Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

5 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

some nice comeback after losing too much of screens in x-mas, it's been up for 3 consecutive week, assuming no increase in theater count afterward, ladybird can leverage with at least 1m gross on weekend by the time when oscar nomination list revealed.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Lionsgate fucked up the release of The Perks of Being a Wallflower so badly it's still annoying to this day. It's a film that if released and distributed correctly, could have easily hit $100m.

considering it did 17.7m, 100m seems a bit out of nowhere. we are not even sure of Post doing 100m after opening to better limited release PTA.

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

The only one doing that is you.

When I first read about it, I thought it was an interesting potential wrench for the BO worthy of discussion, and you seemed like a level-headed poster.

Now, you just incessantly bring MoviePass up everywhere for no good reason when there is no data to corroborate anything you're saying. All your *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* this is what's happening shtick has gotten old quick.

You're not smarter than anyone else and you're definitely not ahead of the curve, so until we have more data, you are basically coming off like some weird corporate shill. Cool it.

Yes, it has the potential to disrupt the current system, but it's not bloody making people see TGS and Jumanji on repeat every week. A lot of people have already spoken about the math of it, which you conveniently ignore, so I think this ends here.

Okay, that amuses me:)...

But if you ask why I post it?  B/c so many folks aren't in the US, and even many who are, don't know anything about it...and if you are gonna discuss DOM BO, and you don't know about this program (and about Cinemark's $8.99/1 reservable movie a month sub, but that has been so little effect because of MoviePass's current rapid dominance), you are missing a huge aspect of 2018 US BO effect.  Subscriptions have never been a "real" part of the US BO...now, by the end of 2018, they are likely to be the majority part...that is a monumental tidal wave change - as others have mentioned, it's not just MoviePass, which is here and dominating, that is getting in the game - Cinemark already dipped its toe (and will probably have to change), AMC swears it's coming, who knows with Regal, etc...

And knowing who those subscribers are (like MP is 75% millenial at the 1M point - unknown the breakdown at 1.5M) and what they are gonna wanna see is going to effect every box office weekend...some movies for the good...and some for the bad...  

I mean, the last 3 weekends, we've had repeated folks saying "I don't know how and why Jumanji/TGS are still going so high!  I don't know how Insidious popped THAT much this weekend - it's a mediocre 4th movie!  I don't know why Paddington missed so badly!"  And these folks seem to think it's unexplainable...

So, maybe it isn't...and that's why I'm posting...

Someone said before the weekend they'd start to believe more if Insidious popped some great legs (for its franchise), and it's now gonna beat 2 of the previous movies within a week, with 1 left to go, with only a 58% 2nd 3-day weekend drop (even with the snow)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guys after seeing "Jumanji 2" I can really understand it performance now fully.  The movie worked on every level as a sequel.  The only thing missing was Robin Williams.   The chemistry with the Leads worked great.  Jack Black was hilarious, so was Kevin and Rock.  It's just a fun movie and sequel.  I understand it's legs, it definitely has replay value.   

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

But as animated films go that really isn't that much is it?

No but the sequel is basically performing at like half of the originals level despite getting better reviews and doing much better at the BO in the U.K.. So think there was anticipation that it’d at least match its predecessors performance in the States. 

Dont think it it really matters tho. It’s done well enough in Europe that they’ve turned a profit and were probably getting Paddington 3. 

• Like 1