grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

The quicker that Universal and the producers figure out that what makes Jurassic movies a mega hit is the functioning park and not the dinosaurs is going to re-ignite the franchise again in a few years.  CGI dinosaurs running around outside the park is boring and nobody really cares.  

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Have there been blockbusters before that were loved by critics but disliked by the GA? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thats ... not how it works. A movie wont be a blockbuster if its heavily disliked by the GA. There are plenty of high-budget movies that went over well with critics where the positive reviews didnt lead to a big success though. Blade Runner 2049, Edge of Tomorrow or The Suicide Squad come to mind.

But again: Not in the sense that the GA didnt like those movies as well (they are all great movies imo), but just that positive reviews were not enough to help them become big blockbusters.

37 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Id go so far to say that the number of people who liked Fallen Kingdom isnt small at all. Its just that on the Internet these movies are among those that get a lot of hate because its very easy to nitpick them. Most of the GA though probably doesnt care too much as long as they're just having a fun time watching dinosaur carnage.

Fallen Kingdom still got an A-...like, it's pretty fair to say GA generally enjoyed it. Box office forums are just a bubble of film enjoyers, they don't really reflect what most people think about films at all.

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

CGI dinosaurs running around outside the park is boring and nobody really cares.  

I think a Dino invasion would sell, but it seems they aren't doing that either despite the set up. All the reactions indicate Dominion went for more of the same we've already seen before instead of leaning into full out chaos on a global scale. 

• Like 1

Jurassic Park has a fantastic premise and hook, but it doesn't really sustain itself after the first book and movie. Even Crichton's sequel novel is vastly inferior to the original.

But no recognizable IP can just lay dormant or be done with these days

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The quicker that Universal and the producers figure out that what makes Jurassic movies a mega hit is the functioning park and not the dinosaurs is going to re-ignite the franchise again in a few years.  CGI dinosaurs running around outside the park is boring and nobody really cares.  

Lost World had the biggest opening ever despite not having the original park. The only reason it made less than the first movie was because it was crap and was a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. Fallen Kingdom also did really well even though the park was destroyed, and only made less because it was crap and a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. And from what I can gather, Dominion doesn't even use the "dinosaurs messing up the real world" to its potential at all. I think there's more underlying factors than just "theme park".

And besides, what else is there to do with the "dinosaur theme park" idea? The best I can think of is maybe show the construction of the theme park, but that still doesn't scream "must-see" and would probably do better as a streaming show.

• Like 2

If i were Universal, i would give this franchise a nice long hiatus of at least 5 or 6 years before making any new movie, regardless if Dominion is the best or the worst movie of all time.

Use that hiatus to really think about good ideas where the movies could go next. Make the franchise stay relevant in the meantime with TV shows, Video games, Comics etc.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

If i were Universal, i would give this franchise a nice long hiatus of at least 5 or 6 years before making any new movie, regardless if Dominion is the best or the worst movie of all time.

Use that hiatus to really think about good ideas where the movies could go next. Make the franchise stay relevant in the meantime with TV shows, Video games, Comics etc.

With Top Gun 2 doing so well, there's only one correct answer

ST0JHtB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The way reactions are coming, it seems that they didn't fully lean into Dinosaurs being integrated into modern world. 

Dinosaurs are still in Sanctuaries of Biosyn, under the control of mob bosses, and all that

Where are the free flowing dinosaurs in wild and chaos. Where's the destruction of natural resources and where's the imbalance in nature due to dinosaurs being released. I doubt they've showed much like this and focused more on Locusts and stuff. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Lost World had the biggest opening ever despite not having the original park. The only reason it made less than the first movie was because it was crap and was a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. Fallen Kingdom also did really well even though the park was destroyed, and only made less because it was crap and a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. And from what I can gather, Dominion doesn't even use the "dinosaurs messing up the real world" to its potential at all. I think there's more underlying factors than just "theme park".

And besides, what else is there to do with the "dinosaur theme park" idea? The best I can think of is maybe show the construction of the theme park, but that still doesn't scream "must-see" and would probably do better as a streaming show.

The problem with the JP sequels isn’t the lack of the park, it’s the lack of a decent story with well written characters that you care about. In JP1 you care when Alan, Lex and Tim risk climbing the fence because you’ve spent an hour getting to know them with quiet moments like the scene where they feed the brachiosaurus, comparatively you don’t care about the kids in Jurassic World because all they do is whine and mope.

There’s absolutely no reason why a “dinosaurs out of the park” film can’t work, it just needs Universal to realise that dinosaur spectacle isn’t the ONLY thing that these films should be.

• Like 2

If given to me, i would make a series based on various Dinosaurs per episode.

Episode - Follows the Mosasaurus which ia destroying the marine life. 

Episode - Follows the group of wildlife warndens struggling to control Herd Dinosaurs infestation and their imoact on local wildlife.

Episode - An episode about an injured raptor who due to a disability has turned man eater, and local police attempts to bag it before it kills more people.

Episode - Focusing on Commercial uses of Dinosaurs, Big herbivores in farms, Galimimus in Track Racing, Dinosaurs in circus and Illegal fight clubs. 

Episode - A genetic abomination has been let loose in a city of Asia, rampage of abomination ending up in a showdown between that and a lion, tiger and beer of local zoo

Final Episode - Scientists have made another breakthrough as they have brought back to life a Mammoth, but it's not all, episode ends with some nefarious scientists having obtained the DNA of..... A Megalodon.

Rest for season 2 or the next movie..... 

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

9 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

comparatively you don’t care about the kids in Jurassic World because all they do is whine and mope.

There is a scene in Jurassic World which sticks out in my mind where the elder brother tells the younger brother "You jumped" after they jump down a waterfall (?) or something to escape the dinosaurs.

That dialogue is framed in a way to make it seem like a mega revelation or character moment when there's nothing prior to that moment to suggest that the younger kid would not jump.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

comparatively you don’t care about the kids in Jurassic World because all they do is whine and mope.

Mannnnnn I could write a book about how awful Love Simon was in the first Jurassic World. Such a detestable and obnoxious douchebag, even for a dumb stupid teenager. The other kid was kinda cool though. He was the only character in the first movie with any personality.

• Like 3