The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I think JCS crossed a line too. Not just against rukaio but against large segments of the forum. Stuff like this:

Well it's pretty hard to debunk the first sentence... wait are you suggesting the young males in question are on this site?

I'm messing I get your point.

Edited by IronJimbo

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was a board but regardless - Then go down together if she loved him so much. 

Just another example of the rich living on the Titanic and the poor dying. 

Feh

It's almost like that is part of the social commentary. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This "guys don't like Titanic as much" is a total bullshit. There is only a 0.4 difference in average score on imdb between males and females. There are way more divisive movies out there. I'm proud to have it as my #1 and I'm a 26 year old guy. There is so much more than the romance. There is no other movie where the first few seconds of the entire thing can make me cry. Also not many movies (especially not 3 hour long ones) I watched twice in a day. :D

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I'm giving you a verbal warning. Please respect other cultures.

Oh and you and @rukaio101 cut it out. You two are adults. Please act like it and be respectful.

Insulting anime = verbal warning. Homophobia = a-okay? 

Pathetic. 

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

It's almost like that is part of the social commentary. 

But we're supposed to find this instance romantic and fitting that he dies so she can live.  

If it was social commentary Old Rose would be thinking - thank god that poor shmuck died for me and I didn't have to make the difficult decision to dump him after since he was of a lesser class.

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This is odd quite odd rukaio101 personally attacked JCS first, perhaps bias has come into this decision? Rukaio101's avatar (profile pic) is literally from a Japanese children's cartoon called Gintama (a shounen anime)... this comes across as a destain for JCS.

Thank you for the sentiment Jimbo, but I can defend myself, and the bias against me here is quiet evident itself, doesn't need to be pointed out. 

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

against large segments of the forum. Stuff like this:

It was a commentary on online culture versus real life culture and the different demographics of the two. Are you saying meta-commentary is against the rules? 

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This is odd quite odd rukaio101 personally attacked JCS first, perhaps bias has come into this decision? Rukaio101's avatar (profile pic) is literally from a Japanese children's cartoon called Gintama (a shounen anime)... this comes across as a destain for JCS.

Now, Gintama is a special case in my opinion. The series delves into some pretty absurd humor that I wouldn't necessarily say is entirely appropriate for an audience of children. Young adults, maybe, I'll give you that. But I'm sure there's a lot of parents who wouldn't allow their children to watch or read that particular series.

I wouldn't be so quick to label anime as a whole as "Japanese children's cartoons", because there are a lot of anime series that deal with extremely mature themes, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion and Full Metal Alchemist. I think even Bleach has a compelling underlying theme in its most iconic arc.

Long story short, if you went to Crunchyroll expecting every single show you see to be a children's show, I'd say you're in for a rude awakening for maybe a third, or even half, of the time.

Edited by Slambros

1 minute ago, misafeco said:

This "guys don't like Titanic as much" is a total bullshit. There is only a 0.4 difference in average score on imdb between males and females. There are way more divisive movies out there. I'm proud to have it as my #1 and I'm a 26 year old guy. There is so much more than the romance. There is no other movie where the first few seconds of the entire thing can make me cry. Also not many movies (especially not 3 hour long ones) I watched twice in a day. :D

That 0.4 difference is actually proving the point I would say! With that many votes 7.7 vs 8.1 is pretty huge also if you look at the other films in the top 10 you'll see the males rate them higher (+0.3 for ANH, godfather +0.3). I think Titanic is disadvantaged on this site when it comes to aggregated ratings as we're a male dominated site.

3 hours ago, Auteur Panda said:

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-two-towers-523

Number 10

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Peter Jackson (128 Points, 29 Votes)

3d24cca6f006971d60d3024ead2b9f4e.jpg

"Po-tay-toes!  Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!"

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 7

Top 25 Placements: 16

Previous Rankings: 2016, (12, +2), 2014 (19, +9), 2013 (29, +19), 2012 (11, +1)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 95% (8.5 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 339.8m (524.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: While Frodo and Sam edge closer to Mordor with the help of the shifty Gollum, the divided fellowship makes a stand against Sauron's new ally, Saruman, and his hordes of Isengard.

Critic Opinion: "The Two Towers only had to be as good as its predecessor–and, astoundingly, it's better. That's not simply a matter of exposition giving way to action, although the film has plenty, as soulful hobbits Elijah Wood and Sean Astin make their way toward Mordor, friends Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan find unlikely allies deep in a forest, and the dwarf/elf/human team of John Rhys-Davies, Orlando Bloom, and Viggo Mortensen attempts to defend a struggling kingdom from the forces of Christopher Lee. What makes Towers so staggering is the way it brings the full scope of Jackson's adaptation into focus. Without missing a beat in three hours, the film shifts from epic to lyrical and back. It portrays a harrowingly intense battle one moment, then pauses for a father's grief over his son's death the next.

