Eric S'ennui

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

TR and LS both having really awful Saturday holds at my theatre. TR did our equivalent of 5.6M for true Friday, and might not even make that for Saturday. It will be over/under.

Simon actually did a bit better here yesterday than I thought, I think i said 3.4 or something but it was actually 3.9. Saturday looking at 3-3.5 tho

At my theater TR did pretty well. 3D was half-almost full and so was regular showings. granted this was mainly in the small-medium theaters. The large theaters were mainly for Imax but it wasn't a hot seller, (maybe its like 3 bucks more expensive then 3D and many didn't feel like it was worth the extra $$). 

Edited by Belle
  • Like 1

Did people really think Love Simon would do high teens.  the film wasn't even tracking well and they had to do sneak previews to get interests up. even with great word-of-mouth the subject matter probably won't get many people to theaters. maybe a great movie but it's just not a mainstream one.

24 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Did people really think Love Simon would do high teens.  the film wasn't even tracking well and they had to do sneak previews to get interests up. even with great word-of-mouth the subject matter probably won't get many people to theaters. maybe a great movie but it's just not a mainstream one.

It will outgross both Call Me By Your Name and Moonlight within the next week or two. That is a notable feat given the awards PR that propelled those two films. Sure, it's no Brokeback; but it doesn't have Brokeback's cast, either. 

Money aside, the people seeing the film are loving its emotional and heartwarming impact. That's far more important to some moviegoers than experiencing the latest visual spectacle.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

it was possible I don't remember the last non-franchise/non-horror film targeted at teens that had solid marketing campaign behind it

given they are not catered to anymore, they are conditioned to wait for streaming

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

it was possible I don't remember the last non-franchise/non-horror film targeted at teens that had solid marketing campaign behind it

given they are not catered to anymore, they are conditioned to wait for streaming

I feel like they are also the demographic most adept at finding online versions of  a movie before official streaming begins.

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

People need to stop thinking studios fudge numbers other than very, very, very, very rarely.  

Yeah, there are times where it happens like Spectre, but there is no fudge happening with Fifty Shades right now.  Universal only has one movie in the market place at the moment and they are asking theaters to hold onto a show per day of it.  That is how the theater count is staying up and how the gross is still going.  

There is no conspiracy, they simply helping the film out by keeping it going by offering theaters an incentive to play it.  

There can be manipulation, but everyone reports to the same service that everyone can plainly see not only the numbers but where exactly they are coming from.  

Since when has fudge been restricted to meaning reallocating from other films grosses? Fudge has always been used to refer to not letting the film play out naturally in order to inflate the gross. Can be various forms of manipulation, and what you described in your post is obvious manipulation. Uni would be offering no incentive for Freed if they didn't want to ensure that 100m.

Most examples of fudging are exactly what you described. The conversations I've been having with several others about if Uni would fudge Freed for weeks were talking about if they'd do the part of your post I bolded. The whole reallocating money thing is extremely rare and usually only done in the most desperate scenarios. And that was impossible in Freed's case since Uni has no options for that, something I said weeks ago. But thank you for proving my point though that Uni is fudging to ensure that 100m. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 1

Yeah I don't know how you can call Freed a fudge. It's playing out pretty goddamn naturally. It's had four 50%+ drops in a row. 

You can argue that it shouldn't still be in theatres or some shit but theatres do tend to play movies in them and this year has been pretty terrible so far in providing films that actually make money, bar BP. Seems pretty logical to keep one of the ones that is making money on their screens. It only dropped out of the top 10 last weekend. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Since when has fudge been restricted to meaning reallocating from other films grosses? Fudge has always been used to refer to not letting the film play out naturally in order to inflate the gross. Can be various forms of manipulation, and what you described in your post is obvious manipulation. Uni would be offering no incentive for Freed if they didn't want to ensure that 100m.

Most examples of fudging are exactly what you described. The conversations I've been having with several others about if Uni would fudge Freed for weeks were talking about if they'd do the part of your post I bolded. The whole reallocating money thing is extremely rare and usually only done in the most desperate scenarios. And that was impossible in Freed's case since Uni has no options for that, something I said weeks ago. But thank you for proving my point though that Uni is fudging to ensure that 100m. 

Problem is, how does one define 'playing out naturally'?  Given how many variables there are in every film's run, I don't know how it's possible to define it.

FTR, I don't think any sort of fudging is going on in regards to Freed.   It'll hit 100m the old-fashioned way:  By keeping it in enough theaters so it crosses over. 

If we define this as fudging, then we also have to define studios that leave films in theaters for months as fudging as well.  And I personally would rather not go down that road. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Your club failed naturally. It's okay. We all get things wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Warcraft looked bad just from the trailers

i remember thinking Asassins Creed could actually be good. Lol

I'm right there with you, I thought Warcraft looked like shit from the trailers :rofl: The movie turned out to be glorious, hokey nonsense w/abysmal acting. I did get some investment from the Orcs though, not gonna lie, and the CGI was excellent, but otherwise, yeah, Warcraft is pretty bleh (albeit hilarious bleh).

Assassin's Creed makes Warcraft look like Mortal Kombat, though. Holy shit, that movie is unforgivably awful.

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

For the topic title:

Jumanji also crossed $400M!

I know that's likely happening this weekend, but do we have a confirmation post? 

(I'm on mobile, but I can update things for the next few) 

3 minutes ago, A Roc in Time said:

I know that's likely happening this weekend, but do we have a confirmation post? 

(I'm on mobile, but I can update things for the next few) 

Not yet. Gotta wait for the Sat/Sun #'s.

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Black Panther had, by far, the smallest Friday to Friday drop after the IW trailer dropped?

Coincidence? :redcapes:

Yes. It is a coincidence.

Random observation: is it me or are these "thank you for coming to the movies" introductions before the movie starts becoming more and more commonplace? I got one last week before A Wrinkle in Time with Ava DuVernay and also got one yesterday before Love, Simon with Nick Robinson and the director. They're really trying to combat the piracy problem, huh?

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Random observation: is it me or are these "thank you for coming to the movies" introductions before the movie starts becoming more and more commonplace? I got one last week before A Wrinkle in Time with Ava DuVernay and also got one yesterday before Love, Simon with Nick Robinson and the director. They're really trying to combat the piracy problem, huh?

Marcus Cinemas does this every time with their owner before the movies.