Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Nope. One mindless git even spoke on the phone multiple times. The same idiots came half an hour late and then spent the entire movie discussing loudly what they had missed. The most annoying thing were the girls inexplicable giggling nearly throughout the movie when there is hardly any joke in there. There were no ushers or any employee in sight either to complaint. 

But I enjoyed the movie regardless so its all OK

I would've just gone to get an employee or refund at that point. I never want to raise my voice loudly and get beat up or kicked out for being aggresive :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I would've just gone to get an employee or refund at that point. I never want to raise my voice loudly and get beat up or kicked out for being aggresive :lol: 

That's difficult to pull off when most of your audience is made up of ancient people who can barely move. :redcapes:

Looking at how everything is doing, "Rampage" was smart to move, it has some space to atleast try to attract some of the audience maybe as "Kong" did last year but we will see (It's not sniffing Kong's 61 OW though, I don't see it) But it seems there will definitely some films still doing well when "IW" drops.  

9 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

For the most part, Platinum Dunes horror films have been remakes. They’ve co-produced the Purge and Ouija movies with Blumhouse.

It’s almost as if Platinum Dunes saw the success Blumhouse had with Jordan Peele and Michael Bay wanted to use his connection with John Krasinski to get a similar result. Clearly paid off. :P

That's true, it has been mostly remakes.   This does feel like a Blumhouse type formula as AQP is definitely low budget horror (I think under 20 Million budget for this) but its performing like a Blockbuster.  

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Just saw A Quiet Place. Very good movie, amazing concept and great acting. Emily Blunt was awesome in this. Not as great as Get Out was but still good nonetheless. 

But make sure you try and see this with as minimal audience as you can or audience who can maintain pin drop silence. The utter c**nts sitting behind us nearly ruined the movie with their talking, I was this close to knocking them the fuck out. 

People had brought in their own food, chip packets and whatever, and, it seemed to me anyway, deliberately making all the noise they possibly could.

• Disbelief 1

59 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

That's true, it has been mostly remakes.   This does feel like a Blumhouse type formula as AQP is definitely low budget horror (I think under 20 Million budget for this) but its performing like a Blockbuster.  

I feel like A Quiet Place should be the Blumhouse film and Truth or Dare should be the Platinum Dunes film. :P

3 hours ago, picores said:

Black Panther looks to drop only 20-23% from last weekend. Wow. 700 looks very very good even with IW in a few weeks.

Shouldn't IW only help BP? Imagine a lot of places will run a double feature or something 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I haven't been here enough this past week to ascertain how people don't like it.  All I know is that I loved it and when I saw it, I said I think this could a Sixth Sense kind of repeat value to it.  It's not going to have a 11 multiplier, times have changed in 19 years, but I think it could have a 3.5-3.7X because there is so much to pick up on in the first viewing that you need a second and third viewing to see it all.  This first weekend drop, imo, points to this having a very a good run.  

Saw it with my brother last night, who is three years younger than me, and not quite as big a fan of some of the movies that it pays respect to, but he loved it and now wants to see it again and he wants to go home and watch some of the stuff the film touches on.  The one big scene that everyone is in love with, was also his favourite in the movie.

Hoping it can get to 160-170.

It's so interesting how nuanced and complex one's movie taste can be.  For example, I noticed there are several movies you liked that the "consensus" didn't - which I also really enjoyed (Hitman's Bodyguard, etc).  But you loved RPO and I really hate it with a passion..I mean a truly strong negative visceral reaction.  It just goes to show how overly simplistic the phrase "same taste in movies" can be 

• Like 1

Deadline Update:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/a-quiet-place-blockers-ready-player-one-weekend-box-office-1202359716/

Early Sunday AM Update: Paramount’s A Quiet Place is headed past $50M according to industry estimates this morning ($50.4M) after a Saturday of $19.1M, which is $100K higher than Friday’s take. Note Friday included $4.3M Thursday previews, so what this means is that A Quiet Place isn’t front-loaded like your standard horror movie, and that’s a fantastic sign for business.

