grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

11 minutes ago, RichWS said:

There were several moments when I thought, "The ratings are going to be so terrible". I was listening to a podcast during the second half, glancing up at the muted TV to see who won.

Half of the time I was just walking around doing something else during commercials and when the show came back, I went "Eh, it's another five minute long montage, who cares!"

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am 100% certain it would not be nominated or if it did not win. 

It's a pointless discussion because a LOTR movie in 2018 would never be exactly like the LOTR movies from the early 2000s from the start. Those are the movies of their time and they were justly rewarded in their time, doesn't make them any worse now but we as a culture don't live in that time anymore. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yes, because clearly the Academy decides which movies to vote for based on what isn't a giant blockbuster smash. Sure.

Again, they are totally ignoring the fact of there is not much blockbuster reaching the height of LOTR in term of quality especially post-2010

Don't tell me avengers or HG, or TFA are deserving, I watched them all....just isn't....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Why Cant Black Panther be nominated for Best Picture? 

I think it can, SH movie got guild nominated quite a bit recently, Guardian of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman, Logan, with a strong below the line to make sure it stay alive.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Again, they are totally ignoring the fact of there is not much blockbuster reaching the height of LOTR in term of quality especially post-2010

Don't tell me avengers or HG, or TFA are deserving, I watched them all....just isn't....

Well there was Mad Max. Which even won with all those snobby elitist fun-hating critics! The Academy only has itself to blame for missing that one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a pointless discussion because a LOTR movie in 2018 would never be exactly like the LOTR movies from the early 2000s from the start. Those are the movies of their time and they were justly rewarded in their time, doesn't make them any worse now but we as a culture don't live in that time anymore. 

Ah yes, the dark times, the early 2000's, when the Inquisition was not yet fully operational.

Glad it s over.

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am 100% certain it would not be nominated or if it did not win. 

Why ?

If MadMax 4 can get in, why would Lord of the ring could not ?

There is almost no good movie making big box office that does not get in best picture, Gravity, MadMax, American Sniper, Blind Side, Avatar, Dunkirk, Inception, King Speech, Help, Hidden Figures, etc... if you do big box office and you can be interesting to 65 year's old (and can follow what is going on sequel wise), you just need to be good enough and you are in almost 100% of the time.

Why would Lords of the Ring be an rare exception ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lord of the Rings would not win because it would be seen as too white lol 

I can just imagine the endless think piece articles about it lol 

What will be interesting to see is if the Amazon Lord of the Rings show that they paid 250 million for will be all white like the movies were since Middle Earth is clearly modeled after old timey Europe or if there will be corporate mandated diversity quota.  I personally don't care as long as its not IN YO FACE like Rose in TFA or Laura Dern's pink haired rebel child character.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lord of the Rings would not win because it would be seen as too white lol 

I can just imagine the endless think piece articles about it lol 

Ahhhhhhhhh. in that sense.

I am not 100% sure about that, it does not seem to hinder Game of Thrones at the Emmy, SAG and industry award in general and Lords of the Rings has much more gravitas/respected as a piece of world literature to overcome any think piece.

Fury Road had a bit of those white post apocalypse thinkpiece wrote about it (even thought Australia is well, over 90% white) and that didn't stop it at the Oscar, it is a group that nominated a group of 100% white actor the year of the oscarsowhite scandal, old people tend to not like to be told what to do very much.

But I imagine a 2015 made Lord of the Rings would be a bit more diverse, the story (fantastic, multiple place) make it so easy to do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What will be interesting to see is if the Amazon Lord of the Rings show that they paid 250 million for will be all white like the movies were since Middle Earth is clearly modeled after old timey Europe or if there will be corporate mandated diversity quota.  I personally don't care as long as its not IN YO FACE like Rose in TFA or Laura Dern's pink haired rebel child character.

Hopefully its better than the shoehorned female elf character in the Hobbit trilogy.