Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Guys.......this movie was so fucking fun.

. People compare it to an early 2000s superhero movie, but honestly, the tone was more a late 80s/early 90s "action" movie that relied mostly on humor and self-parody, more akin to Lethal Weapon or Kindergarten Cop than anything.

I personally found it to be a poor man's Army of Darkness trapped inside the constrictive cocoon of a bottom-tier MCU (like Thor 2).

It's a goofy and silly movie about a boy and his pet symbiote, surrounded by generic and bland superhero plotting and motivations and the need to develop a new universe of films.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I personally found it to be Army of Darkness trapped inside the constrictive cocoon of a bottom-tier MCU (like Thor 2).

lol this movie wishes it was even 1/4th as clever as Army of Darkness.

Related image

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, aabattery said:

I'm not convinced that Ruben Fleischer was in on the joke but I don't think it would've been as funny if he was. The internal war between him trying to make a generic superhero movie and Hardy going all in on his shenanigans is what makes it work.

Ruben has said numerous l times this movie was going to be unexpectedly funny in a lot of ways. He’s called it a buddy action comedy with some horror elements. I posted a video earlier in this where the ScreenJunkies crew reference their interview with him. Here’s just one time he’s said something of that nature

“To me, he's this perfect balance of the most scary, intense, menacing figure, but he undercuts it with a sense of humor, these great lines in the comics, and he has that goofy tongue, so there's this unexpected lightness to something really dark, and that's what we tried to embrace with the film. We wanted to obviously make it dark and scary and a thriller, but also make it really entertaining, and fun for audiences. There's an unexpected, I think, amount of humor in the movie, and I am really proud of just having made something for fans, and just general audiences, to just go to the theater and enjoy.”

• Like 3

"WE can do whatever WE want" 🤣

Weird, two movies can come out not too far from each other, and be so similar...its as if someone worked on one film while spying on the other, and liked the idea and "borrowed" it 🙂.

Venom is UPGRADE, from earlier this year?! Instead of a computer chip talking to the guy in his head, and assisting him in giving beat downs to foes, it's the Symbiote!

Captain Marvel is appearing to be Man of Steel 🤣! The hero arrives first, followed by the enemies!

Anyway, Tom Hardy will have you in STITCHES, when he's struggling with the changes the Symbiote is doing to his mind and body 🤣🤣.

It didnt deserve the total thrashing it got from reviewers (#me too inspired, to help A Star is Born?), and I'm glad it still opened to 80M.

16 hours ago, aabattery said:

I'm not convinced that Ruben Fleischer was in on the joke but I don't think it would've been as funny if he was. The internal war between him trying to make a generic superhero movie and Hardy going all in on his shenanigans is what makes it work.

Hardy 100% went rogue on this one and he is an icon for doing so

This thing is like Thor 2 or something if a normal actor was playing the lead

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So you re saying Venom 2 should go full Ragnarok ?

no it'd ruin the joke. still a semi-serious attempt but the sequel escalation comes from

Spoiler

harrelson as carrot top venom being just as weird as hardy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I loved it way more than I thought I would! It was a fun ride type movie without taking itself too seriously, which helped its overall delivery! My screening was over 75% full and got repeat laughter from the majority of the crowd! Plus Tom Hardy was the perfect choice as the protagonist!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

Hardy 100% went rogue on this one and he is an icon for doing so

This thing is like Thor 2 or something if a normal actor was playing the lead

Hardy's said that he based his performance on Woody Allen's neurotic screen persona, which explains the hilarity and makes him an utter hero in my book.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

"WE can do whatever WE want" 🤣

Weird, two movies can come out not too far from each other, and be so similar...its as if someone worked on one film while spying on the other, and liked the idea and "borrowed" it 🙂.

Venom is UPGRADE, from earlier this year?! Instead of a computer chip talking to the guy in his head, and assisting him in giving beat downs to foes, it's the Symbiote!

Captain Marvel is appearing to be Man of Steel 🤣! The hero arrives first, followed by the enemies!

Anyway, Tom Hardy will have you in STITCHES, when he's struggling with the changes the Symbiote is doing to his mind and body 🤣🤣.

It didnt deserve the total thrashing it got from reviewers (#me too inspired, to help A Star is Born?), and I'm glad it still opened to 80M.

One of the most idiotic sentences ever uttered on this forum. Why does this forum suffer fools so gladly?

• Like 1