This is a truly great start for Paramount with a film that is bound to be quite profitable off its net $17M cost before P&A. In fact you have to go back to 2016 in regards to the last time when Paramount opened a film this high over three-days (Star Trek Beyond with $59.2M, but at a $185M pricetag it spilled red ink with a $343.5M global B.O.). Given both the commercial and critical success here with A Quiet Place, it blasts John Krasinski’s directing career off after indie turns with The Hollars and Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, and it continues to underscore Platinum Dunes’ dominance in the genre sphere after such hits as The Purge and Ouija series (which were made with Blumhouse).

It was a great weekend for Warner Bros. and Universal as well. Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One from WB/Village Roadshow had a great hold which bodes well for its legs, -39% in its second weekend with $25.35M in No. 2 after a Saturday that was +65% over Friday with $11.2M. Current running cume for this feature take on Ernest Cline’s YA novel: $97.4M.

Universal was able to ward off the curse for R-rated raunchy comedies with the Point Grey/Good Universe/DMG Entertainment/Hurwitz & Scholossberg produced Blockers seeing a $21.4M opening in third after a $8.3M Saturday, +6% over Friday.

Further down at No. 7 is Entertainment Studios’ Chappaquiddick which drew a low $5.9M at 1,560. Mirror/LD’s teen volleyball movie The Miracle Season didn’t spike business with $4.1M at 1,707 venues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

$54M seems like an awful optimistic weekend # to start from right now...Sunday night is gonna be dead, and Saturday will be hard pressed to beat overall Friday (Friday + previews)...so, I'm not sure how you get to that OW number except a little faith?:)

I mean $19, $19, and $12.5 gets me to $50.5M...are you even more optimistic than a 30% real Friday jump today and a 34% drop on Sunday?

(Now, that being said, I hope you're right b/c I love that this year all these premier movies are just doing great...and the only real disappointments are the reboots and sequels:)...

Okay, AQP - just $100K more and hit my number...and 2 weeks in a row, Deadline should have just stolen my weekend estimate off the full Friday number:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Deadline Update:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/a-quiet-place-blockers-ready-player-one-weekend-box-office-1202359716/

Early Sunday AM Update: Paramount’s A Quiet Place is headed past $50M according to industry estimates this morning ($50.4M) after a Saturday of $19.1M, which is $100K higher than Friday’s take. Note Friday included $4.3M Thursday previews, so what this means is that A Quiet Place isn’t front-loaded like your standard horror movie, and that’s a fantastic sign for business.

This is a truly great start for Paramount with a film that is bound to be quite profitable off its net $17M cost before P&A. In fact you have to go back to 2016 in regards to the last time when Paramount opened a film this high over three-days (Star Trek Beyond with $59.2M, but at a $185M pricetag it spilled red ink with a $343.5M global B.O.). Given both the commercial and critical success here with A Quiet Place, it blasts John Krasinski’s directing career off after indie turns with The Hollars and Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, and it continues to underscore Platinum Dunes’ dominance in the genre sphere after such hits as The Purge and Ouija series (which were made with Blumhouse).

It was a great weekend for Warner Bros. and Universal as well. Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One from WB/Village Roadshow had a great hold which bodes well for its legs, -39% in its second weekend with $25.35M in No. 2 after a Saturday that was +65% over Friday with $11.2M. Current running cume for this feature take on Ernest Cline’s YA novel: $97.4M.

Universal was able to ward off the curse for R-rated raunchy comedies with the Point Grey/Good Universe/DMG Entertainment/Hurwitz & Scholossberg produced Blockers seeing a $21.4M opening in third after a $8.3M Saturday, +6% over Friday.

Further down at No. 7 is Entertainment Studios’ Chappaquiddick which drew a low $5.9M at 1,560. Mirror/LD’s teen volleyball movie The Miracle Season didn’t spike business with $4.1M at 1,707 venues.

Happy this weekend is going so well. March was so dire up to RPO doing well last weekend, it's good we are getting some blood back into the BO as a warm-up for the main dish at the end of the month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

A 39% drop is excellent for RPO. Should finish well over 150m.

Yeah, this is a great drop. Won't be surprised if it comes close to the $168M Kong: Skull Island did last year.

• Like 1