a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

Just now, narniadis said:

I don't see how this is a bad number - Throughout the week more schools are in session and frankly that is basically a normal Wednesday drop which doesn't look out of place. But I have been wrong many times the last few weeks so what do I know.

One thing to keep in mind about the Friday increases this time around is that Thursday previews have messed up how Fridays work in comparison to films pre-2012. Not sure it will make a big difference but it does need to be considered.

Otherwise - I guess we need to see the rest of the top 10 in order to fully judge Jedi's drop.

The weekly drop is identical to Rogue One, a movie that had far more schools in session at the time. It should be outgrossing Rogue by 80-100% on this Tuesday-Thursday period, not 20-25%.

I have been in two places on opposite sides of the State of Texas during the holiday period. Both have school districts going back to school on January 9th.

• Like 3

The "mixed-word of mouth doesn't exist" argument doesn't hold up. Everyone has their anecdotal evidence but those who haven't heard anything negative are far behind those of us who have... I have yet to run into anyone in real life who enthusiastically recommends the film (myself-included) and that comes from those who liked it. I know far more people with actual issues and a few who outright hate it than I do those that love it.

And this story has been repeated many times since opening night.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The weekly drop is identical to Rogue One, a movie that had far more schools in session at the time. It should be outgrossing Rogue by 80-100% on this Tuesday-Thursday period, not 20-25%.

I have been in two places on opposite sides of the State of Texas during the holiday period. Both have school districts going back to school on January 9th.

My only thing is that you have pushed the 80-100% mark as your opinion without true fact. More schools out yes, but I doubt enough to make it 100% of R1 - but again, what do I know. My entire state went back to school Wednesday so it is definitely regional / local on that level.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It could tumble well below RO numbers after this week if it’s barely outpacing them with the holiday boost. If it misses 600m the spin by our dearly dedicated will be delicious. 

It's funny a lot of them shitted on DCEU fans and here they are doing the exact same thing

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It could tumble well below RO numbers after this week if it’s barely outpacing them with the holiday boost. If it misses 600m the spin by our dearly dedicated will be delicious. 

Ain't no spin under 600m - shouldn't be spin for under 650.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

My only thing is that you have pushed the 80-100% mark as your opinion without true fact. More schools out yes, but I doubt enough to make it 100% of R1 - but again, what do I know. My entire state went back to school Wednesday so it is definitely regional / local on that level.

Refer to Rth's figures, which he posted last week:

Next week Tues  K-12 + College 76%, sliding down to 53% by fri. college the biggest %(most are off) the following week after monday only reduced College 

15 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I am looking at actual data from what other movies have done during this exact same period.

Look at the 2006 weekly drops. Under this scenario it damn well should be 100% ahead of Rogue's dailies right now.

Now look at the 2017 movies on Tuesday to Tuesday other than Last Jedi. Look at the 2016 movies on Tuesday to Tuesday other than Rogue One. Rogue's Tuesday drop was 19% worse than the average drop for the 2016 movies. Last Jedi's drop is 32% worse than the 2017 movies. If you gave it a 19% worse drop than the other 2017 films, it would have been about 80% ahead of Rogue One on Tuesday instead of 25% ahead.

The data is out there for you to review. I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Hmm, that seems like an odd day to go back generally speaking though. I think most of the tue holds proved a holiday boost still in effect. We’ll see what all the wed ones look like.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Hmm, that seems like an odd day to go back generally speaking though. I think most of the tue holds proved a holiday boost still in effect. We’ll see what all the wed ones look like.

I think schools tend to pick either Wednesday or Monday as a starting day. Obviously Monday was off the table due to New Year's.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Tuesday to Tuesday for the 2016 releases (excluding Rogue) = 53% drop

Tuesday to Tuesday for the 2017 releases (excluding TLJ) = 40% drop

There is OBVIOUSLY more boost this week than last year. Yet the weekly drops for TLJ are virtually identical to what Rogue was doing: 72% from Tuesday to Tuesday and 76% from Wednesday to Wednesday.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Quoted, IW should be around AoU adjusted

I'd say more around 500m. IW will open huge, but should be massively frontloaded regardless, especially since it's a big event with a LOT of marvel characters. 

• Like 1