Taylor

Weekend Thread: 50SF - 38.8m, PR - 25m, 15:17 - 12.6m

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

sorry, do you mean that both sequels combined would cost 60-100m? in that case it's still a low prod budget per movie.

I am talking about the compensation package for both lead alone on each movies. Pure cash grab like those would require a lot of money to convince people to make them I would imagine.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

A franchise has to start somewhere though. Pirates 1 for example wasn't a franchise film and still did 50m+ in Japan. Considering how its broken out pretty much everywhere, probably shouldn't rule it completely out. 

Pirates still had the Disney brand to propel it, which is by far stronger in Japan than any other OS market. It's also worth noting that Disney is the dominant foreign distributor in Japan and can command premium screens, showtimes, etc to its favor versus rival distributors. A good predictor to whether a film will break out in Japan is to look at other major Asian markets like China and South Korea (with some exceptions, like F&F being much stronger in China and Marvel being much stronger in both). Jumanji has performed okay in China but not great in South Korea, which suggests a similar level of reception in Japan. It's not impossible for Jumanji to break out in Japan, but the odds are very stacked against it. Japan is a predictable market for the most part, and you can usually identify which films will be the break-outs of the year well in advance. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am talking about the compensation package for both lead alone on each movies. Pure cash grab like those would require a lot of money to convince people to make them I would imagine.

yeah that would be 15-25 to each actor per movie. considering how small the current budget is I didn't the actors could negotiate that much but maybe so. i haven't watched the movies so don't know how dispensable the leads are.

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

yeah that would be 15-25 to each actor per movie. considering how small the current budget is I didn't the actors could negotiate that much but maybe so. i haven't watched the movies so don't know how dispensable the leads are.

Lower the budget the more room for compensation and sooner the bonus kick in if you go profit participation bonus. I doubt a recast make much sense, it is all about 2 character and not much else from what I understand.

It is very rare for someone to make only 15 or 25 for a movie, once you get into that type of contract you need to give points.

• Thanks 1

Sony’s other family pic Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle looks like $2.3M today for a three-day of $10M in Weekend 8, down 8%, with a running total of $365.8M. This momentum smells like it’s set to topple Sony’s Spider-Man 2 ($373.5M) to become the studio’s second highest-grossing title stateside after Sam Raimi’s original Spider-Man ($403.7M).

the-greatest-showman.jpg?w=301&h=202&cro
20th Century Fox

And 20th Century Fox’s underdog musical The Greatest Showman looks like $1.6M today for a three-day of $6.2M, -19%,for a running total in Weekend 8 of $146.3M. The pic will soon overtake Les Miserables ($148.8M), and is less than $5M from overtaking Benj Pasek and Justin Paul’s previous Oscar-winning song-scripted musical La La Land ($151.1M).

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Shape and I Tonya both bombing at my theatre. Peter Rabbit doing fucking insane #'s. Shades not very well either, but the other 2 didn't really either (first one 55M opening here second one 31M)

A bit strange that you got Tonya this weekend when the PTA was pretty poor last week.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Cinemascores:

Peter: A-

Fifty Shades: B+

15:17: B-

15:17 is going to collapse HARD next week.

A B- for The 15:17 to Paris is fucking horrible. Movies like that should be easy A CS grades. Guess the decision to cast the real guys (who are non-actors) really backfired.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A B- for The 15:17 to Paris is fucking horrible. Movies like that should be easy A CS grades. Guess the decision to cast the real guys (who are non-actors) really backfired.

I'm thinking the best case scenario for next week is a drop just under 50% because of the 4 day. A drop in the mid to high 50s isn't unlikely either IMO

http://deadline.com/2018/02/fifty-shades-freed-peter-rabbit-1517-to-paris-weekend-box-office-1202283099/

E.L. James’ Fifty Shades Freed continues to keep it up at the B.O. with a $40 million-plus opening weekend, still only 14% off from the opening of Fifty Shades Darker last year ($46.6M), which is a solid ease for a threequel. Threequels are notorious for being the lowest out of a franchise’s bunch at the box office with the exception of most superhero movies.

Even more hope for Freed‘s longevity? The James title ties up its second B+ CinemaScore tonight after Fifty Shades Darker a year ago; proof that the fans are attending versus when Fifty Shades of Grey was slapped with a C+. Uni insiders blamed non-fans then for sinking that pic’s grade

And in second we have Sony Animation’s Peter Rabbit with $21.8M, which gets an A- CinemaScore tonight — which is the same grade that Illumination/Universal’s Hop earned. That was a similar rabbit project (sans the Beatrix Potter source material) built around a British comedian. That Easter bunny film opened to $37.5M seven years ago and bounced to $108M domestic, $183.9M worldwide. Given the lack of family fare for quite some time, it will be interesting to see if Peter Rabbit posts a higher multiple.

Even though this weekend in terms of ticket sales will likely pale when compared to a year ago’s $188.6M which was built on Lego Batman ($53M), Fifty Shades Darker, and John Wick:Chapter 2 ($30.4M), next weekend is bound to thrust 2018 ahead of 2017 with Black Panther‘s projected $130M-$160M. 

It is very heard to emulate the American Sniper effect at the box office, even if its Clint Eastwood making another go-round with an American heroes tale, in this case The 15:17 to Paris which is now looking at $12.9M in 3rd. Many have tried: 12 Strong, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, but nothing pops. And if you even dote on PTSD, read Thank You For Your Service or Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, that’s just a downer at the B.O.

While 15:17 is obvious play to the flyover states, that crowd isn’t impressed with a B- CinemaScore next to the As they’ve bestowed on 12 Strong and 13 Hours, so that’s not good for business. Warners marketed the film as a thriller (which is a means to get folks in the door), but once you’re in, it’s a slow origins drama about the real guys who play their older selves in the movie and that’s a challenge. Rival executives point out the title being a problem as a selling point (what does it exactly mean?) in addition to the fact that arguably not many are in the know about the the 2015 Thalys train attack and the three American heroes who foiled it. On the upside, Eastwood is always dependable about keeping his titles at a thrifty cost, and this one carries a reported production cost of $30M. But Sully, this is not from both a popular or commercial standpoint. Oscar bloggers and pundits were always wondering if this title would get showcased in the heat of this year’s Oscar season, however, Warner Bros. was the wiser.

And as for the holiday holdover greats:

Sony’s other family pic Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle looks like $2.2M today for a three-day of $9.6M in Weekend 8, down 12%, with a running total of $365.4M. This momentum smells like it’s set to topple Sony’s Spider-Man 2 ($373.5M) to become the studio’s second highest-grossing title stateside after Sam Raimi’s original Spider-Man ($403.7M).

And 20th Century Fox’s underdog musical The Greatest Showman looks like $1.6M today for a three-day of $6.1M, -19%,for a running total in Weekend 8 of $146.2M. The pic will soon overtake Les Miserables ($148.8M), and is less than $5M from overtaking Benj Pasek and Justin Paul’s previous Oscar-winning song-scripted musical La La Land ($151.1M).

Fox Searchlight’s 13 Oscar nominee leader The Shape of Water is nearing $50M.

The chart's expected to come later

• Like 2