Eric Duncan

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

Just want to say I'm currently watching GoT (for the first time). I'm nearly halfway through season 3. Richard Madden is far and away my favourite character since Sean Bean died, but I'm starting to get worried because Madden started getting a lot of non-GoT work around 2014 and I'm scared it's because he, let's say, was no longer needed on the show :(

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

Alright, my Rocketman report. 

I went to the 7:05pm show. Sold Out. The 7pm also sold out. 

I'm 35 years old, and was BY FAR the youngest person in that theatre!

So regardless how this does opening weekend, it's gonna have legs with the older crowds. 

The film itself - it seems reminiscent of Bohemian Rhapsody, but then at the same time it was just so different. 

It delves a lot deeper into the dark side. It also doesn't have the 20 minute Live Aid ending to end with that feel good ending. Not that it's a depressing ending. I'm just going to have to let it sit for a while. 

One thing is certain though. Taron Eagerton is phenomenal, through and through. 

The film stumbles through his childhood, but once Taron is there it comes alive. Quite impressed with him in this. 

I could see this opening to 35-40 million and legging it out to 150 million. 

Not sure it will get Oscar attention being so far from the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taron still got some love. 

Reposted from weekend thread...

10 hours ago, DAJK said:

Just want to say I'm currently watching GoT (for the first time). I'm nearly halfway through season 3. Richard Madden is far and away my favourite character since Sean Bean died, but I'm starting to get worried because Madden started getting a lot of non-GoT work around 2014 and I'm scared it's because he, let's say, was no longer needed on the show :(

I’m watching it for the first time too, he’s great. Though I’m a bit further ahead 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Still no numbers from last Saturday's paid previews.... kind of odd. 

Anyways, seems to be a steady seller throughout the week on Fandango. 

I'm really hoping it can manage 35 million + opening weekend. We need some market breadth. 

That would be great! May 31 is shaping up to be a huge weekend!

Godzilla + Rocketman + Ma + likely strong holds for JW3 and EG. Aladdin will probably drop harshly but its 2nd weekend will still be a big chunk to the total. I wonder what the record is for the weekend with most $10M+ grossers (all films, not just openers).

Edited by JB33

This was fantastic. 

Taron is amazing.

After a weak initial 10 minutes it really gets going and doesn’t stop. Hit after hit. Although two (really high profile) songs I love didn’t make it in but it makes sense time wise. 

4/5

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This was fantastic. 

Taron is amazing.

After a weak initial 10 minutes it really gets going and doesn’t stop. Hit after hit. Although two (really high profile) songs I love didn’t make it in but it makes sense time wise. 

4/5

That was the only issue I had with the film, they missed including some of his most iconic songs... oh well.

Just now, Krissykins said:

This was fantastic. 

Taron is amazing.

4/5

I echo those thoughts. The first 10 minutes felt too much like a stage musical rather than a movie musical due to the some of the broad acting and dialogue but once Taron and Jamie Bell come to the fore, Rocketman really...takes off (apologies). 

Taron Egerton and Richard Madden singing 'Honky Cat' together is as glorious as I'd imagined.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This was fantastic. 

Taron is amazing.

4/5

I think with Elton's extensive back catalogue, it would have very difficult to fit in all the hits. Sacrifice which is one of my favourites of his didn't make the cut and I think would have fitted in well. 

Edited by Jonwo

Egerton was so good, it's going to suck when he barely scrapes by with a Best Actor nomination (if that, watch the Oscars snub him). I really liked the fantasy aspect of this and I wasn't sure that I would, going into it. Hoping Rocketman succeeds and leads to more unconventional approaches to other musician biopics, though that could probably get just as cliched too, after a while.

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think with Elton's extensive back catalogue, it would have very difficult to fit in all the hits. Sacrifice which is one of my favourites of his didn't make the cut and I think would have fitted in well. 

Yeh the two I was talking about hadn’t been released properly by the time the film ends, so it made sense. 

On 5/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, DAJK said:

LOL, Wait. Are you somehow watching the series unspoiled?  Oh, you sweet summer child.  

:sarah:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

LOL, Wait. Are you somehow watching the series unspoiled?  Oh, you sweet summer child.  

:sarah:

Indeed I am, but I've been so busy with other things these past few days I haven't watched an episode in a while. Will probably binge another 10 or so after the weekend. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Indeed I am, but I've been so busy with other things these past few days I haven't watched an episode in a while. Will probably binge another 10 or so after the weekend. 

Same here, plus there’s so many films out. 

Started season 5 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Tag me when you do.

• Like 1

Just got back. I was in the camp of people that hated Bohemian Rhapsody but I honestly loved this. If there was any doubt Taron Egerton isn't a certified star than this film should prove those people wrong. I hope it does well and secures some Oscar nominations next year. 

• Like 1

Egerton is good and I liked that they went full musical. It's slightly better than Bohemian Rhapsody, but that movie actually had more energy to its musical sequences.

Rocketman is decent but still nothing to write home about. No musical biopic that follows the typical formula (and this one does) will ever again reach greatness I think. Walk the Line was the last one to get away with it in my mind, mostly due to the poignant romance.