That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

6 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Because the massive Latino population is a mix of different cultures too. It probably did do huge numbers with Mexicans.

True, but Coco also had stellar WOM in most of Latin America outside Brazil. In Spanish-speaking countries, it was very well received despite the holiday being a Mexican event.

Coco also had a rare A+ Cinemascore, which makes it even more strange it didn't break out domestically.

I would say about 5,000 of this weeks theater counts will be removed to make way for new product next week.  500 will probably go towards Fifty Shades.  Play around with those numbers and there might be good holds for Shape of Water, the Post, and Three Billboards. 

Edited by Matrix4You

I think competition for screen space coupled with Jumanji ending up a family-phenomena shaved a few more than expected from Coco's December run. Looked good for 220-230 but will end up close to 210.

It opened 10 less than Moana over the 5-day ow. With same legs as Moana (3x the 5-day) it was looking at 219 dom. It beat Moana's legs for a few days before starting to trail and then falling back significantly in the late run.

Globally it's looking at minimum 780 once it releases in Japan. Is on 730+ and is looking at 750+ without Japan.

• Like 6

Nobody needs to feel bad for Coco - it's going to end up being in the top 5 grossing Pixar films worldwide.

And while Coco could have done better domestically, from what I recall, general expectations before Coco opened did not have it hitting $200M domestic. Indeed, it seemed many were worried it wouldn't have much appeal at all.

Peace,
Mike

• Like 14

It is sad that Coco didn't reach Moana numbers DOM, but ultimately, it did better than it OS/WW, and it made 700M WW, so it is on the higher range of Pixar flicks in that regard.

Incredibles 2 is looking like it'll be the 2nd highest grossing Pixar film ever, 3rd on worst case scenario. I still don't see it outgrossing Dory, but w/the massive hype, I now believe in it having a very decent shot in breaking the animated OW record.

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

after Coco blew up in Mexico and the hot start it had in America, I am a little disappointed it did not cruise past Moana.  

I was expecting a much leggier run after it opened given the amazing reception from both critics and audiences (one of only 6 Pixar films with A+ CinemaScore). 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It is sad that Coco didn't reach Moana numbers DOM, but ultimately, it did better than it OS/WW, and it made 700M WW, so it is on the higher range of Pixar flicks in that regard.

Incredibles 2 is looking like it'll be the 2nd highest grossing Pixar film ever, 3rd on worst case scenario. I still don't see it outgrossing Dory, but w/the massive hype, I now believe in it having a very decent shot in breaking the animated OW record.

I think TI2 will beat Dory worldwide 

Imagine if it beat Avengers. Lol. 

To be fair, anything is possible. It’s the water cooler movie of the year. Everyone is talking about it in my office. People that don’t know anything about movies I’m overhearing saying they’ve heard it’s meant to be good. A film this talked about and this widely seen - dynamite. 

• Like 1