That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It is a bit awkward to have the team movie you've built up for 10 years perform lower at the domestic box office than a solo movie released only a few months earlier. But it's a very nice problem for Disney to have. :lol:

True... But, one could say that given there's really never been a superhero flick in the golden age of box office for superhero flicks like Black Panther that the superhero genre at large in cinemas has been building to Black Panther for a quarter century.

I mean, just from the think pieces, etc., it's obvious that BP is more novel and more anticipated than any team up. MCU folk seem to understand that just fine. Hell, it's not like anything in the MCU has actually matched Spider-man '02 in admissions aside from, maybe, Avengers.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Black Panther, although it was great, still has the usual Marvel villain problem, IMO.

I don’t see Thanos changing that trend either, tbh. 

Zemo,Ego,Vulture, Killmonger 4 very good villain only in phase 3

hela,Claw, good villain, phase 3.

loki(Thor and The Avengers)good villain, phase 1.

In the last 10 years we have ONLY one great Villain: Joker/Ledger. 

Fox? 0 good villain

DCU? Only Zod

imho

Edited by fabiopazzo2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

The usual marvel villain problem is usually someone with limited screentime, no clear motivations and no character development so i disagree with that I do wish he had more screentime but we knew his motivation and he definitely had development

In phase 3 only Kaelicius sucks

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

I hope not. He’s not as sexy as Evans. 😍😍

LIES.  (Know what's even sexier? Him and Evans TOGETHER :wub:)

I am SO READY for a Sam Wilson Captain America.  I'm just so excited that there's NO EXCUSE NOW to give Bucky that shield, which was the BIG fear of mine since CACW end.

On to BP:

Couple things since I'm not wading through 200 pages (for forgive me if this has already been said.  And if it has, I agree!):

- I love how 500M DOM is now the floor, which is amazing; since everyone thought those that believed that a month ago were nuts.  We're looking more at like 650M +/- 20M.  

- 100M second weekend is looking so good.  It's gonna feel soo good.  Even if it has BVS's record drop of 69%, it's still gonna make 75M.  And there's NOTHING to support a 69% drop.  My friends in Nashville couldn't get in, and are going next weekend.  I have friends already have tickets for next week in PA, and Los Angeles.  Hell, I have like three BP dates already booked this week.

- It's taking #1 DOM this year :wub: (Unless IW is the monster of all monsters.  And I'm not ready to have that discussion until I see IW pre-sale numbers.  There are too many X factors on both sides that support either outcome.)

- I've been saying for weeks: MCU IS GOING #1 AND #2 DOM.  And this is truly bonkers. There's a chance that it could make 1.5B DOM in 2018 between all three of Black Panther (625M), Infinity War (575M), and Ant-Man & The Wasp (300M).  There's also a better than good chance that Disney could take 4 of the 5, hell even 5 of the 5, Top DOM of 2018 with properties like The Incredibles 2, Mary Poppins, and yes, even Solo, around the corner.  That's just stupid ridiculous.  Insane.

- I'm REALLY excited to see if this gives A Wrinkle In Time a push.  I feel that everyone has been underpredicting that movie.  Ava Duvernay has been so supportive of Ryan Coogler and Black Panther over the past three months, and they have both spoken openly about editing their films "next door to each other" and the historic significance of both.  Disney's been pushing Ava, the film's black female lead, and the diverse cast and crew HARD.  I can see the same non-MCU geek audience running back out to the theater to see A Wrinkle in Time.  

- And, finally, because we can't actually compare CBMs movies, I'm just gonna leave this, as a summarization of everything I feel about WB/DECU:

1V3lX.gif 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

IIRC, the Guardians audience demo is the only one (besides BP now) that significantly differs from other Marvel movies. I'm assuming Homecoming skewed a lot younger too, but up until BP, Guardians had the biggest female audience share.

Spiderman has his on set of fans.  Antman has it's own set of fans.  My friend who dislikes CBMs is going to A&W because he thought it AM was 'different' then the typical CBM.

I'm not sure I understand the sudden dismissing of IW. BP can only affect IW in a positive manner. If you thought IW was going to be huge before BP then it can only get huger.

• Like 4