The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I think Infinity War might be the most impressive box office run to date!

Really crazy at just how terrible Avatar apparently was, yet still nothing can beat it (and barely anything can even make 0.5A). :redcapes:

• Haha 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Really crazy at just how terrible Avatar apparently was, yet still nothing can beat it (and barely anything can even make 0.5A). :redcapes:

Can't wait for them to line up to see Avatar 2 just so they tell us how bad it was

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Lol Avatar's special effects have yet to be topped and it's unlikely in the near future...

What the VFX of avatar has been out-dated for a long time. It hasn't aged well at all. Titanic that is an other story.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Auteur Panda said:

banner-886.jpg

Number 8

Titanic (1997)

Paramount Pictures, Directed by James Cameron (139 Points, 22 Votes)

james+flames+titanic+poster.jpg

"I'm the king of the world!"

Number 1 Placements: 4

Top 5 Placements: 8

Top 10 Placements: 12

Top 25 Placements: 15

Previous Rankings: 2016 (28, +20), 2014 (59, +41), 2013 (26, +18), 2012 (5, -3)

Awards Count: Won 11 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 88% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 600.8m (1.18b Adjusted)

Synopsis: A seventeen-year-old aristocrat falls in love with a kind but poor artist aboard the luxurious, ill-fated R.M.S. Titanic.

Critic Opinion: "Take one of history's most compelling tragedies, tell it through the lives of two engaging young lovers and show it with some of the best-ever special effects and you have a dazzling, exciting movie that is also poignant and personal.  The story of "Titanic" is so good that if written as fiction, it would be dismissed as preposterous.  The last half of this movie, with the ship sinking, is worth the price of admission. And the scenes in which the ship breaks and the stern plummets into the water are breathtaking.

She meets that someone on Titanic: Jack, a drifting artist who lives life to its fullest. He wins his third-class ticket in a poker game. The chemistry between the two is undeniable, and she eventually throws over Hockley, who tries his best to wreck the young love.  This love story is melodramatic, but what young love isn't?" - Joe Holleman

User Opinions: "Masterpiece."  - @That One Guy

"The best film of 1997 and incredibly, as good as this is, it's only Cameron's third best film."  - @baumer

"Titanic is EVERYTHING. Some may say whatever they want on it, but the fact the movie manages to capture the audience enough to actually care about it(regardles if that's a positive or a negative opinion on the film itself) after fricking 17 years must tell sth. I myself can't help but watch it every time it airs on tv even though i saw it soooo many times before that i somewhat learned most of the lines by heart. There is just sth about Titanic that transcends and keeps the audience engaged.
Truly one of the best examples of modern cinema hands down."  - @Ajde

Commentary: James Cameron comes onto our list one last time with his 90s historical epic, placing the highest it's been since 2012, Titanic.  Titanic is Cameron blending a melodramatic tragic romance in the midst of spectacle of a real historical disaster at the end, and the entire thing manages to work as one sweeping film.  The movie obviously moved audiences, as it had unstoppable legs and kept people coming back for seconds, thirds, fourths and fifths.  This is also the movie that really launched Leonardo DiCaprio's career, while also being the peak of it Box Office wise (which is insane given how impressive his track record at the box office is).  The movie had the least amount of votes of any movie in the top 10, with it appearing on 36% of the lists submitted but it had the highest average score of any movie on the list at 6.3, meaning the mean score of placements was right above the top 15 mark.

