8 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Past winners

Dunkirk

Arrival

Mad Max

Interstellar

Gravity

TDKR

I reckon to fit the trend it’s something like: Infinity War, Annihilation, Black Panther, Roma or First Man

Id place a bet on it being First Man (maybe Roma but I think that’s foreign language which will turn off half of the list voters at least).  These lists gravitate toward high-concept fanboy films winning it out (which is Nolan’s specialty)

I don't think a CBM is winning, and I don't think Annihilation even makes the top 25. Maybe Halloween is amazing?

Just now, New Year New Panda said:

I think TI2 has a better chance to win the BOFFY than top 25 list, compare the winners

Top 25

2017 - Dunkirk

2016 - Arrival

2015 - Mad Max

2014 - Interstellar

2013 - Gravity

2012 - TDKR

BOFFYs

2017 - ??

2016 - La La Land

2015 - Inside Out

2014 - The Grand Budapest Hotel

2013 - Gravity

2012 - The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson, Cuaron, Wes Anderson, Pete Docter, and Damien Chazelle.  2018 BOFFY winner will be Isle of Dogs, Roma, or First Man

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think a CBM is winning, and I don't think Annihilation even makes the top 25. Maybe Halloween is amazing?

Eh Horror isn’t the same as high-concept/Sci-Fi

I think First Man looks like the most obvious winner, given Chazelle got second last year.  I think Roma’s the other strongest possibility.  Then I’d say Black panther.

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

I think TI2 has a better chance to win the BOFFY than top 25 list, compare the winners

Top 25

2017 - Dunkirk

2016 - Arrival

2015 - Mad Max

2014 - Interstellar

2013 - Gravity

2012 - TDKR

BOFFYs

2017 - ??

2016 - La La Land

2015 - Inside Out

2014 - The Grand Budapest Hotel

2013 - Gravity

2012 - The Master

bullshit_everywhere-e1345505471862.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Paul Thomas Anderson, Cuaron, Wes Anderson, Pete Docter, and Damien Chazelle.  2018 BOFFY winner will be Isle of Dogs, Roma, or First Man

BOFFYS seem to variate each year (I think a mix of a preferential system and mostly the ‘core’ members voting, as we get around 40 ballots instead of 90 cause the winners to be more of passion picks versus consensus picks)

3 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

BOFFYS seem to variate each year (I think a mix of a preferential system and mostly the ‘core’ members voting, as we get around 40 ballots instead of 90 cause the winners to be more of passion picks versus consensus picks)

BOFFYS system is also better, and the fact that it's a one vote per category like award shows, system probably makes a difference too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

BOFFYS system is also better, and the fact that it's a one vote per category like award shows, system probably makes a difference too.

I mean, I appreciate both systems, as they show different things.  An awards type of show tends to award a film a large base can get passionately behind, even if it’s not a consensus pick.  A list tends to show what everyone can agree on.

The list format can also vary depending on how you weight it.  If you give lots of weight to the top, or if you spread it some more.

8 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

I mean, I appreciate both systems, as they show different things.  An awards type of show tends to award a film a large base can get passionately behind, even if it’s not a consensus pick.  A list tends to show what everyone can agree on.

The list format can also vary depending on how you weight it.  If you give lots of weight to the top, or if you spread it some more.

In BOT lists's case, it's usually that they tend to give higher weighted averages to the top five. Dunkirk appearing as #1 on a lot of lists was crucial to it topping the list, which is probably part of the reason why I usually find the BOFFYS winner to be more interesting, especially with a lower amount of people voting for it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, rukaio101 said:

I look forward to Dunkirk inevitably winning this. And by 'look forward' I of course mean I hate you all.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:01 PM, rukaio101 said:

You underestimate this forum's boner for mediocre Nolan movies. If Interstellar and TDKR can win their respective years (TDKR twice!) then I have no doubt Dunkirk will do the same.

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And the winner is...

Reveal hidden contents

Well, I sure hope somebody picks up that phone...

BECAUSE I FUCKING CALLED IT!!!

(Also, you all suck.)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

In BOT lists's case, it's usually that they tend to give higher weighted averages to the top five. Dunkirk appearing as #1 on a lot of lists was crucial to it topping the list, which is probably part of the reason why I usually find the BOFFYS winner to be more interesting, especially with a lower amount of people voting for it. 

It also allows for a better balance and asks people to watch more than just the year's biggest hits or most fanboy-friendly titles.