Eric Duncan

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

This had some really well cut trailers, but Bo Rhap made me incredibly cautious. Nice to see it being good. Also, wow, Richard Madden's definitely gonna have the best post-GoT career alongside Momoa/Pascal if he continues on this trajectory.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Elton was interested in Justin Timberlake for the role @MrPink

That woulda been a sight to behold

I read Justin Theroux by mistake at first and went :ohmygod:

Then I realized it was Timberlake and, hhmm... he would definitely fit the role better than Hardy though, Hardy's way too butch for young Elton John. Maybe he could have emaciated himself a bit I guess.

The reception for this sounds on par or slightly better than Bohemian Rhapsody except it doesn't soften the dirtier elements for a PG-13 rating and it wasn't made by a controversial director (even if the guy who made this sorta kinda also made that lol). Should make an easy $100M+ at the box office and nab a Golden Globe nomination for Egerton (and maybe the movie too), but that's it.

Thinking mid 60s to low 70s for this on RT. I do think it won't be as mainstream and widespread as Bohemian was because of why it's R-Rated. Especially in the caveman areas bible belt and deep south regions of America.

?cpbc_image_get=&cpbc_image_api=%2Fapi%2

Parental GuidanceROCKETMAN

Alternate Title  
Distributor Paramount Pictures Entertainment Canada ULC
Distributor DBA  
Time 122 min
Format Digital Scope
Date Classified 2019-05-15
BC Copies 1
Classification Parental Guidance
Advisory coarse language; sexually suggestive scenes; drug use; violence
Saskatchewan Classification  Yes
Manitoba Classification Yes
Decision Summary

The following were determinative to the classification decision:

- Approximately 44 instances of coarse and/or sexual language;
- Two sexually suggestive scenes;
- Several scenes of drug use involving cocaine and/or pharmaceuticals;
- Three scenes of violence depicting physical assault and/or self-harm.

Classifiers also noted the following:

- Scene of nudity, depicting breasts, in a non-sexual context.

Hmm, wonder if this means BC is just less conservative when it comes to depicting male-on-male sex (and the drugs and language that are obviously also in the film) or if I'm going to be watching a watered-down, 'more appropriate' version of this. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:
?cpbc_image_get=&cpbc_image_api=%2Fapi%2

Parental GuidanceROCKETMAN

Alternate Title  
Distributor Paramount Pictures Entertainment Canada ULC
Distributor DBA  
Time 122 min
Format Digital Scope
Date Classified 2019-05-15
BC Copies 1
Classification Parental Guidance
Advisory coarse language; sexually suggestive scenes; drug use; violence
Saskatchewan Classification  Yes
Manitoba Classification Yes
Decision Summary

The following were determinative to the classification decision:

- Approximately 44 instances of coarse and/or sexual language;
- Two sexually suggestive scenes;
- Several scenes of drug use involving cocaine and/or pharmaceuticals;
- Three scenes of violence depicting physical assault and/or self-harm.

Classifiers also noted the following:

- Scene of nudity, depicting breasts, in a non-sexual context.

Hmm, wonder if this means BC is just less conservative when it comes to depicting male-on-male sex (and the drugs and language that are obviously also in the film) or if I'm going to be watching a watered-down, 'more appropriate' version of this. 

That's actually super confusing in the difference between that rating and the US'.

14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

That's actually super confusing in the difference between that rating and the US'.

I've only known 1 other R-rated movie to get a PG in British Columbia (Mortdecai), so I'm concerned that they cut some stuff out for the BC prints. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I've only known 1 other R-rated movie to get a PG in British Columbia (Mortdecai), so I'm concerned that they cut some stuff out for the BC prints. 

An American 'R' rating vs a 'PG' rating in BC does seem like a pretty significant difference. In Ontario, I find often enough that films rated 'R' in the US are only 14A here - and so Canada seems generally more relaxed with film ratings, I would say. But I don't think I've ever seen an 'R' in the US be only a PG here.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

Thinking mid 60s to low 70s for this on RT. I do think it won't be as mainstream and widespread as Bohemian was because of why it's R-Rated. Especially in the caveman areas bible belt and deep south regions of America.

It’s at 100% on RT (only 11 reviews) 

You already think it’ll fall right down to 60’s? 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

It’s at 100% on RT (only 11 reviews) 

You already think it’ll fall right down to 60’s? 

I've heard some other mixed things on twitter and we've seen it happen before with festivals (Pet Semetary).

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I've heard some other mixed things on twitter and we've seen it happen before with festivals (Pet Semetary).

Cannes isn't SXSW lol. Closing films in SXSW (Pet Semetary was the closing film this year) especially get better reactions during the event. I'm pretty sure Life got really good reactions in SXSW when it premiered there two years ago.