The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Just now, MrPink said:

Shit tbh, I've been rewatching Inception in recent months/year or two, and it's now probably a #3 or #4 Nolan film for me. Exposition not bothering me anymore

Trying to cover your tracks I see, but your 8/10 remains in the review thread forever

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Trying to cover your tracks I see, but your 8/10 remains in the review thread forever

:sparta:

I went through most of his filmography pretty recently, and while it's not his most elegant script, the ideas are grand, the direction is wonderful, and the constant buildup once they enter the dream makes it one of my most memorable blockbusters. 

Funnily enough I do tend to be honest in those review threads, but I never get credit for that honesty. :whosad:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

casablanca-53ede106a0c83.jpg

Number 23

Casablanca (1942)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Michael Curtiz (103 Points, 20 Votes)

14a1b1524f9d1884891782dd4828182a.jpg

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Number 1 Placements: 2

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 5

Top 25 Placements: 11

Previous Rankings: 2016 (15, -8), 2014 (22, -1), 2013 (14, -9), 2012 (33, +10)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 97% (9.3 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 4.1m

Synopsis: A cynical nightclub owner protects an old flame and her husband from Nazis in Morocco.

Critic Opinion: "Casablanca is a sharply political movie, displaying overt admiration for anti-fascist activists and sympathy for refugees while subtly probing the corrosiveness of appeasement.  In the decades following World War II, the 1944 Academy Award winner — Best Picture, Director (Michael Curtiz), and Adapted Screenplay (by Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein, and Howard Koch) — has been viewed as a glamorous love story, a quotable relic of Hollywood’s heyday, and a gateway drug for classic-film addicts. But against the current rise of nationalism and xenophobia, the political climate that generations have taken as a backdrop for the romance of Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) and Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) crashes to the forefront.

Casablanca was filmed in the safety of the Warner Bros. lot, but the cast of immigrants and exiles who had fled the Third Reich conveyed their visceral fear. While the future was uncertain, the resolute characters of this exquisite wartime drama found peace through love and resistance." - Serena Donadinni

User Opinions: "Finally managed to watch a film I was scared to watch for so long (as it's possibly the only black and white film (from the pre colour era) that ever looked like it would stand up as a film to a modern viewer (aka me) and I'd have been damn depressed to be bored to tears by it.

Anyhow, yeah it is quite possibly the best film ever made. It's not my favourite, I may never watch it again, but for its time (hell even if you include the next 20 -30 years of cinema) it was lightyears ahead of what anybody was making. It feels like you are experiencing cinematic perfection as you watch it and Bogart, Bergman and co just never put a foot wrong.

And to enjoy a film that much when you already know the final scene word for word... that's pretty astounding."  - @chasmmi

"Perfection."  - @darkelf

Commentary: Another all-time classic comes to our list, and while I could say that it's a quintessential romance and all that jazz, but there's actually much more going on in Casablanca politically that we're blind to due to how we view the politics of entering World War 2 in hindsight.  When this film came out, the U.S. had just entered WW2, we weren't really winning, and there were still a large portion of the U.S. population who wasn't for getting into the war.  So much of the evils of fascism and nazism people were still turning a blind eye to, and there was a real threat that engaging in the battle, making a choice, could cost an individual more close to home than simply being a bystander.  Casablanca was then a film with a message that was unpopular to many citizens at the time, about having to make a choice, and displaying a fight against the ultra-nationalist states was the only right one.  Casablanca made 33% of the lists submitted and it had a high average score of 5.15 by those users, indicating it was well into their top 25.

Decade Count: 90s (18), '00s (13), 10s (13), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (61), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (8), 300m (7), 200m (12), 100m (14), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Steven Spielberg (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (11), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), Steven Spielberg (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1)

Genre Count: Drama (29), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (22), Thriller (20), Fantasy (19), Sci-Fi (19), Epic (18), Comedy (17), Action (16), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (13), Romance (13), Novel Adaption (12), Crime/Noir (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Indie (11), Tragedy (9), Horror (9), War (9), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

tumblr_niig1ogDt91qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

• Like 14
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Two more films for tonight, one is a franchise film and one that saw a significant improvement from 2016

giphy.gif

Lebowski and SPR are the only two options

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Astonished 1

I've figured out what the two jumpers are.

