CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

That title actually belongs to The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (which increased from an already impressive $408 million to $425 million).

Oh hey, you're right. Then it still applies for superheroes.

1 hour ago, Rthanos said:

DP2 was looking more high 50's+but allowing for high presales brings the number down, see how it goes into eve if that changes . 

Don't understand the frustration here. 

Even if the actuals remain 52-55, still good!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Last comment before I have to go back to work is this is an R-rated movie. The opening weekend numbers for Deadpool and Deadpool part 2 are astronomical when you compare it to most other R-rated movies in fact all other R-rated movies that don't have a killer clown in it.

And that's why I think this doom and gloom is eye rolling. I understand that massive numbers can be disappointing if they aren't as massive as expected but Deadpool 2 is an R rated film and comedy sequel. It not falling 10% from the original is good, let alone matching or slightly exceeding the original's opening weekend. Yes if it were heading for a 110mil opening I would be screaming disappointment as well but those aren't going to be the weekend numbers.

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Could you not count Age of Ultron to Infinity War?

You're right, IW being the third film threw me off. I was only thinking of direct sequels to first installments. 

• Like 1

I guess the marketing of DP1 did the best humanly possible for a R-rated comedy, and DP2 can only match that instead of top that. I mean I was one of those who believed DP2 would open to the same ballpark number as DP1 when the sequel was confirmed, but as the Marvel SH movies just kept getting hotter and hotter since DP1, I thought DP2 would benefit from that and opened to a rather bigger number. Guess we're all just spoiled by DP1's success right?

16 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

:gold:

if the early projections hold,then Solo is going open in roughly the same 120 to 140 Million area as DP2.

The meltdown we will see from the SW fans will be a thing to behold,because a opening like that IS disappointing for an SW film.

Just now, dudalb said:

if the early projections hold,then Solo is going open in roughly the same 120 to 140 Million area as DP2.

The meltdown we will see from the SW fans will be a thing to behold,because a opening like that IS disappointing for an SW film.

It could go sub-120. Which would mean Pirates 3 might still hold the three day Memorial record for 11 years and counting.

Just now, vc2002 said:

I guess the marketing of DP1 did the best humanly possible for a R-rated comedy, and DP2 can only match that instead of top that. I mean I was one of those who believed DP2 would open to the same ballpark number as DP1 when the sequel was confirmed, but as the Marvel SH movies just kept getting hotter and hotter since DP1, I thought DP2 would benefit from that and opened to a rather bigger number. Guess we're all just spoiled by DP1's success right?

I see that the fact the DP opened on a 3 day holiday weekend and DP2 does not went over your head.....

• Like 1

I feel like somehow Disney will keep the X-Force stuff intact and let it run alongside the MCU. There is no reason for them to reboot this particular part of the franchise and you just know throwing Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool into an Avengers movie is gold waiting to happen.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

But again I ask you is anyone other than one or two posters really freaking out over this opening weekend? We have about 75 members online right now and two people are freaking out in a negative way about the number. I don't get why people are paying so much attention to them.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I feel like somehow Disney will keep the X-Force stuff intact and let it run alongside the MCU. There is no reason for them to reboot this particular part of the franchise and you just know throwing Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool into an Avengers movie is gold waiting to happen.

And if they want a crossover then can always do the old "alternate universes" routine.

But then who knows? Feige has always said the unification is his ulitimate goal....

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

But again I ask you is anyone other than one or two posters really freaking out over this opening weekend? We have about 75 members online right now and two people are freaking out in a negative way about the number. I don't get why people are paying so much attention to them.

The person who screams the loudest gets the most attention.

But I repeat compapred to what looks as if is going to happen next weekend...

• Like 1