickets sold is INSANE and that Titanic passed that mark with complete ease. It wasn’t just “a big movie” or a once in a decade ticket seller. Uhh no. Titanic was a what-the-fuck kind of event where the ticket sales number boggles the mind. The first release of ANH didn’t pass that so it wasn’t ever reasonable to expect TPM to do it.

Its also wrong to say even that TFA was guaranteed to beat the OW record as many box office analysts and others insisted that by opening in December with holiday shopping and parties and family time you are trading a big opening for a sustained run and larger multiple. So many people on the SW forums assumed even a $150M OW would be amazing since the December record was only $85M or whatever. 

I was right not based on math but based on emotion and intuition and I’ll be the first to admit that. I just didn’t feel that JP is as big a deal as Star Wars and decided because I feel I have an overall good idea what’s popular, if JW could make that OW and that domestic total Avatar was fucked. And I was proven correct but even when I did apply math I never got more than $775M or so and imagined TFA crawling past Avatar in late February or something lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Want to give a shout out to Ice Age 3 doing 690 OS back in 2009. Did not release in China.

(Ice Age 4 did 716 with 68 from China 3 years later. 648 without China).

Ice Age 3 was an utter monster in Europe. For example, it grossed 82M in Germany and 70M in France! If it wasnt for Avatar later obliterating every record, it would be better remembered for sure.

• Like 2

I remember I was in India in the summer of 1998 and Titanic Was still playing to full shows at the local theatre near my dad's village.

There never will be a box office run like Titanic ever again. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

I can't believe I'm actually going to spend 20 minutes researching this to prove this point, but here goes.

The months of January to May in 1998 were not like they are in today's movie going climate.  I'm not sure when studios starting releasing movies in those months in hopes of making big money, but let's take a look first at what some of the biggest grossing movies were in the months of January 9th to April 3-5 during Titanic's run and then we'll look back the years 1992-1997 to see what the grosses were for films released in the same time.

Titanic's run:

Biggest new releases starting January 9th:

Firestorm:  3.8 million

Spiceworld:  10.5 million

Phantoms:  3.0 mill

Great expectations:  9.5 mill

Desperate Measures:  5.8

Deep Rising:  4.7

The Replacement Killers:  8.0

Blues Brothers:  6.1

The Wedding Singer:  18.8

Sphere :  14.4                       

(Of note, the last two films came out on Valentine's Day weekend.  This is the weekend Titanic increased by 22% and had it's 4th highest weekend of its run)

Senseless:  5.3

Palmetto:  3.8

Dark City:  5.5

Kripendorff's Tribe:  3.3

Caught Up:  2.3

Kissing a Fool: 2.2

U.S. Marshall's 16.8

Twilight/Big Lebowski/Hush:  17

The Man in the Iron Mask:  17.2

Primary Colors:  12

Wild Things:  9.6

Mr. Nice Guy:  5.2

Grease reissue: 12.7

Newton Boys/Ride/Mr. deedles:  8.5

Lost in Space:  20

Mercury Rising:  10.1

This was the weekend Titanic finally got knocked out of number 1.  The weekend of April 3-5.  Collectively these number one films grossed 227.5 million in the thirteen weeks between Jan 9th and April 3rd.

Lets take a look at the 5 years prior to that.

1992 (same time frame for new releases)  155 million

1993:  196.1

1994:  182.8

1995:  179.5

1996:  239.5

1997:  340.2  (this is the winter than the Star Wars re-releases came out, collectively grossing in their opening weekends 645 million)

So as you can see, this is a fallacy that the winter months were dead and that helped Titanic.  In the five years previous, the years of 1996 beat it by 12 million and then in 1997, with the help of SW, it got crushed by more than 100 million.  Titanic was a beast and it slayed all movies that came its way while facing basically more or the same amount of competition than the years prior, except 1996.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Speak for yourself. SOME OF US were wise and could see it coming. (hint - me)

:ph34r:

Titanic, has such a mass influence and it is a movie for everybody, regardless of race, or geographical region, it shows no language/cultural barrier all over the world, it is even so when the movie didn't even try to make it appealing to different group of people by casting or actor or through cultural reference.

My eldest aunt, who was 50+ at 1998, a zero english speaker and never fond or cared to watch a hollywood blockbuster, saw titanic on vcd and she cried when seeing Gloria Stuart(old rose) said, " I don't even have a picture of him"....It was so such a emotional punch that I presume those from older generation could relate the most(since taking a picture wasn't that easy in the past) even through subtitle. 

That is why titanic's number keep rolling in and in.....when a movie started to pull the tear from 40+ or 50+ years old "wise" man, nothing is debatable longer

• Like 2

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

Yeah, TFA’s run was not expected.  People expected it to be huge, but even during its lead up (when people were all aboard the hype train) there were people saying under 200m OW and under 700m DOM.

I agree. It was always expected to be huge. Of course, it then demolished even the most optimistic predictions . JW on the other hand, some people were sceptical that it even would be a success, which makes that films explosion a bit more impressive for me.

4 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Yeah, TFA’s run was not expected.  People expected it to be huge, but even during its lead up (when people were all aboard the hype train) there were people saying under 200m OW and under 700m DOM.

That is true to an extent, but I remember many others predicting a push for $1 billion. @MovieMan89 was one of them and I am sure he can name others I’m forgetting. 

I don’t remember anyone predicting a $650m gross for Jurassic World. Maybe $400m on the high end, but vast majority seemed to expect around $300m. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, George Parr said:

James Bond wasn't anything worth of note at that point. Goldeneye did a mere 106m, that's Ace Ventura and Jumanji territory.

No one said anything about people being forced to watch Titanic, so stop putting words into other people's mouths. Titanic had the biggest run of the modern era, but it did not face any particular sort of compeition that it needed to "slay". And that was everything this was about. Stop making it about completely different things that nobody is even denying.

...which is 218M in todays money, similar to Justice League. Not bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That is true to an extent, but I remember many others predicting a push for $1 billion. @MovieMan89 was one of them and I am sure he can name others I’m forgetting. 

I don’t remember anyone predicting a $650m gross for Jurassic World. Maybe $400m on the high end, but vast majority seemed to expect around $300m. 

there is a list of predictions here. @MovieMan89 and @TStechnij went for 1B shortly before release, and @CJohn predicted 1B from the start 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

"similar to Justice League" and "not bad" dont go that well together :qotd::sparta::insane:

But it's similar to Sherlock Holmes which went against Avatar and reached 200M.