CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m not trying to troll.

when is the low end and <5 more than original good. What if IW did that compared to Ultron?!

People are being protective.

I enjoyed Deadpool 2, enjoyed it much more than IW, but be real. 

IW opened in the same circumstances that previous Avengers movies did and wasn't R-rated

and DP2 didn't open in the same Holiday as the first one, So I don't see how that's a fair comparison.  

I guess the real bummer about this summer is that we're not going to see many, if any, surprise hits. June also looks like it's going to be dominated primarily by three movies (Incredibles, Jurassic World, and to an obviously lesser extent, Ocean's 8) while everything else likely won't even reach $50M total.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Imagine 5 years ago some of us would be disappointed that a Deadpool Sequel had the potential to open to $130M :ph34r:

I think most originally thought Deadpool would make less than 130 mill total.

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

I’ll be here when you are all trying to slate IT CHAPTER 2 for barely increasing OW. 

IT did not open on a double holiday weekend but either way no one is going to slate any film for barely passing the original or just missing the original. 

But put it this way, had Deadpool been released on any other weekend it would have probably made like $120M at most. I was one of those who was very bullish on DP2 but that's probably due to my lack of understanding of how box office works. If DP2 manages a $130M OW i don't see what the issue is given its original had a very inflated OW 

• Like 3

130M for DP2 would be right in line with tracking and what the presales data that have been posted in the Tracking thread for days now, pointing towards. 

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Lol 

we know the first opened on a holiday. The OD should’ve been much bigger for the sequel. 

Truly successful sequels increase on the originals in total. Let’s see.

...the OD was bigger. Not much bigger, but bigger. Most sequels can't even do that, nevermind R-rated sequels. Also the biggest R-rated OD ever.

I think Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 made people very greedy when it comes to original-to-sequel bumps. It's hard to have a much bigger bump when you were already playing to a potential ceiling audience the 1st time around for a breakout novelty hit surrounded by favorable circumstances.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

...the OD was bigger. Not much bigger, but bigger. Most sequels can't even do that, nevermind R-rated sequels. Also the biggest R-rated OD ever.

I think Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 made people very greedy when it comes to original-to-sequel bumps. It's hard to have a much bigger bump when you were already playing to a potential ceiling audience the 1st time around for a breakout novelty hit surrounded by favorable circumstances.

I guess I’m being harsh, let’s take the holiday opening into account then and each the total domestic gross?  

• Like 1

GOTG2 dropped 53% against Wonder Woman in its 4th weekend

CA2 dropped 52% against TASM2 also in its 4th weekend

Ragnarok dropped 62% against JL in its 3rd weekend

Try to say IW drops this weekend against DP2 as anything bad is trying too hard to spin. It’s an expected drop in light of competition. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

still think it is funny that Deadpool grossed way more than all the actual X-Men films

That tells more about how fox has handled the X-men . Screw them and singer (who also made a flop Superman film) and bring on the MCU X-men .

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

These comments about spinning are head scratching, especially from people that spun the shit out of Ghostbuster numbers.  

:lol:

Thanks for that.

I still maintain the domestic numbers weren’t that bad. 

We’ve had a lot more films further away from their budget domestically since then that don’t get the same hard time. :)