grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Kimmel was definitely weaker than last year. The whole show was kind of unexciting.

i'm telling you lowest ever ratings are locked. 

although shape of water is the highest grossing BP winner since argo but that speaks to how mucn no1curr about the winners these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

No, you said you think we can agree.

Too much latitude and caveats. Objection sustained.

Wow going all lawyer on me. Proof that Roman J. Israel, Esq, which is THE lawyer movie, wuz robbed.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

although shape of water is the highest grossing BP winner since argo but that speaks to how mucn no1curr about the winners these days.

SoW would probably have done 100+ by now but I think #fishsex was just a bit too much still for some. We haven't even legalized inter-species marriage yet. Baby steps. 

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

But then Black Panther will be a strong contender next year, no? :thinking: 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

SoW would probably have done 100+ by now but I think #fishsex was just a bit too much still for some. We haven't even legalized inter-species marriage yet. Baby steps. 

Honestly, it should have swapped release dates with Three Billboards. There were too many options over late December/early January. The wide interest was there as evident by how well it expanded after nominations.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It actually did better at the box office than I thought it would even after seeing it. Should land with around $65-70M by the time it closes up shop, fantastic given the $20M budget.

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I wonder if/when we are ever going to see a true blockbuster win again? Been 15 years now since RotK. Prior to that year, 4 out of the previous 6 winners were blockbuster level grossers and the other 2 near 200m as well adjusted. 

Edited by MovieMan89

The wins by Deakins and Peele were the highlights of the show and awards season this year. The cinematography and visual effects for BR2049 were superb. Deakins has had better work but he was long overdue and his work this year was still better than anything else on screens in 2017. That sex scene in BR2049 was easily the most remarkable visual effect I saw all year so that win was also deserved.

It was great to see Peele win for Original Screenplay as it was well deserved. I certainly would have preferred him also claiming the trifecta with wins for Directing and Picture but at least he won for his screenplay. I look forward to his work in the future.

Overall, it was a good show despite the insane running time.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

2017 was so close to lowest ratings that it is probable yes, if it follow Superbowl drop it will go around 30.5m

The globes scored better in 2018 than all the year since the big 2014 in market share too:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/289834/tv-ratings-golden-globes/

So I guess it could have maintained (at least percentage of people still watching tv wise).

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Looking at prior years, and I have literally no idea what Philomena is. It was just 5 years ago but I literally have no recollection of such a movie existing, let alone being nominated for Best Picture.

That might be the worst movie nominated for BP this decade (yes, even worse than Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close). Good acting, lame as hell execution of an interesting story. Only Harvey (back when he had clout) could've sold people on that nonsense.