There are 22 movies to go.

There are 21 movies from the upper half of 2016's list that have yet to appear, and we know one of them isn't making it. That leaves space for two movies from the lower half of 2016's list to appear.

Out of all the movies from the bottom half of 2016's list, the only four that make sense are The Big Lebowski, Saving Private Ryan, Ratatouille, and Batman Begins. Out of these four, SPR is the likeliest to make it as it's been discussed in many Spielberg rankings lately. Between the remaining three, I'd give the edge to Lebowski. Although it missed in 2014, the highest it's been in the past is 41, which is higher than Batman Begins ever reached at 44 in the same year. Both movies never managed to hit those numbers again, though BB was 51 once and 61 twice. Ratatouille has a similar situation: 51 twice and 52 and 62 once. Additionally, it needs to leapfrog over 8 animated movies from the 2016 list, and two of them (IO and Lion King) haven't even shown up yet. WALL-E was ahead of it last time yet dropped over 30 spots, so that doesn't bode well for Ratatouille. It's not impossible but unlikely. Given that we've been pretty adverse to superhero movies this go around, I don't see BB making it. The Dude will abide.

For the missing movie, I'll take a stab in the dark and say it's The Matrix. Nothing else in the upper half missing makes much sense outside of maaaaaaybe Terminator 2, but James Cameron has been on a big increase spree this go around. I'll lol hard if it's 12 Angry Men tho

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

47 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

casablanca-53ede106a0c83.jpg

Number 23

Casablanca (1942)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Michael Curtiz (103 Points, 20 Votes)

14a1b1524f9d1884891782dd4828182a.jpg

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Number 1 Placements: 2

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 5

Top 25 Placements: 11

Previous Rankings: 2016 (15, -8), 2014 (22, -1), 2013 (14, -9), 2012 (33, +10)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 97% (9.3 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 4.1m

Synopsis: A cynical nightclub owner protects an old flame and her husband from Nazis in Morocco.

Critic Opinion: "Casablanca is a sharply political movie, displaying overt admiration for anti-fascist activists and sympathy for refugees while subtly probing the corrosiveness of appeasement.  In the decades following World War II, the 1944 Academy Award winner — Best Picture, Director (Michael Curtiz), and Adapted Screenplay (by Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein, and Howard Koch) — has been viewed as a glamorous love story, a quotable relic of Hollywood’s heyday, and a gateway drug for classic-film addicts. But against the current rise of nationalism and xenophobia, the political climate that generations have taken as a backdrop for the romance of Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) and Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) crashes to the forefront.

Casablanca was filmed in the safety of the Warner Bros. lot, but the cast of immigrants and exiles who had fled the Third Reich conveyed their visceral fear. While the future was uncertain, the resolute characters of this exquisite wartime drama found peace through love and resistance." - Serena Donadinni

User Opinions: "Finally managed to watch a film I was scared to watch for so long (as it's possibly the only black and white film (from the pre colour era) that ever looked like it would stand up as a film to a modern viewer (aka me) and I'd have been damn depressed to be bored to tears by it.

Anyhow, yeah it is quite possibly the best film ever made. It's not my favourite, I may never watch it again, but for its time (hell even if you include the next 20 -30 years of cinema) it was lightyears ahead of what anybody was making. It feels like you are experiencing cinematic perfection as you watch it and Bogart, Bergman and co just never put a foot wrong.

And to enjoy a film that much when you already know the final scene word for word... that's pretty astounding."  - @chasmmi

"Perfection."  - @darkelf

Commentary: Another all-time classic comes to our list, and while I could say that it's a quintessential romance and all that jazz, but there's actually much more going on in Casablanca politically that we're blind to due to how we view the politics of entering World War 2 in hindsight.  When this film came out, the U.S. had just entered WW2, we weren't really winning, and there were still a large portion of the U.S. population who wasn't for getting into the war.  So much of the evils of fascism and nazism people were still turning a blind eye to, and there was a real threat that engaging in the battle, making a choice, could cost an individual more close to home than simply being a bystander.  Casablanca was then a film with a message that was unpopular to many citizens at the time, about having to make a choice, and displaying a fight against the ultra-nationalist states was the only right one.  Casablanca made 33% of the lists submitted and it had a high average score of 5.15 by those users, indicating it was well into their top 25.