Decade Count: 90s (27), 10s (15), '00s (14), 80s (13), 70s (10), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (73), 80%-90% (14), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (4), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (4), 600m (2), 500m (4), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Francis Ford Copolla (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (15), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), The Godfather (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1), Middle Earth (1)

Genre Count: Drama (37), Adventure (31), VFX Driven (30), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (24), Fantasy (22), Epic (22), Comedy (21), Action (20), Novel Adaption (19), Period Piece (19), Family/Children (17), Romance (16), Crime/Noir (15), Sequel (14), Animation (13), Horror (12), War (12), Tragedy (12), Indie (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (5), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

tumblr_lz6iczvGWQ1r5i7tyo1_1280.png

Maybe this is missing from all your lists b/c you haven't had the chance to experience both young and undying love.  If you did, there's no way this movie wouldn't affect you to the bone.  I mean, throw out the technical mastery, the amazing special effects, the spot-on historical references, the supporting cast...what makes this more than a cold, unfeeling technical masterpiece (which so many movies are now) and makes this the best movie ever made is the complete, total understanding and commitment to showing true love onscreen and letting the audience actually feel it 100%, and not running away from it.  True love is action, not feeling, and as you watch the last 1/2 of that movie and see what the 2 are willing to do to be with each other and then to do what the other asks when they can't be together anymore, even under that loss...I mean, I started crying about 15 minutes from the end, got worse as they showed how Rose kept her last promise, and then the staircase scene...best ending scene ever done in a movie...

I cried for lord knows how long after the movie...I cried so much (probably an hour+), it scared my current boyfriend (who is now my wonderful spouse), b/c he couldn't even tell if I liked it or not...and he even started crying as I blubberingly explained what got to me...

I have never cried more than a minute or two in any movie before or after...but that movie was it...for me, masterpieces make you think and they make you feel...and oh boy, I was affected for months by this one...and anytime it's on, I watch it again and think how right Cameron got this movie...it's timeless, and the best movies have to be...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe this is missing from all your lists b/c you haven't had the chance to experience both young and undying love.  If you did, there's no way this movie wouldn't affect you to the bone.  I mean, throw out the technical mastery, the amazing special effects, the spot-on historical references, the supporting cast...what makes this more than a cold, unfeeling technical masterpiece (which so many movies are now) and makes this the best movie ever made is the complete, total understanding and commitment to showing true love onscreen and letting the audience actually feel it 100%, and not running away from it.  True love is action, not feeling, and as you watch the last 1/2 of that movie and see what the 2 are willing to do to be with each other and then to do what the other asks when they can't be together anymore, even under that loss...I mean, I started crying about 15 minutes from the end, got worse as they showed how Rose kept her last promise, and then the staircase scene...best ending scene ever done in a movie...

I cried for lord knows how long after the movie...I cried so much (probably an hour+), it scared my current boyfriend (who is now my wonderful spouse), b/c he couldn't even tell if I liked it or not...and he even started crying as I blubberingly explain what got to me...

I have never cried more than a minute or two in any movie before or after...but that movie was it...for me, masterpieces make you think and they make you feel...and oh boy, I was affected for months by this one...and anytime it's on, I watch it again and think how right Cameron got this movie...it's timeless, and the best movies have to be...

Great analysis here, really touches on just how deep JC can make a movie resonate with people. 

• Like 3

I haven’t seen Titanic in a few years, but it never fails to make me cry. Had it at 7 so 1 down is fine with me. I saw it for the first time when I was 6 or 7 and I remember crying while sitting in front of the TV screen. Doubt I really understood much of what was going on, but it’s a movie that hits you, young or old. 

I didn't have The Godfather on my list and I was only able to finally finish watching the 2nd half a a week ago. It’s so long! And the sequel is even longer! It might take me 3 days to watch that one. .. The last 15 or so minutes were brilliant though.

Rewatched LOTR trilogy last week and I’m glad they’re high on the list, though only ROTK made my top 15, with the other 2 lower on my list. It’s ROTK > FOTR > TTT. I remember having such a huge crush on Viggo Mortensen because of these movies and didn’t understand why anyone cared about Orlando Bloom. Long movies, but you don’t feel it. 

Also, rewatched Avatar last week and it was long. The first act with all the human stuff was no good. The 2nd act with the Navi was brilliant. 3rd act was mixed. Visually, it’s still great though. Overall, it was okay. And it might’ve been the lack of 3D that affected it’s quality to me, because I saw it twice in theaters, and remember loving it so much I dragged my family to see it with me. My sister, 7 at the time, hated it though and refuses to rewatch it.

