Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

Good god do I hate it when media or cast members or whoever say something like "it's for the fans" or "it's for audiences." I complain about dumb people in Trump's America, but it's a complete insult to moviegoers. It's like saying as long as you put pretty colors and a big brand on the big screen the lemmings will follow. 

The odds are pretty good that audiences will hate it nearly as much as critics. 

17 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Good god do I hate it when media or cast members or whoever say something like "it's for the fans" or "it's for audiences." I complain about dumb people in Trump's America, but it's a complete insult to moviegoers. It's like saying as long as you put pretty colors and a big brand on the big screen the lemmings will follow. 

It’s got an audience score of 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. Nice try though.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

My audience liked it this afternoon. Deal with it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nick64 said:

It’s got an audience score of 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. Nice try though.

Seriously...do you Venom fans know how to read? 

I couldn't give a shit if people like it. I'm just predicting that they won't. Also, those audience scores don't always translate in terms of box office. 

Edited by tonytr87

9 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Good for you. I don't care if people like it. I was bitching about something else. Learn reading comprehension. 

This is the Venom thread. If you were talking about a different movie, you should name it or you should be in a different thread. Learn writing comprehension.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This movie isn't good but it's not an abomination either. A really bad comic book movie is something like Batman & Robin and Superman 3 and 4. This is something that feels like it was made just to fill random Sunday afternoon timeslots on F/X.

You can't really compare it to those. Bad movies in the 80s and 90s were next level bad. These days you don't see anything like that, because pop culture evolves. For today's standards, Venom is pretty bad. It's not Adam Sandler Netflix movie bad, but it's close. 

Just now, tonytr87 said:

You can't really compare it to those. Bad movies in the 80s and 90s were next level bad. These days you don't see anything like that, because pop culture evolves. For today's standards, Venom is pretty bad. It's not Adam Sandler Netflix movie bad, but it's close. 

Eh, this movie was really lame but I had some fun with it (some of the scenes of Hardy and Venom interacting, oh man), unlike, say, The Predator (which wasn't a movie so much as the remains of a film that was obviously sliced and diced to death in post-production).

5 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Only being curious:

do you happen to own the Hulk DVD (not sure for the moment if it was Hulk or IHulk, haven't re-watched it for sometime)? At least on my version there are extras that include a clip with Avi Arad saying something like: those fanboys will be happy enough, no need for (more) effort. (And in a way no need for respect of source material,... too - not sure if that bit was the same clip)

He too works since some years for Sony (just in case it's not generally known: his involvement with Marvel is based on him being then the CEO and co-owner together with Isaac Perlmutter of ToyBiz - then owning Marvel for a time. I am happy both are not at Marvel Studios any-more for some years now.

A propo Trump, Perlmutter's wife Laura is a financial... supporter of him, she was even in Trump's Inauguration committee. I think there is a 'strange'/opposing combination of POVs at Disney behind the scene).

Haven't seen the movie yet, but one of my younger pupils did. He did like the movie, but he is more a fan of 'cool' than story, so idk how the BO will look like. I guess for October it will be very good.

15 minutes ago, kitik said:

This is the Venom thread. If you were talking about a different movie, you should name it or you should be in a different thread. Learn writing comprehension.

I think that is a bit uncalled for.

It was e.g. about how certain comments of movie making involved ppl show a strong disrespect of the general audience and / or fan audience. There are ppl involved with the Vernom movie who did state in the past openly such disrespect, plus maybe whatever actual comment tonytr87 might have meant, if t was a new one.

= possibility 1, he remembered the old comments per reading the name(s), or possibility 2, he read/heard something new/actual, or pos 3, a combination of 1 + 2 or.... = it is directly connected to Vernom too (and a lot of other genre movies)

Wide range of opinions here.  My audience actually f'ing clapped at this and there was some parts the theatre was cracking up at.  New theatre here, b/c I moved recently, so not sure the demographics, but it was packed and everyone seemed to like it.

I'm a little biased b/c Venom was one of prob my top 5 comic characters growing up, and at times prob my favorite.  I liked it a lot.  Like 8.5/10 or so.  I get the complaints but for me the thing they really got right was the development between Eddie and Venom.  I loved how they just kind of grew closer, and like a review I read, it became like a buddy comedy.  The banter was pretty solid, and I found myself just wanting to listen to their convos more and more - and laughed quite a few times.  Hardy can't do much wrong in my eyes.  I thought the CGI was solid enough.  When Venom fully came out and just starting f'ing stuff up - I found myself just smiling.  They captured his power and agility pretty well. Yeah I could pick apart some stuff, but I'm a happy camper.  

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie (and I don't even plan on seeing it, the trailers just didn't attract me), but wouldn't it be much more interesting if we had a movie about an alien parasite that actually ends up being controlled by the human? I mean, I would love a movie in which Venom thinks he'll control the human easily, but in the end Eddie Brock starts controlling him to get what he wants. I think that would be a much more original concept than the old, tired "human controlled by parasite" storyline.