CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Well the DP2 numbers are fantastic, great start.  And the IW numbers are fine.

It was 1.6b WW last weekend, 1.7b by last night.  It's going to be 1.8b by end of day Sunday.  This is right on target to reach 2b WW.  Extremely impressive.

• Like 1

I feel like somehow Disney will keep the X-Force stuff intact and let it run alongside the MCU. There is no reason for them to reboot this particular part of the franchise and you just know throwing Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool into an Avengers movie is gold waiting to happen.

MCU will reboot the X-men the moment they get the rights back and shove them in the MCU for sure.
But Deadpool should be kept in his own universe along with any X-Force related characters.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Anyone know why Fox didn't go HAM on the viral marketing for DP2?

DP1 had one of the greatest marketing campaigns in movie history.

DP1 was the first blockbuster of the year (or at least the first one people saw). Fox probably wanted to take advantage of people looking for the first big movie post-TFA.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

MCU will reboot the X-men the moment they get the rights back and shove them in the MCU for sure.
But Deadpool should be kept in his own universe along with any X-Force related characters.

Well, yes, this is what I was saying in my post. What is the point of rebooting Deadpool anyway? Pissing off their entire fanbase?

• Thanks 1

Anyone know why Fox didn't go HAM on the viral marketing for DP2?

DP1 had one of the greatest marketing campaigns in movie history.

Sequels don't need as much massive marketing as their first movies. Sequels depend more on the goodwill and love for the first movies to do well.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I feel like somehow Disney will keep the X-Force stuff intact and let it run alongside the MCU. There is no reason for them to reboot this particular part of the franchise and you just know throwing Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool into an Avengers movie is gold waiting to happen.

It it doesn’t make any sense and takes away any sort of real stakes to put Deadpool in the main Marvel franchise. He will likely be kept separate with some Marvel characters occasionally showing up as jokes 

• Like 1

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I always forget how insufferable big weekend threads are here.  

I show up to check in and find pages of Deadpool 2 numbers supposedly suck and Solo is all of a sudden doomed next week.  

wish I could give this one 30 likes, dont worry everyone else will for me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I show up to check in and find pages of Deadpool 2 numbers supposedly suck and Solo is all of a sudden doomed next week.  

A $55M OD off of $18.6M in previews isn't encouraging for the rest of the weekend/its legs though :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I agree with one thing you said :ph34r: 

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Well, yes, this is what I was saying in my post. What is the point of rebooting Deadpool anyway? Pissing off their entire fanbase?

I think a lot of people are processing this too seriously.  How do you integrate the current DP into the MCU?  You just do it.  Poof he's there.

DP has already confronted this in DP1.  He makes jokes to the camera about is it Macavoy or Stewart?  When you can break the 4th wall like he does, normal cinematic rules don't apply.

Literally just have a scene where deadpool waves his hands, makes that going into a dream sound effect with his voice, and we stick him in the MCU along with anyone else.  As long as its funny and entertaining, audiences will go along with it.  This isn't 2010 where the canon needs to be so literal anymore.

Edited by REC
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The early projections for Solo came out today and they have it opening in the 12o to 140 Million range, same as projected for Deadpool 2.

And that would be an really weak opening for a SW film. OH, it would still make Disney a lot of money, but not be the cash cow the past 3 SW films have been.

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Han Solo is gonna be considered a bomb for the AGES next weekend. 

• Like 1