kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

3 hours ago, Sindreee said:

116 times is 'only' reaching the Guinness Record, not surpassing it and as such not record breaking.... yet 😉

For now Steve Ruppel is still the record holder (he holds more than one record). Btw, with another MCU title, Captain Marvel, hence way I even know this.

I stumbled in ~mid of April over that titbit, then it was 116 times too, not sure if he added to that, some sources said he'll add to that. Old record was 104 times.

Nuts, all nuts. Meant in the nicest way possible  ;)(I very seldom watch repeatedly, but even I have a few titles I went nuts over enough for some repeat visits)

Past summer mega-blockbuster expansion theater counts:

Incredibles 2: +1830 (2890 total)

Finding Dory: +1730 (2075 total)

Inside Out: +2204 (2967 total)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: +948 (1556 total)

Wonder Woman: +1407 (2210 total)

Jurassic World: +997 over two weekends (1571 total)

The Avengers: +1585 (1705 total)

Kids movies seem to get larger expansions, probably to take advantage while schools are out. Given that, I'd expect roughly 2000 theaters for EG next weekend give or take.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PKMLover said:

I still don't like that it is just a after credit scence  to promote FFH. Not any additional footage, extended cut for the movie. It will not have the strong effect. Disney maybe don't put all of their effort to  the WW record, they just want to boost FFH.  And it is not sure if this is worldwide or just US.

you do know that spiderman is sony and not disney right ?  why they would push a movie thats not their own ? lol , thats cleary a  push for ww1

59 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

Past summer mega-blockbuster expansion theater counts:

Incredibles 2: +1830 (2890 total)

Finding Dory: +1730 (2075 total)

Inside Out: +2204 (2967 total)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: +948 (1556 total)

Wonder Woman: +1407 (2210 total)

Jurassic World: +997 over two weekends (1571 total)

The Avengers: +1585 (1705 total)

Kids movies seem to get larger expansions, probably to take advantage while schools are out. Given that, I'd expect roughly 2000 theaters for EG next weekend give or take.

These were all Labour day weekend expansions though. 

This is something else entirely. Marvel seems to be pumping this release in hopes of also giving FFH some traction. 

My big wonder is whether or not it's going to get PLF screens, because that is likely what the fans will opt for seeing it in, and can make a huge difference to the bottom line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, john2000 said:

you do know that spiderman is sony and not disney right ?  why they would push a movie thats not their own ? lol , thats cleary a  push for ww1

Disney absolutely has reason to want to give a push to a film within it's MCU, which also apparently sets up Phase 4 spectacularly. 

The more anticipation built now for phase 4, the better it is for Disney next year. 

Let's not pretend like the Sony/Spidey deal only benefits one party. If that was so, Disney would have never made the deal. They aren't in desperate need to make deals that don't benefit them.  

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Disney absolutely has reason to want to give a push to a film within it's MCU, which also apparently sets up Phase 4 spectacularly. 

The more anticipation built now for phase 4, the better it is for Disney next year. 

Let's not pretend like the Sony/Spidey deal only benefits one party. If that was so, Disney would have never made the deal. They aren't in desperate need to make deals that don't benefit them.  

of course my point was, that the reason is also to push endgame

13 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

These were all Labour day weekend expansions though. 

This is something else entirely. Marvel seems to be pumping this release in hopes of also giving FFH some traction. 

My big wonder is whether or not it's going to get PLF screens, because that is likely what the fans will opt for seeing it in, and can make a huge difference to the bottom line. 

Yes this situation is a bit of uncharted waters, but I still wouldn't expect 3000 theaters as even wide re-releases that made substantial amounts of money like Lion King (2330 theaters) and Titanic (2674 theaters) didn't get that many.

As for PLF's, the most prudent business decision for theater owners as well as Disney would be to keep Toy Story 4 on the PLFs. Even in it's second weekend TS4 is still going to be massively out-grossing everything else on the market so they simply make more money that way. So while it's not impossible for EG to get some PLF screens, I would say it's rather unlikely or they will be few and far between.

• Founder / Operator
20 hours ago, Nero said:

@Shawn what's your opinion on this?

Logically: I think it depends on how many theaters Disney gets it into worldwide, and what the cost of those tickets will be (is it IMAX and PLF only or standard screens too?) Those kinds of unknowns.

My gut: History is replete with seemingly miraculous box office jumps to help certain movies get past a benchmark. For Transformers 4, it was to get $100M opening. For Transformers 2, it was to get $200M five-day open with help of Puerto Rico. For Superman Returns, it was the long crawl to $200M domestic total... and so on.

On top of that, and from less of a conspiracy theorist POV, studios have been known to withhold reporting certain shares of grosses during early runs of films and spread them out over time (most recent examples include fan events and sneak preview grosses).

And on top of *that*, studios can relatively easily double book or otherwise shift around sales in the good ol' Hollywood accounting style of box office reporting. It's no coincidence an Endgame expansion is being timed for Toy Story 4's second week globally, right before a major domestic holiday week, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

And on top of *that*, studios can relatively easily double book or otherwise shift around sales in the good ol' Hollywood accounting style of box office reporting. It's no coincidence an Endgame expansion is being timed for Toy Story 4's second week globally, right before a major domestic holiday week, IMO.

What are you saying, here? Hollywood accounting is one thing, but box office receipts, I thought, were harder to fake. Are you saying in the chaos of Toy Story 4, Disney might slide a little money Endgame's way?

$20M isn't really like those other stories you mentioned, Superman Returns only needed $2M when the drops started to look fishy. Then again, getting WW #1 is worth a lot of money in headlines and good will. Unless everyone sees the con happen... then it's just going to generate a lot of animosity (I personally don't care, but I bet JC wouldn't appreciate Disney doing something so obvious and humiliating).

EDIT: I do agree with your gut on a certain level... with the re-release and """new footage""". I think whether Avatar goes down at this point is in Disney's hands, not the GA.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I do agree with your gut on a certain level... with the re-release and """new footage""". I think whether Avatar goes down at this point is in Disney's hands, not the GA

In Short, you are saying~ Disney will fudge in a roundabout way, even before you see the results of upcoming re-release?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shanks said:

In Short, you are saying~ Disney will fudge in a roundabout way, even before you see the results of upcoming re-release?

I think that’s what @Shawn was implying, and it’s my gut feeling as well. The re-release provides perfect, uhm, cover. I’m not saying Disney will do anything untoward, but let’s just say the fudge factory received a big shipment of ingredients.

jurassic park life finds a way GIF

• Like 2