The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

A New Hope is terribly overrated.

I guess I would have been impressed If I was born 50 years ago...

:ph34r:

Such a bad take. So, so bad.

Anyway, regarding the list: I hate Titanic personally but its obvious that 9 out of 10 people on this world like or love this movie. And its box office run is just stupidly awesome.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

A New Hope is terribly overrated.

I guess I would have been impressed If I was born 50 years ago...

:ph34r:

I agree with this, and there is also the issue with Carrie Fisher's terrible acting in this one. She reacts to her home planet being destroyed the way I would react to missing a bus and having to wait another 10 minutes.

• Haha 1

Here is what I feel ( pls don't kill me ) 

Titanic is timeless , you can watch it for the very first time  now and it will have almost the same impact 

I don't think the same could be said about A New Hope 

• Like 2

I mean I am sorry to say that but it is a movie with little to nonexistent interaction between the characters that relies on special effects that were indeed amazing for their time but do not impress anyone anymore. The action is pretty cool but not more than that. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

41 minutes ago, Auteur Panda said:

banner-886.jpg

Number 8

Titanic (1997)

Paramount Pictures, Directed by James Cameron (139 Points, 22 Votes)

james+flames+titanic+poster.jpg

"I'm the king of the world!"

Number 1 Placements: 4

Top 5 Placements: 8

Top 10 Placements: 12

Top 25 Placements: 15

Previous Rankings: 2016 (28, +20), 2014 (59, +41), 2013 (26, +18), 2012 (5, -3)

Awards Count: Won 11 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 88% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 600.8m (1.18b Adjusted)

Synopsis: A seventeen-year-old aristocrat falls in love with a kind but poor artist aboard the luxurious, ill-fated R.M.S. Titanic.

Critic Opinion: "Take one of history's most compelling tragedies, tell it through the lives of two engaging young lovers and show it with some of the best-ever special effects and you have a dazzling, exciting movie that is also poignant and personal.  The story of "Titanic" is so good that if written as fiction, it would be dismissed as preposterous.  The last half of this movie, with the ship sinking, is worth the price of admission. And the scenes in which the ship breaks and the stern plummets into the water are breathtaking.

She meets that someone on Titanic: Jack, a drifting artist who lives life to its fullest. He wins his third-class ticket in a poker game. The chemistry between the two is undeniable, and she eventually throws over Hockley, who tries his best to wreck the young love.  This love story is melodramatic, but what young love isn't?" - Joe Holleman

User Opinions: "Masterpiece."  - @That One Guy

"The best film of 1997 and incredibly, as good as this is, it's only Cameron's third best film."  - @baumer

"Titanic is EVERYTHING. Some may say whatever they want on it, but the fact the movie manages to capture the audience enough to actually care about it(regardles if that's a positive or a negative opinion on the film itself) after fricking 17 years must tell sth. I myself can't help but watch it every time it airs on tv even though i saw it soooo many times before that i somewhat learned most of the lines by heart. There is just sth about Titanic that transcends and keeps the audience engaged.
Truly one of the best examples of modern cinema hands down."  - @Ajde

Commentary: James Cameron comes onto our list one last time with his 90s historical epic, placing the highest it's been since 2012, Titanic.  Titanic is Cameron blending a melodramatic tragic romance in the midst of spectacle of a real historical disaster at the end, and the entire thing manages to work as one sweeping film.  The movie obviously moved audiences, as it had unstoppable legs and kept people coming back for seconds, thirds, fourths and fifths.  This is also the movie that really launched Leonardo DiCaprio's career, while also being the peak of it Box Office wise (which is insane given how impressive his track record at the box office is).  The movie had the least amount of votes of any movie in the top 10, with it appearing on 36% of the lists submitted but it had the highest average score of any movie on the list at 6.3, meaning the mean score of placements was right above the top 15 mark.

Decade Count: 90s (27), 10s (15), '00s (14), 80s (13), 70s (10), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (73), 80%-90% (14), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (4), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (4), 600m (2), 500m (4), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Francis Ford Copolla (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (15), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), The Godfather (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1), Middle Earth (1)

Genre Count: Drama (37), Adventure (31), VFX Driven (30), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (24), Fantasy (22), Epic (22), Comedy (21), Action (20), Novel Adaption (19), Period Piece (19), Family/Children (17), Romance (16), Crime/Noir (15), Sequel (14), Animation (13), Horror (12), War (12), Tragedy (12), Indie (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (5), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

tumblr_lz6iczvGWQ1r5i7tyo1_1280.png

The fact that only 23 of you put this on your list means than the other 38/39 of you need to get your multi-media devices out and watch this movie (b/c that's the only reason it shouldn't be on there:).  Biggest travesty on the list that less than 40% of you put this in your top 100s anywhere...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I mean I am sorry to say that but it is a movie with little to nonexistent interaction between the characters that relies on special effects that were indeed amazing for their time but do not impress anyone anymore. The action is pretty cool but not more than that. 

No need to bring Avatar up again honestly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, BardCrank said:

Here is what I feel ( pls don't kill me ) 

Titanic is timeless , you can watch it for the very first time  now and it will have almost the same impact 

I don't think the same could be said about A New Hope 

well said

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

No need to bring Avatar up again honestly.

get out

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The fact that only 23 of you put this on your list means than the other 38/39 of you need to get your multi-media devices out and watch this movie (b/c that's the only reason it shouldn't be on there:).  Biggest travesty on the list that less than 40% of you put this in your top 100s anywhere...

Those 39 need to get their act together! I think the fact this is a male dominated site and that the young males don't like to admit they loved Titanic (gernalising (we have heroes like TOG)) really hurts it's chances.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Makes its box office run far more impressive then doesn't it ;) 

I think Infinity War might be the most impressive box office run to date!

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I saw Titanic (again) recently for the top 25 of 97 list, and while it's OK it just isn't that good. I had as the 13th best film of 97 and wouldn't put it anywhere near the top 100 of all time.

• Like 1