Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

In terms of recent films I watched both Barry Lyndon and Amadeus are pretty much perfect

Barry Lyndon's my favorite film from my favorite director. Although as usual with him it took me two or three viewings to get there. 

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's great but my favorite WWII movie is the coming home movie The Best Years Of Our Lives.

... You sure you aren't thinking of something else? OAHW has nothing to do with WWII. It was even made and released earlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Barry Lyndon's my favorite film from my favorite director. Although as usual with him it took me two or three viewings to get there. 

Not quite there as favorite film yet (still love The Shining) but it's definitely #2.  I'll definitely try to rewatch it in the future too.

• Like 1

I was glad to see Meet Dave in the top 10 on your list.  another great piece of filmmaking right there.

I PM'd my list to the panda man and he shut me down. shame there's such bias and we won't get a fair top 100 because of it!

6RQx4r8.png?1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

... You sure you aren't thinking of something else? OAHW has nothing to do with WWII. It was even made and released earlier.

I mixed it up with Twelve O'Clock High.  Not sure how or why....

Barry Lyndon, beautiful to look at but leaves me cold.  Not my favorite Thackery either though Vanity Fair his masterpiece wasn't nearly so well served.

For Kubrick, give with Dr Strange Love and Paths of Glory any day of the week.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Really?

Alrighty then.

While I wouldn't call it a perfect movie, it's certainly my favorite. For a long time I considered The Man From Earth my favorite. I decided to re-evaluate how I picked my "favorite". I asked myself, what movie have I seen the most? There were a few contenders as I don't keep track. Then I asked, of these, which do I still enjoy watching the most? Oddly enough, the final decision was Ace Ventura 2. Shocked me since that wasn't even on the radar before I started. The more I think about it, the happier I am with the choice.

Shikaka!

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I PM'd my list to the panda man and he shut me down. shame there's such bias and we won't get a fair top 100 because of it!

6RQx4r8.png?1

Damn and to think The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas had a chance at making the list

Edited by That One Guy

Damn and to think The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas had a chance at making the list

it's better than what i'm sure the final consensus picks will be. enjoy dark knight, empire and pulp fiction for another year losers!

Spoiler

1. Roman J. Israel, Esq

2. Sucker Punch

3. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

4. The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station

5. The Flintstones in Viva Las Vegas

6. Rover Dangerfield

7. Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

8. The Red Shoes

9. Meet Dave

10. Showgirls

11. Hollow Man

12. The Croods

13. Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit

14. The Glimmer Man

15. S.W.A.T.

16. Space Jam

17. Norbit

18. Meshes of the Afternoon

19. Austin Powers in Goldmember

20. The Recruit

21. Undercover Brother

22. The Devil's Advocate

23. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

24. Hot Shots Part Deux

25. Jingle All The Way

26. Black Orpheus

27. The 'Burbs

28. Street Fighter

29. Mortal Kombat

30. Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

31. Wild Hogs

32. Envy

33. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

34. Big Fat Liar

35. The Spirit

36. Basic Instinct

37. Rocky III

38. Bringing Down The House

39. Nights of Cabiria

40. Darkman

41. Open Season

42. Hall Pass

43. Fool's Gold

44. Spider-Man 3

45. Jupiter Ascending

46. Digimon The Movie

47. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

48. Un Chien Andalou

49. Revenge of the Sith

50. Napolean Dynamite

51. Trumbo

52. George of the Jungle

53. Blank Check

54. Michael Jackson's This Is It

55. Revenge of the Nerds

56. Beavis and Butthead Do America

57. The Seventh Seal

58. I Spy

59. Bicentennial Man

60. Captain Ron

61. Titan A.E.

62. S1m0ne

63. The Pagemaster

64. The Cowboy Way

65. Timecode

66. Coneheads

67. Spice World

68. Mulholland Drive

69. Half Baked

70. Lottery Ticket

71. Doug's First Movie

72. Takers

73. Muppets From Space

74. The Change-Up

75. Crank

76. Alien Ressurection

77. Dinner for Schmucks 

78. The 400 Blows

79. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

80. Sleepwalkers

81. How Do You Know

82. Aliens in the Attic

83. Cats and Dogs

84. The Lone Ranger

85. Like Mike

86. Looney Tunes Back In Action

87. Soul Plane

88. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

89. He's Just Not That Into You

90. Grumpier Old Men

91. Demolition Man

92. You Don't Mess With The Zohan

93. Dragnet

94. Joe Dirt

95. Transformers: The Movie

96. Your Highness

97. Fred Claus

98. Herbie: Fully Loaded

99. Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience

100. Captain America: Civil War

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Not quite there as favorite film yet (still love The Shining) but it's definitely #2.  I'll definitely try to rewatch it in the future too.

Yeah The Shining used to be my #1 too but BL is just so amazingly rich with... everything. And part of it is the years of being inundated with more dull conventional historical dramas but I couldn't really appreciate on first viewing how damn funny the first half is, for example, or how the narration is subtly full of shit. You could watch it a bunch of times and keep picking up all kinds of new details. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah The Shining used to be my #1 too but BL is just so amazingly rich with... everything. And part of it is the years of being inundated with more dull conventional historical dramas but I couldn't really appreciate on first viewing how damn funny the first half is, for example, or how the narration is subtly full of shit. You could watch it a bunch of times and keep picking up all kinds of new details. 

Tom Jones is much more fun, so is the novel.

8 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

That huge drop both Os and DOM omg. I’m joining IronJimbo to become a little cameronster. Forget marvel.  If this doesn’t reach 2 billion WW it’s embarassing. 10 years of build up. 

The new raegr?

65774-Will-Smith-hmmm-gif-mNiZ.gif

44 minutes ago, aabattery said:

If we're doing perfect movies, 12 Angry Men is the one. Not exactly a spicy take but c'mon it's so good.

That's such an amazing movie. I watched it again a couple years ago. Still terrific.

Edit - Argh. Just realized I didn't include a single Kurosawa film on my top 100. I knew I hated that list. Did it way too fast.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

Speaking of Kurosawa I watched Stray Dog a few days ago and that's fantastic. Maybe the original buddy cop movie, among many other things. Still haven't seen some of his big ones but I can see him ending up one of my very favorite directors.

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Speaking of Kurosawa I watched Stray Dog a few days ago and that's fantastic. Maybe the original buddy cop movie, among many other things. Still haven't seen some of his big ones but I can see him ending up one of my very favorite directors.

you seen Ran? that's my very favourite from him.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

you seen Ran? that's my very favourite from him.

Nope. Exactly six movies in so far (Rashomon, Red Beard, Throne of Blood, Drunken Angel, Stray Dog, High and Low). Kind of embarrassing but anyway, his highs I've seen are so phenomenal (particularly the last two listed) they give me a very good feeling looking ahead.

• Like 1