MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

45 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

AHEM

original.gif

I honestly keep forgetting he's in that movie (albeit barely). :lol: It never ceases to be amusing seeing actors who suddenly skyrocket to fame overnight randomly show up in nothing roles that were obviously shot before they became big deals.

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Jumanji is a beast. What went right? This really connected with the audience

I can think of a lot of reasons

- Rock and Kevin Hart on screen together again

- Star Wars alternative

- A simple story

- Comedic and family friendly

- Good reviews and word of mouth

- The main characters’ chemistry

- The action

- No major competition in January

- Low expectations

- Nostalgia

- Marketing after release

• Like 3

Tickets sold today at my theater:

Hostiles: 264 (every show has been marked as near sellouts by AMC save for the late show that's currently empty)

Maze Runner: 249

The Post: 160

Jumanji: 136 (60 2D/76 3D)

12 Strong: 134

Showman: 103

My Girl: 89

Commuter: 87
Shape of Water: 80 (only three shows)

Den of Thieves: 78

Paddington: 35

Star Wars: 33 (18 2D/15 3D)

Billboards: 18 (one single showing; the late show is empty right now)

Maze Runner is proving to be SUPER walkup based. It's been selling like crazy tonight.

It's really pathetic that Star Wars can't even beat Paddington on a school day :hahaha: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The digital release is in 2-3 weeks, so I imagine it might start dropping a bit more then. I have no clue WTF Fox is thinking releasing it on Blu-Ray 75 days after theatrical.

The blu-ray release date isn't official yet (Go to VideoEta.com), but those rumors might be true. However, Fox mind change their minds and delay it one month because of its surprising success.

Edited by BenedictL11

The digital release is in 2-3 weeks, so I imagine it might start dropping a bit more then. I have no clue WTF Fox is thinking releasing it on Blu-Ray 75 days after theatrical.

Movie should ALWAYS have the 16 weeks in theaters before being released on dvd and bluray. We never know if a movie becomes a leggy hit later on. I will always hate early release home video dates.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tickets sold today at my theater:

Hostiles: 264 (every show has been marked as near sellouts by AMC save for the late show that's currently empty)

Maze Runner: 249

The Post: 160

Jumanji: 136 (60 2D/76 3D)

12 Strong: 134

Showman: 103

My Girl: 89

Commuter: 87
Shape of Water: 80 (only three shows)

Den of Thieves: 78

Paddington: 35

Star Wars: 33 (18 2D/15 3D)

Billboards: 18 (one single showing; the late show is empty right now)

Maze Runner is proving to be SUPER walkup based. It's been selling like crazy tonight.

It's really pathetic that Star Wars can't even beat Paddington on a school day :hahaha: 

TLJ has beat it everyday this week with ease. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Movie should ALWAYS have the 16 weeks in theaters before being released on dvd and bluray. We never know if a movie becomes a leggy hit later on. I will always hate early release home video dates.

Just like when Argo and Frozen were released way too early than it needed to be; yet, Lucy was released almost 6 months after its theatrical release date. 

Just like when Argo and Frozen were released way too early than it needed to be; yet, Lucy was released almost 6 months after its theatrical release date.

16 weeks seems to be the average these days for theatrical window. Both super leggy Frozen and TFA took that long to release on dvd.

But I understand why Disney didn't delay the Frozen dvd release, because it was going to make alot of money on home video and they didn't want to wait too long and it paid off with record sales.

Edited by Mojoguy

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is surprising to me given its run time and the fact that most people have forgotten about it given the hiatus between it and the second installment.

Wouldn't surprise me if Chris Mckenna and Erik Sommers become Sony's go to guys for scripts after writing both Spider-Man: Homecoming (they were the final writers I believe on that film) and Jumanji. They're already back for the next Spidey film. Also writers on Ant-Man and the Wasp too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The body swap angle and getting the right actors to do it with is what sold Jumanji. 

Yep. One of very few remakes/reboots of older movies that puts a proper twist on it and makes it fresh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Why 16 weeks? Generally speaking, 97% of gross is made in the first 6 weeks. More options for the consumer would be a good thing not a bad thing.