That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 hour ago, Chad Stevens said:

hmmmmm! tough one.

The Rock, coming off the POWER of the Jumanji

See the source image

Jumanji was not all The Rock, and Baywatch just performed poorly. I believe that the dynamic between him and Kevin Hart played a role in its appeal to audiences. Central Intelligence was received very well, and I remember seeing them on the interview circuit as a pair. We will see, but Rampage just appears to be ridiculous. The one time I saw the trailer in theaters people were speaking about how ridiculous it appears to be. I really do not see that or the other one with him this year performing well at the domestic box office. 

19 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Drilling down on Black Panther‘s performance: Six out of the top 10 locations were in New York, two in Los Angeles (Arclight Hollywood and Burbank), Atlantic Station in Atlanta and DC’s Tysons. Black Panther had 612 runs gross north of $100,000 for the weekend; of those, 119 venues did over $200K, 20 did $300K+, and five minted $400K. AMC Empire NY cleared $500K, while AMC Atlantic Station’s shot past $600K over the three days. One studio analyst this morning projects a $500M final domestic B.O. for Black Panther.

Source: http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

Pfff, lies! It will gross over 600million.

But wow at those numbers.

LOL out of all that business in Atlanta and the rest of the south, still NY and LA are right there.  I'm not surprised at Arclight Hollywood they had a tremendous amount of shows. I am shocked that Burbank did this well.   NY was pretty busy with a lot of sell outs so I'm not surprised. I would have thought Oakland would be up there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Can't imagine BP missing 500m. Lowest I see is around Rogue One/TDK

It could potentially play frontloaded and land right in the low 500m range, but I also don’t see under 500m.  WoM is great, it’s just a question of whether the audience interested in it has already rushed out to see it or not.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Who doesn't want to see a movie in which Dwayne Johnson plays a primatologist who yells "GEOOOORRRRGGGEEE!!" to his pet gorilla now blown up to the size of King Kong destroying things?

I expect the movie to be panned and ridiculed for how ridiculous it appears, but we are just going to have to see. 

1 minute ago, The Mad Panda said:

It could potentially play frontloaded and land right in the low 500m range, but I also don’t see under 500m.  WoM is great, it’s just a question of whether the audience interested in it has already rushed out to see it or not.

It's possible that its frontloaded but the way I see it, I feel like there's a lot of audience who was unable to see it this past weekend because of constant sellouts so it's gonna keep going for the next week. By then, I think the WOM and buzz will have done its work.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Drilling down on Black Panther‘s performance: Six out of the top 10 locations were in New York, two in Los Angeles (Arclight Hollywood and Burbank), Atlantic Station in Atlanta and DC’s Tysons. Black Panther had 612 runs gross north of $100,000 for the weekend; of those, 119 venues did over $200K, 20 did $300K+, and five minted $400K. AMC Empire NY cleared $500K, while AMC Atlantic Station’s shot past $600K over the three days.

New York and LA are so big because of raw population. On a per capita basis, the south and urban cities absolutely killed this.

Atlanta is the clear #1 per capita metro. 

Edited by Jandrew
  • Astonished 1

29 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Drilling down on Black Panther‘s performance: Six out of the top 10 locations were in New York, two in Los Angeles (Arclight Hollywood and Burbank), Atlantic Station in Atlanta and DC’s Tysons. Black Panther had 612 runs gross north of $100,000 for the weekend; of those, 119 venues did over $200K, 20 did $300K+, and five minted $400K. AMC Empire NY cleared $500K, while AMC Atlantic Station’s shot past $600K over the three days. One studio analyst this morning projects a $500M final domestic B.O. for Black Panther.

Source: http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

Pfff, lies! It will gross over 600million.

But wow at those numbers.

That s some deep analysis, analyst.

What would we do without you.

Yeah, this thing is going for the 600M but it won't shock me if it ends with 580-590M. Avengers seems hard at this point but who the fuck knows. From these super blockbusters (>200M OW) only one had bad legs so far (not even Christmas got The Last Jedi to a 3.0x :hahaha: ), all the others had 3+ multipliers. Black Panther seems to be more in line with Jurassic World and Avengers reception wise than The Last Jedi.

• Like 5

WOM seems great and demo splits indicated by deadline are somewhat favorable (M/F 50/50 but over/under 25 was 34/66).  That in conjunction with the backloaded OW would suggest strong legs.  For instance, it should be able to outperform Deadpool's legs and even had an additional inflation factor on OW with Valentine's Day thrown into the mix.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

LOL out of all that business in Atlanta and the rest of the south, still NY and LA are right there.  I'm not surprised at Arclight Hollywood they had a tremendous amount of shows. I am shocked that Burbank did this well.   NY was pretty busy with a lot of sell outs so I'm not surprised. I would have thought Oakland would be up there.

Not surprised either. 8.5 million people live in NYC, and 10 million live in LA County.

Nowhere else in the US comes anywhere close to that.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yeah, this thing is going for the 600M but it won't shock me if it ends with 580-590M. Avengers seems hard at this point but who the fuck knows. From these super blockbusters (>200M OW) only one had bad legs so far (not even Christmas got The Last Jedi to a 3.0x :hahaha: ), all the others had 3+ multipliers. Black Panther seems to be more in line with Jurassic World and Avengers reception wise than The Last Jedi.

I think it'll land somewhere between a 2.85x-2.9x. Not sold on 600M yet; that depends how well it holds past week 4 or 5.

*busy most of Sunday*

*checks in this morning*

giphy.gif

Did... did I read that ri...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Not gonna be around much today so that'll have to suffice for my reaction. :lol:

'grats everyone for such a historic moment for such a deserving movie. :)

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Not surprised either. 8.5 million people live in NYC, and 10 million live in LA County.

Nowhere else in the US comes anywhere close to that.

I get all that. I'm just surprised at the Burbank theather because it looked dead.  They must have combined all of them.