The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

So today we learned that touching a woman is the way to a deeper understanding and appreciation of Titanic. 

Yo JCS, how about touching a guy if one is gay? Or are all gays incapable of truly understanding Titanic on account of their flaming sexuality?

So you think that a person that has been in love can appreciate Titanic more is a ridiculous claim?? Lmaooo

Also If I recall JCS is gay himself so it is silly to tell that on him...

Edited by FantasticBeasts

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No it is the contrary to ridiculous, it is very true. The movie is a hymn to deep,unconditional love. How can you expect people that haven't experienced real love in their lifes to be touched by that movie?

Unless I am reading something wrong, he didn't say that everyone that does not like Titanic is a hopeless virgin. What he did say is that Titanic gets too much shit online because the online crowd is fueled by male teens that either cannot connect with the movie for the reasons stated above or are even too afraid to let themselves get touched. Toxic masculinity is very prominent in the web.

I haven't experienced a deep, unconditional love and yet I think Titanic is amazing and I would place it in my top 100 list.

This is the worst kind of film commentary and is utterly bullshit. Some people, regardless of whether they experienced a deep love or not, just don't like Titanic. Stop trying to make it seem like something is wrong with them just because they didn't like a movie.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I haven't experienced a deep, unconditional love and yet I think Titanic is amazing and I would place it in my top 100 list.

This is the worst kind of film commentary and is utterly bullshit. Some people, regardless of whether they experienced a deep love or not, just don't like Titanic. Stop trying to make it seem like something is wrong with them just because they didn't like a movie.

I just can't see your logic guys...

No one said that you are forced to like Titanic If you have experienced love.

But it is increasingly possible for a movie with such a theme to receive poor reactions in an enviroment full of people that have never felt true love.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

This is the worst kind of film commentary and is utterly bullshit.

Good to know a person that can't spell the word derogatory is the arbiter of what opinions we're allowed to hold. :whosad:

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

But it is increasingly possible for a movie with such a theme to receive poor reactions in an enviroment full of people that have never felt true love.

I feel like you're the only person who actually read what I originally wrote in this thread FB. I appreciate that. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Then the movie doesn't belong on this list. If you really can't appreciate Titanic without having felt love, it is not a good movie. That's what you are arguing.

A great romance will make you feel the love even if you haven't experienced love in real life. You are arguing Titanic doesn't accomplish that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe this is missing from all your lists b/c you haven't had the chance to experience both young and undying love.  If you did, there's no way this movie wouldn't affect you to the bone.  I mean, throw out the technical mastery, the amazing special effects, the spot-on historical references, the supporting cast...what makes this more than a cold, unfeeling technical masterpiece (which so many movies are now) and makes this the best movie ever made is the complete, total understanding and commitment to showing true love onscreen and letting the audience actually feel it 100%, and not running away from it.  True love is action, not feeling, and as you watch the last 1/2 of that movie and see what the 2 are willing to do to be with each other and then to do what the other asks when they can't be together anymore, even under that loss...I mean, I started crying about 15 minutes from the end, got worse as they showed how Rose kept her last promise, and then the staircase scene...best ending scene ever done in a movie...

I cried for lord knows how long after the movie...I cried so much (probably an hour+), it scared my current boyfriend (who is now my wonderful spouse), b/c he couldn't even tell if I liked it or not...and he even started crying as I blubberingly explained what got to me...

I have never cried more than a minute or two in any movie before or after...but that movie was it...for me, masterpieces make you think and they make you feel...and oh boy, I was affected for months by this one...and anytime it's on, I watch it again and think how right Cameron got this movie...it's timeless, and the best movies have to be...

Literally this post receives 9 likes and when JCS says the same thing 1 hour ago he receives shit?!!

Anyway let's move on right...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Then the movie doesn't belong on this list. If you really can't appreciate Titanic without having felt love, it is not a good movie. That's what you are arguing.

A great romance will make you feel the love even if you haven't experienced love in real life. You are arguing Titanic doesn't accomplish that.

Literally I denied what you said in the first sentence in my last post. We cannot have a dialogue when one of us doesn't listen to the other..

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Literally this post receives 9 likes and when JCS says the same thing 1 hour ago he receives shit?!!

Anyway let's move on right...

...There does seem to be a significant difference between the two.

13 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No it is the contrary to ridiculous, it is very true. The movie is a hymn to deep,unconditional love. How can you expect people that haven't experienced real love in their lifes to be touched by that movie?

Unless I am reading something wrong, he didn't say that everyone that does not like Titanic is a hopeless virgin. What he did say is that Titanic gets too much shit online because the online crowd is fueled by male teens that either cannot connect with the movie for the reasons stated above or are even too afraid to let themselves get touched. Toxic masculinity is very prominent in the web.

Well based on that definition, Titanic means nothing to me. That’s ridiculous. 

I will say, it's amazing that we had Titanic and Star Wars posted back to back...and it's been all Titanic, all the time:).  I actually had Star Wars also in my Top 50 (and I think Top 25, but I'd have to check), and not b/c that movie was a technical masterpiece.  Instead, that was sci-fi/fantasy's version of LOTR...the unassuming meaningless little guy gets aided by "a fellowship" on his path to saving the entire galaxy with one single act (but not before experiencing tons of danger and death of friends along the way).  And even though I see this comparison...I don't really care, b/c it was so immersive...it so drew you into the world...you just accepted the force, the light side, the dark side, the jedi, etc.  It was its own universe and its own phenomenon.  And it's become a movie better than it really is b/c it has that cultural resonance.  It's the classic case of the whole being WAY, way better than the sum of its parts.  Again, I think many current movies have the reverse problem...all these amazing parts that somehow just can't seem to deliver a better whole movie...    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

So you think that a person that has been in love can appreciate Titanic more is a ridiculous claim?? Lmaooo

Also If I recall JCS is gay himself so it is silly to tell that on him...

To be fair, as someone in a relationship. I have watched the titanic again since I have been in a relationship and 4 years ago. I don't think it made it better or that it does a good job at describing what real love is and does with you. But thats just my opinion.

• Like 1