Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Next milestones for TGM

$600.8m to beat Titanic DOM orginal run

$659.4m to beat Titanic DOM with all its rereleases to become top Paramount film

1st is happening for sure, 2nd is the dream.

Edited by Mojoguy

20 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

How about Elvis? From the trailer it didn't seem like a IMAX treatment is needed but It is getting tons of the showtimes 

Elvis gets the peak Show every day of the weekend. Saturday and Sunday has 4 movies showing in IMAX each day in a lot of places

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Has the Gaga song actually been a success on its own terms? Usually when a movie song blows up (eg Frozen) even I end up hearing it one way or another, but not this one.

I’ve heard it in the mall. Views on YouTube are surprisingly low though

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Has the Gaga song actually been a success on its own terms? Usually when a movie song blows up (eg Frozen) even I end up hearing it one way or another, but not this one.

To say the film has been massive, the song seems to have struggled to make any sort of impact. To be honest though, it’s not exactly a particularly great song. I can barely remember it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Eh it's been hanging around #50 on the Billboard chart which is pretty good by movie tie-in song standards these days. Short of something from an animated film or Shallow, this is rather tough to do. Probably one of the better charting songs excluding those since the Fifty Shades days? It seems to be doing it solely on the strength of radio airplay, not streams. So people aren't really seeking it out but it's getting a good push through adult contemporary stations.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/tom-cruise-cineeurope-surprise-appearance-paramount-top-gun-maverick-1235049837/

For the second time in eight months, Tom Cruise thrilled attendees at the CineEurope exhibition conference, appearing live on stage here in Barcelona this morning to cap off Paramount’s slate presentation. The room again positively thundered with applause as everyone leapt to their feet for an extended standing ovation in honor of the Top Gun: Maverick star.

Cruise must be very busy attending multiple events across the globe. It is only fitting to see a guy who so supportive of the moviegoing business to have the first billion dollar movie of the year. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

To say the film has been massive, the song seems to have struggled to make any sort of impact. To be honest though, it’s not exactly a particularly great song. I can barely remember it.

Yeah I was expecting much better from her after Shallow. Sounds too much like an 80s ballad without the soul to go with it.  

18 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Next milestones for TGM

$600.8m to beat Titanic DOM orginal run

$659.4m to beat Titanic DOM with all its rereleases to become top Paramount film

1st is happening for sure, 2nd is the dream.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/titanic-rerelease-date-remastered-version-james-cameron-1235050212/

Titanic will be over $660 million next March.

The power of the Cruise. Cameron shitting his pants that TGM will become Paramount's all time domestic #1 film. Titanic already had a 3D re-release. I guess we're going to see a re-release every 5 years. 2027 30th anniversary, then maybe by 2030 Cameron opens up underwater cinemas.

Then again TGM should have a re-release avery Memorial, 4th of July and Veteran's Day and we have a race to 800m with Titanic lol

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The power of the Cruise. Cameron shitting his pants that TGM will become Paramount's all time domestic #1 film. Titanic already had a 3D re-release. I guess we're going to see a re-release every 5 years. 2027 30th anniversary, then maybe by 2030 Cameron opens up underwater cinemas.

Then again TGM should have a re-release avery Memorial, 4th of July and Veteran's Day and we have a race to 800m with Titanic lol

Maverick first movie to gross 1bn domestically

For fun's sake, I calculated what Maverick would end up grossing if it were to follow the 4 week to final gross legs of some movies:

TFA : 537m

NWH : 560m

TA : 565m

Wonder Woman : 603m

Frozen 2 : 607m

Aladdin (2019) : 626m

And for the hell of it, Avatar legs gives 811m and Titanic legs gives 1419m.

Anyway, since 600m seems locked at this point it's fair to say that at the end of TGM's run, no other recent-ish big release (sans the outliers) will have comparable late legs. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious of course. (feel free to correct me)