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

LOTR is always destroying the Top Tens of these ... sigh ... it was shot as one film, it was written as one book, just saying folks.

And it was released as 3 books and 3 movies.  The movies were released at different times and won awards in 3 different ceremonies and people rank the 3 movies differently.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

LOTR is always destroying the Top Tens of these ... sigh ... it was shot as one film, it was written as one book, just saying folks.

What do you want us to do?

I saw quite a few top 100's with only 1 of the LOTR in their lists. And definitely not the same, all 3 are loved to different degree by different people.

There isn't much to do. They are 3 different movies officially.

Love love Titanic.

Also excellent write-up for Star Wars: A New Hope @baumer. Star Wars was basically one of THE films / franchies that cemented my love for movies. Seeing it as a young kid made a huge impression on me. It's one of those films that I can watch again and again, and I'm still constantly wowed by it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

I haven’t seen Titanic in a few years, but it never fails to make me cry. Had it at 7 so 1 down is fine with me. 

Even Jim cries at the end of the movie on the commentary track. 

I think part of the reason that we often see Titanic so underrepresented in online culture is because of the male dominance. 

A lot of the teen/early twenties males online may have never even touched a woman, never mind felt a deep emotional love that can stretch across vast distances and really stays with you for the rest of your life. For them watching a man dance around in spandex fighting a man dressed as a clown, or some other spandex clad hyper-gonadal male fight another is far closer to their everyday reality/fantasy than the love we see in Titanic does, and perhaps ever will. 

In a way those of us that can truly appreciate Titanic should pity those that lack that same capacity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I cried for lord knows how long after the movie...I cried so much (probably an hour+), it scared my current boyfriend (who is now my wonderful spouse), b/c he couldn't even tell if I liked it or not...and he even started crying as I blubberingly explain what got to me...

Wonderful post Two Misfits! I don't know how you can watch this film without getting emotion because I can't even hold back the tears on the rewatches. Jim fires on all cylinders which is why it won 11 oscars and is the best performing theatrical box office run in post home cinema history.

Heres a Jimbo theory that may or may not be true. Most posters here will not have seen it in Cinema so immersion isn't a sure thing. The problem with the IMDB generation of film watchers is they can't watch films without distractions. On their phones all the way through the film... on their computer but got Titanic on in the background??? No wonder they don't feel the emotions.

Titanic and Avatar rely on 100% attention which is why they're regarded as films at their best when seen in Cinema.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

For all of the youngsters on here, one somewhat forgotten impact of The Matrix is how much it cooled fan reception to The Phantom Menace. The Matrix came out a couple months prior to TPM and it wowed everyone with its special effects and story. When TPM arrived, its special effects did not impress people much after just having their minds blown by The Matrix, which went on to win the Visual Effects Oscar for 1999. Not only that, but the boring trade war story at the heart of TPM was not as interesting or as cool as the man vs. machine battle over humanity in The Matrix.

Sure, TPM used its summer launch date and Star Wars title and pedigree to win the box office battle. However, the film would have been much bigger if The Matrix did not exist. TPM lost repeat business and suffered unfavorable quality assessments due to the rampant comparisons between the two films at the time. TPM would have easily cleared $500M domestically if The Matrix had not been released before it. Someone could possibly even make a case for The Matrix preventing TPM from reaching $600M.

56 minutes ago, baumer said:

Usually we'd let the discussion go on a while longer, but I am heading out to see DP2 again, so here is number 7:

anewhope.jpg?w=768

banner_176.jpg

Number 7

Star Wars Episode IV:  A New Hope (1977)

20th Century Fox, Directed by George Lucas (142 Points, 33 Votes)

Number 1 Placements: 1

Yours truly :)

Also, @Auteur Panda, how many lists did Star Wars appear on?

Thanks

56 minutes ago, baumer said:

• Like 1