Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I don't know about "never will be beat" (I can think of at least 10 video games that could easily have at least solid adaptations - I have a pretty good pitch for a Far Cry movie myself :ph34r:), but as of now, yup, it's the one to beat.

Shame a hack director already tried and failed at that. Though that film is a guilty z grade pleasure of mine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still am dumbfounded how that managed to pull the OW and multi it did. Nearly 40m OW and 170m DOM, or like 55/225 adjusted.

:gold:

11 minutes ago, Cookson said:

:wintf:

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still am dumbfounded how that managed to pull the OW and multi it did. Nearly 40m OW and 170m DOM, or like 55/225 adjusted.

It struck at one particular moment in time. If it were made today with the same exact cast, it would be a straight to Netflix release.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But it's not like any of those guys were exactly draws in '07 either...

I saw Wild Hogs in the theaters. It's a success was a case of being released at the right time, and appealing to the right audience. Disney did a good job of marketing it as well.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

A young 20-something couple saw Love Simon today and absolutely loved it, both of them were crying when they came out it was kinda nice to see

Have you had any customers who've told you how crap it is?

I feel so alone in my dislike of it.

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But it's not like any of those guys were exactly draws in '07 either...

The trailers played extremely well on television from memory and them being pass their prime matched the movie premise.

But I agree that a movie like this would have an hard time today.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Black Panther will have to settle for 2nd or 3rd all time Superhero movie adjusted. FLOP

Black Panther is ahead of Avengers at this point in its run and Avengers had 60M left in the tank. Would be very surprised if this doesn't beat Dark Knight.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The trailers played extremely well on television from memory and them being pass their prime matched the movie premise.

But I agree that a movie like this would have an hard time today.

Past their prime? Wait, are we suggesting that William H Macy and Tim Allen were EVER box office draws?

7 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

Past their prime? Wait, are we suggesting that William H Macy and Tim Allen were EVER box office draws?

I dunno if they were ever box office draws (outside of the Toy Story movies, which don't really count like that), but Home Improvement was one of the highest rated shows on TV for most of the 90s.

No, I don't get it either, but it happened.

13 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

Well Macy could get 750k on a movie type of salary and Tim Allen was one in the Christmas comedy genre at some point and a star I would imagine, but I had much more Travolta in mind here.

Edited by Barnack

13 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

Kind of for Tim Allen tbh. Why else did his made for TV caliber stuff like the first two Santa Clause movies, Galaxy Quest, Jungle 2 Jungle, and Christmas With the Kranks make that much in the late 90's/early 00's? All are 100-300m adjusted grossers.