Eric Prime

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah I don't like 3D anymore but I also saw it in a Dolby theater and the sound was insane.

:whosad:I watched in a small-screened theatre at the back seats and the sound was set quite low

Didn't get the full experience that's for sure.

Edited by IronJimbo

Back from RPO. Movie is a lot of fun for anyone that probably fits the demo that we all do here (movie/pop culture buffs). Spielberg’s most enjoyable big budget flick for me since Minority Report, no contest.

Wasn’t convinced however that the movie is widely appealing to a casual audience - or more importantly, females in general. Ive said the marketing has looked so geeky, and that’s because the film absolutely is through and through. One of the geekiest big budget films I’ve ever seen, and I’m including the Wachowski’s films in that statement. Will be interesting to see what kind f a multi it has.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Anyone else feel Mark Rylance was channeling Tommy Wiseau with his hairstyle and delivery?

autistic tommy wiseau is something I need more of in my life.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

RPO is geeky if you look at all its references and shit but at its core it's a fun, enjoyable adventure movie with a basic premise.  A casual audience will be able to watch it with ease.

exactly.  while yes it's geeky, it's not as geeky as most are making it out to be.

If RPO isn't a teenage boy's fangasm turned into a $200 million dollar film, than I don't know what it is. Not that I'm knocking it for being that mind you, but yeah wide casual appeal will be very surprising to me. 

Anyways, Spielberg blockbuster/popcorn flicks rankings anyone?

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. Jurassic Park

3. Jaws

4. E.T.

5. Minority Report

6. Temple of Doom

7. Ready Player One

8. The Last Crusade

9. Tintin

10. Close Encounters

11. The BFG

12. War of the Worlds

13. The Lost World

14. Hook

15. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

If RPO isn't a teenage boy's fangasm turned into a $200 million dollar film, than I don't know what it is. Not that I'm knocking it for being that mind you, but yeah wide casual appeal will be very surprising to me. 

Anyways, Spielberg blockbuster/popcorn flicks rankings anyone?

2. Jurassic Park

3. Jaws

4. E.T.

5. Minority Report

6. Temple of Doom

7. Ready Player One

8. The Last Crusade

9. Tintin

10. Close Encounters

11. The BFG

12. War of the Worlds

13. The Lost World

14. Hook

15. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

err, what? How many teenage boys have seen The Shining? The references are all for adults, everything is from the 70s and 80s because apparently in this parallel universe set in 2045, no new films were made in the last 60 years.

As for your list. How are you defining those? Just his genre movies? Because if you do it by which were expensive films made for wide audience then Jaws well that was made for about tree fiddy. If you do it by blockbuster success then Tintin has got to go.

But from those films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. War of the Worlds

4. Close Encounters

5. Jaws

6. ET

7. Jurassic Park

8. The Lost World

9. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

10. Ready Player One

11. Temple of Doom

12. Minority Report

Haven't seen BFG or Tintin and cant remember Hook although I have seen it.

Also you're forgetting Duel and Poltergeist 

• Like 1

Just now, November Treejax said:

err, what? How many teenage boys have seen The Shining? The references are all for adults, everything is from the 70s and 80s because apparently in this parallel universe set in 2045, no new films were made in the last 60 years.

As for your list. How are you defining those? Just his genre movies? Because if you do it by which were expensive films made for wide audience then Jaws well that was made for about tree fiddy. If you do it by blockbuster success then Tintin has got to go.

But from those films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. War of the Worlds

4. Close Encounters

5. Jaws

6. ET

7. Jurassic Park

8. The Lost World

9. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

10. Ready Player One

11. Temple of Doom

12. Minority Report

Haven't seen BFG or Tintin and cant remember Hook although I have seen it.

Also you're forgetting Duel and Poltergeist 

Well that's true, the pop culture references themselves skew very 80's, which could be a bit odd for a concept that otherwise seems like it would be a teen boy's fangasm. 

The movies are his ones I'd consider popcorn flicks, blockbusters in the spirit of the term not necessarily in budget or success. Saving Private Ryan or Lincoln were huge successes, but definitely wouldn't group them in that category. 

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

2. Jurassic Park

3. Jaws

4. E.T.

5. Minority Report

6. Temple of Doom

7. Ready Player One

8. The Last Crusade

9. Tintin

10. Close Encounters

11. The BFG