Decade Count: 90s (18), '00s (13), 10s (13), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (8), 300m (7), 200m (12), 100m (14), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Steven Spielberg (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (11), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), Steven Spielberg (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1)

Genre Count: Drama (29), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (22), Thriller (20), Fantasy (19), Sci-Fi (19), Epic (18), Comedy (17), Action (16), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (13), Romance (13), Novel Adaption (12), Crime/Noir (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Indie (11), Tragedy (9), Horror (9), War (9), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

tumblr_niig1ogDt91qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

This was actually the 1st film that pulled me into watching classics (now, I'm not talking the Disney and Xmas ones I watched as a kid, but honest-to-God classics).  My spouse realized I'd never really watched any classic films, and he started with Gone with the Wind (an utter fail) and then moved to Casablanca...and that's when I understood how great some of these movies could be:).  I've spent the subsequent years trying to watch at least 5-10 new-to-me classic movies/year...

• Like 5

SPR-Banner-saving-private-ryan-1665608-8

Number 22

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Paramount Pictures, Directed by Steven Spielberg (103 Points, 23 Votes)

saving_private_ryan__special_commission_

"James, earn this... earn it."

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 10

Previous Rankings: 2016 (83, +61), 2014 (49, +27), 2013 (67, +45), 2012 (29, +7)

Awards Count: Won 5 Oscars, Nominated by Best Picture

Tomatometer: 92% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 216.5m (419m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Following the Normandy Landings, a group of U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.

Critic Opinion: "Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece. It cements Steven Spielberg’s reputation as one of the seminal filmmakers of the era. It tells a gallant story of honor and duty and courage under fire. It shows you things about war that have never been seen on a motion picture screen. It makes you proud to be an American without a lot of phony, sentimental, patriotic flag-waving. And it revives my faith in the potential greatness of movies. And now, having said enough to raise eyebrows, let the controversy begin.

Some people will not want to see this powerful and electrifying film because of the violence. (These are the same people who liked Pulp Fiction .) Well, I cannot lie. Saving Private Ryan is violent. War is violent. But one of the many strengths of this phenomenal film that separates it from the usual “Bang, bang, you’re dead!” stuff is the way it not only examines the nature of violence, but redefines the whole concept. You watch the most inhuman aggressions and understand why they were necessary for self-defense. Mr. Spielberg goes beyond the war movie genre; he brings you the war itself."  - Rex Reed

User Opinions: "I can't really say anything about this movie that plenty of people haven't already in the last 15 years (woah, that long?!). Excluding Lincoln--which ranks very closely for me--this is my favorite Spielberg movie since Last Crusade."  - @Shawn

"Absolutely spectacular. The directing is just superb. No words to describe it. This is why Spielberg is the best of all time." - @Omario

"It's great, obviously. Has some of the best sequences Spielberg has ever directed." - @Jack Nevada

Commentary: Saving Private Ryan bullets up the list to a higher spot than it ever has before, making a vast jump from the 83rd rank it was placed at two years ago.  Steven Spielberg is a brilliant director, who has never made a film (beyond maybe Hook) that wasn't even worth seeing.  Saving Private Ryan is perhaps one of Spielberg's least sentimental works (in parts) and yet it still manages to be deeply moving and affecting.  The film is packed with riveting action sequences, that take you dead into the heat of war in a way that few films have ever managed to rival (yet many have attempted).  Saving Private Ryan made it onto 38% of the lists that were submitted and had an average score of 4.7 from those who voted for it.

Decade Count: 90s (19), '00s (13), 10s (13), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (9), 300m (7), 200m (12), 100m (14), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Steven Spielberg (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (11), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Steven Spielberg (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1)

Genre Count: Drama (30), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (22), Thriller (20), Fantasy (19), Sci-Fi (19), Epic (19), Comedy (17), Action (17), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (14), Romance (13), Novel Adaption (12), Crime/Noir (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Indie (11), War (10), Tragedy (10), Horror (9), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

PrivateRyan001122-580x250.jpg

• Like 18
  • ...wtf 1

Casablanca was one of the film that really helped "forge" my love for cinema. It basically encapsulates everything I love about older black and white movies, and more. I've seen it so many times now, and it never gets "old". 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 5