It shows in frightening detail the engines of war, then links those engines to the bloodshed they exact and the ecological destruction that made them possible. What Fellowship suggested, Towers elucidates. It's thrilling as swords clash and arrows fly, but it also never abandons the underlying sadness of Tolkien's world, in which each victory only forestalls the transition to a meaner age. (And, for all the attendant technophobia, it's another technical masterpiece. Gollum, voiced by Andy Serkis, may qualify as the first fully fleshed-out performance by a CGI effect.) Next year, The Return Of The King will bring the story to a close. Until then, it feels almost like a privilege to watch the unfolding of a tale from a fantastic imagined past rich with resonance for the human present." -  Keith Phipps

User Opinions: "Best one of the trilogy. Helms Deep probably won't ever be topped." - @Heretic

"A worthy successor to FOTR, and in many ways it surpasses it in terms of feeling "Tolkien-esque" (despite numerous departures from the source material). It also -- amazingly -- manages to avoid the pitfall of being the middle film and thus without a real "beginning" or "end". Like the other LOTR films, it has tremendous scope while remaining surprisingly intimate at key moments, and it never forgets that the real meat of the story is the characters." -  @Telemachos

Commentary: The first of Peter Jackson's adaptions of Tolkien's epic Lord of the Rings tale, and while some may complain this may suffer from the middle chapter sluimps, The Two Towers boasts many reasons why it stands on its own, and even surpasses the first and third installments at various points.  The Battle of Helm's Deep is one of the most stunning battle sequences ever put to film, putting you into the thick of a grimy, dark and intense war.  The new focus on Gollum's character is a major plus, as he becomes one of the truly conflicting and grey characters of the saga, so any scene with him is incredibly engaging.  The entire film manages to fulfill its role as the bridge movie between Fellowship and Return, yet also stand on its own as a fantastic film, which is a remarkable achievement.  The Two Towers appeared on 46% of lists submitted with an average score of 4.6.

Decade Count: 90s (26), 10s (15), '00s (14), 80s (13), 70s (9), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (72), 80%-90% (13), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (3), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (3), 600m (2), 500m (4), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (13), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1), Middle Earth (1)

Genre Count: Drama (35), Adventure (31), VFX Driven (29), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (24), Fantasy (22), Comedy (21), Epic (21), Action (20), Family/Children (17), Period Piece (17), Novel Adaption (17), Romance (15), Crime/Noir (14), Sequel (14), Animation (13), Horror (12), War (12), Indie (11), Tragedy (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (4), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

two-towers-sam-frodo-gollum.jpg

This movie has one of the best posters imo.  RIP Lord Lee.

TheLordOfTheRingsTheTwoTowers_onesheet_a

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was a board but regardless - Then go down together if she loved him so much. 

Just another example of the rich living on the Titanic and the poor dying. 

Feh

This is one of the worst takes I've seen...and that's saying something since this is BOT...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But we're supposed to find this instance romantic and fitting that he dies so she can live.  

If it was social commentary Old Rose would be thinking - thank god that poor shmuck died for me and I didn't have to make the difficult decision to dump him after since he was of a lesser class.

That's not always how social commentary in a movie works. 

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It was a commentary on online culture versus real life culture and the different demographics of the two. Are you saying meta-commentary is against the rules? 

It's not meta-commentary if you are just saying things to insult people who don't like the same movies you do. 

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

Now, Gintama is a special case in my opinion. The series delves into some oretty absurd humor that I wouldn't necessarily say is entirely appropriate for an audience of children. Young adults, maybe, I'll give you that. But I'm sure there's a lot of parents who wouldn't allow their children to watch or read that particular series.

I wouldn't be so quick to label anime as a whole as "Japanese children's cartoons", because there are a lot of anime series that deal with extremely mature themes, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion and Full Metal Alchemist. I think even Bleach has a compelling underlying theme in its most iconic arc.

Long story short, if you went to Crunchyroll expecting every single shoe you see to be a children's show, I'd day you're in for a rude awakening for maybe a third, or even half, of the time.

You're preaching to the choir here I love anime :). I've watched Gintama and I agree it's far more suited to adults than other shounens, my point really was that shounens are technically children shows so what JCS said wasn't insulting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That 0.4 difference is actually proving the point I would say! With that many votes 7.7 vs 8.1 is pretty huge also if you look at the other films in the top 10 you'll see the males rate them higher (+0.3 for ANH, godfather +0.3). I think Titanic is disadvantaged on this site when it comes to aggregated ratings as we're a male dominated site.

Females rate movies higher than males most of the time. I'd say Titanic is the perfect 4-quadrant movie.

Next time we will reach the top 5, don't worry. :sparta:

41 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

And I do hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it doesn't matter how much you try to suck his dick. Jim's never going to fuck you.

4 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

my fault if certain people interpret it the wrong way and take it as an insult?

I didn't take either part of this as an insult. I'd pay a large sum of my fortune to be Suzy Amis for a week. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

It's pretty clear that Jack has had far more experience in the real world than Rose had up until that point, who had barely done anything adventurous, had thus far lived a boring and repetitive life, and was forced into a marriage with someone who she didn't love.  If one of them were to die, it should've been Jack, since he lived far closer to a full and happy life than Rose ever did.

• Like 2