grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's one thing i know for sure and it's that if the lord of the rings movies were made today they would for sure be uglier.

It really is kinda remarkable how the Lord of the Rings movies and the Hobbit movies looked like they were made in two completely separate eras despite being only about a decade apart and being from the same director. Movies are way too reliant on CGI nowadays. 

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

pointless character in a pointless subplot that has no bearing on anything

unless of course you think star wars is about saving animals, the evils of capitalism/greed, and arms sales

Ohhhh right, the old "The hero's mission failed therefore it was pointless" argument, gotcha.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It really is kinda remarkable how the Lord of the Rings movies and the Hobbit movies looked like they were made in two completely separate eras despite being only about a decade apart and being from the same director. Movies are way too reliant on CGI nowadays. 

it was looking rough for a minute but i think i'm finally able to say that guillermo walking away from those movies was a smart move.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's one thing i know for sure and it's that if the lord of the rings movies were made today they would for sure be uglier.

oh you done it now, don't want to start another trite practical vs. CGI but now this gem needs to be posted again

VRAvadR.png

• Like 2

Shape of water, has the biggest weekend gross during oscar weekend since argo(1.8m vs 1.4m), and argo had already out in DVD/digital market by its wining, and hence no big boost in theater count(802 to 985) after the wining, still, earned about 6.3m after became BP winner. If that is any trace, SOW will likely earned another 6m, and could come even higher since theater count jump is going to be much more higher, and the movie isn't out in digital/DVD market. 

7 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:
13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

unless of course you think star wars is about saving animals, the evils of capitalism/greed, and arms sales

Is it not the base of the very first episode ? :ph34r:

opening_scroll.gif

• Like 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Shape of water, has the biggest weekend gross during oscar weekend since argo(1.8m vs 1.4m), and argo had already out in DVD/digital market by its wining, and hence no big boost in theater count(802 to 985) after the wining, still, earned about 6.3m after became BP winner. If that is any trace, SOW will likely earned another 6m, and could come even higher since theater count jump is going to be much more higher, and the movie isn't out in digital/DVD market. 

I think it comes out on DVD next week.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Peter Jackson looked like a big kid having the time of his life making LOTR

PusIQCm.gif

YFmNGKG.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This. I miss the authenticity of the real set. LOTR was so glorious with it. So was Harry Potter.  

I recall Peter Jackson saying something like how the experience working on The Hobbit movies was a terrible one.

He was rushed to complete the film without the proper prep work because everything was already in place and he was taking over last minute for Guillermo Del Toro who dropped out. He basically had to make the movie on the fly, which would explain part of the quality difference.

With Lord of the Rings he had years to do careful and meticulous prep work and writing with Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens before starting to shoot. 

Peace,

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeQ said:

I recall Peter Jackson saying something like how the experience working on The Hobbit movies was a terrible one.

He was rushed to complete the film without the proper prep work because everything was already in place and he was taking over last minute for Guillermo Del Toro who dropped out. He basically had to make the movie on the fly, which would explain part of the quality difference.

With Lord of the Rings he had years to do careful and meticulous prep work and writing with Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens before starting to shoot. 

Peace,

Mike

All this is true, but he was the one who chose to rush (yes, there was outside pressure for sure, but he was the single biggest creative person with authority over all aspects of the production).

11 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

All this is true, but he was the one who chose to rush (yes, there was outside pressure for sure, but he was the single biggest creative person with authority over all aspects of the production).

True - I think he had basically gotten in over his head, and admitted to not knowing what he was doing, really. It's just a shame it played out the way it did. It would have been more ideal that Jackson was on board as director from the get-go, or that Del Toro stayed on (I would have enjoyed seeing his vision for The Hobbit).

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichWS said:

There were several moments when I thought, "The ratings are going to be so terrible". I was listening to a podcast during the second half, glancing up at the muted TV to see who won.

I was pretty sure when Kimmel made some joke about VP Pence that ratings would be in the toilet.

All the subjects in Hollywood to poke at and mock and he chooses Pence?

Was there a single joke at any Democrat's expense?