Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Anecdotal. Was talking to my friends about the original Top Gun. We all agreed that it's probably one of our least favorite Tom Cruise movies but that the new one looks great and that it's probably the most excited we're been about a Tom Cruise movie in along time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

This movie is going to be huge.  It's one of the easiest calls of the year.  

I agree for the most part. I've always found it odd people being iffy on this. It's such a slam dunk.

The only thing that has me worried is the multiple starts and stops in terms of the marketing. Just worries me that it may have a The King's Man "Didn't this already come out?" syndrome. 

The difference I suppose is that this will actually probably be good and is something I think people are interested in

Edited by Pinacolada

15 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

I just find it strange how people are ignoring the directors previous work. I dont think this will get good reviews

Only the Brave was great and this has that movie’s writer. The movie will probably be cheesy, but apparently the first Top Gun is cheesy too

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Tarintino said:

I just find it strange how people are ignoring the directors previous work. I dont think this will get good reviews

Not everybody operates on "auteur theory" and that's a good thing.  It's not always the director's fault when things get mangled. 

3 hours ago, TylerG said:

I listened to a podcast a while back. Long story short, he was friends with Harry and William's mom and she brought them to visit Tom on the set of MI1 when they were kids. He's known them for a long time now.

11 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Don't forget that McQuarrie fixed the script and came in to help direct and stage multiple scenes.  

• Like 1

Only the Brave also showed an incredible improvement in Joseph Kosinski's dramatic directing, which is where he was lacking. That film genuinely got me. Tron Legacy and Oblivion were both overly adept in the visual and sound departments.

As long as the script is solid enough for Maverick we're in good hands. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 2:56 AM, Tarintino said:

I don't think reviews will matter much for this film.

58 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Lmao the people who really want to get us hyped, like some kind of event film, about a sequel to a mediocre '80s movie (and I'm being easy here, because the original is actually TERRIBLE).

Good luck.

It's not terrible, but it's not a classic either.