That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Great villains usually mean the hero is overshadowed though (how many people still claim TDK is just average when the Joker isn't around), Thor was definitely overshadowed by Loki for a while and BP got some of that in this too. To build a popular franchise, it was probably smart to not focus too much on villains.

I'd say it's hard to make both the villain and heroes compelling just because it's often more fun to write the villains dialogue, then it is give the hero an arc of sorts. 

I will say that I think phase 2's villains in general have been much better though. Most of the recent villains seem to have have better screentime and motivation, which is a good thing. 

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

True... But, one could say that given there's really never been a superhero flick in the golden age of box office for superhero flicks like Black Panther that the superhero genre at large in cinemas has been building to Black Panther for a quarter century.

I mean, just from the think pieces, etc., it's obvious that BP is more novel and more anticipated than any team up. MCU folk seem to understand that just fine. Hell, it's not like anything in the MCU has actually matched Spider-man '02 in admissions aside from, maybe, Avengers.

It's really all Marvel's doing for better or worse. Perlmutter denied minority and women led movies for years on end, leading to an insane building up of hype and demand for films like BP and Wonder Woman. And they also didn't actually set up Thanos very well for a villain who was supposed to be the "Big Bad" of the first ten years. So much attention was given to the MacGuffin Stones but at the end of the day, they are just static plot devices. Thanos was whom they should have been focusing on. Gamora and Nebula's relationship with their father should have been the primary plot line of GotG2 instead of taking the backseat to yet another Gen X white dude daddy issue rehash.

IW is going to make a shipload of money regardless and BP making more than IW domestically will be an incredibly valuable lesson for Hollywood if it's willing to learn from it. So I'm not complaining. But if Marvel wanted to ensure IW to be bigger than BP, they should have taken different crucial decisions and approaches.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's really all Marvel's doing for better or worse. Perlmutter denied minority and women led movies for years on end, leading to an insane building up of hype and demand for films like BP and Wonder Woman. And they also didn't actually set up Thanos very well for a villain who was supposed to be the "Big Bad" of the first ten years. So much attention was given to the MacGuffin Stones but at the end of the day, they are just static plot devices. Thanos was whom they should have been focusing on. Gamora and Nebula's relationship with their father should have been the primary plot line of GotG2 instead of taking the backseat to yet another Gen X white dude daddy issue rehash.

IW is going to make a shipload of money regardless and BP making more than IW domestically will be an incredibly valuable lesson for Hollywood if it's willing to learn from it. So I'm not complaining. But if Marvel wanted to ensure IW to be bigger than BP, they should have taken different crucial decisions and approaches.

No one can ensure any movie makes more than any other. Sony never could've predicted Jumanji making more than all their Spiderman movies. Breakouts inherently unpredictable.

A Black Panther movie in 2011 probably wouldn't have made half a dent. Sometimes you just get a perfect storm.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

RECORD

MORE THAN DOUBLE DEADPOOL!!! 

14 Deadpool Fox $19,759,214 3,558 $5,553 2/15/16 4 $152.2 $363.1

Deadpool held the record for the highest President's Day Monday, Black Panther just freaking DOUBLED it! :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 6

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Deadpool held the record for the highest President's Day Monday, Black Panther just freaking DOUBLED it! :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Are you telling me that an 80M Monday is confirmed if BP2 can keep the President’s day slot?

4 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Deadpool held the record for the highest President's Day, Black Panther just freaking DOUBLED it! :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

If that continues for the rest of the film's run, it would finish around $670m.

• Like 1