CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think @Shawn is the one to answer that to :)

Shawn had a 100m prediction for DP2 going for awhile on BOP, would be crazy if that ends up being closer than most everyone else's predictions. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I really don't know why college graduations have become a concern all of the sudden when in the ten plus years I've been following box office, I've never heard that brought up on this weekend.

Also, commencement ceremonies happen on Saturday, too.

Nobody has ever brought up this suppose box office hindrance before this film. People only bring up this stuff when their pet movie doesn't do the numbers that they were expecting. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, it's kinda silly. Especially since grad ceremonies can happen on any day, not just Friday (I for example attended one this past Wednesday). 

I attended my nephew's graduation on the 11th.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Expect a around 60% to become common.

Sully: 57% was over 50.

Woman in Gold was 82%

Jack Reacher 2, Taken 3, A Walk AMong tombstone, had an over 50% audience aged over 50 year's old.

Ha, I didn't know Jack Reacher skewed so old, but it makes sense.

17 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I really don't know why college graduations have become a concern all of the sudden when in the ten plus years I've been following box office, I've never heard that brought up on this weekend.

Also, commencement ceremonies happen on Saturday, too.

It's not usually brought up b/c so few tentpoles have chosen this weekend.  Biggest opener on this 3rd weekend of May is Shrek the 3rd at $121Mish, which was a movie unaffected by high school proms/college graduations/etc as a pretty focused younger family movie.  So, we've never really had a reason to talk about it.

Life matters for movies...it's the 3rd prong of the quality/timing/circumstances triangle for movies...

So, again, all the doom and gloomers on legs and the total possible for this movie...one weekend does not guarantee anything, except the box office that will definitely be exceeded by the end of the weekend.  Anything else requires time to see how things play out.  Opening this big guarantees DP2 will have the time in theaters for it to hit its box office potential.  

If you ask me, having seen so many of you glowing from your watch of this movie, I'd think AIW legs multiplier will be the mark for this movie...both movies skew 13+ and both movies have caused fans to fawn...yes, one is sad and one is happy (I think?:), but I think the similarities will play more than the difference in tone...

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not usually brought up b/c so few tentpoles have chosen this weekend.  Biggest opener on this 3rd weekend of May is Shrek the 3rd at $121Mish, which was a movie unaffected by high school proms/college graduations/etc as a pretty focused younger family movie.  So, we've never really had a reason to talk about it.

Life matters for movies...it's the 3rd prong of the quality/timing/circumstances triangle for movies...

So, again, all the doom and gloomers on legs and the total possible for this movie...one weekend does not guarantee anything, except the box office that will definitely be exceeded by the end of the weekend.  Anything else requires time to see how things play out.  Opening this big guarantees DP2 will have the time in theaters for it to hit its box office potential.  

If you ask me, having seen so many of you glowing from your watch of this movie, I'd think AIW legs multiplier will be the mark for this movie...both movies skew 13+ and both movies have caused fans to fawn...yes, one is sad and one is happy (I think?:), but I think the similarities will play more than the difference in tone...

Why wouldn't Shrek 3 have been affected if that was a thing? Families don't go to graduations now? Kinda certain that's the target audience for going to a graduation, lol. 

If DP2 opens below the first and plays that frontlaoded for the weekend, that's a telltale sign of a sub 2.5x multi incoming. Even for all the hype and buzz the first got, it never had an exceptional multi. It was good, but again the WOM would have led you to believe it was going 3x+ which it didn't come close to. I've never expected DP2 would go much above 2.5x no matter what due to how the first performed. This is also summer, not February. Solo comes next week and then before you know it we'll have Incredibles and JW. DP2 doesn't have weeks to itself. 

• Like 1

I think people still underappreciate the role of no competition in Black Panther's stretchy legs. Probably skewing people's ideas of what seems reasonable, but that situation happens once in a blue moon.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the person who brought up college graduations was @EmpireCity not posters on here who were trying to excuse DP2's Friday number. Not sure how that's suddenly been spun into people making excuses for their fav film not doing well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Why wouldn't Shrek 3 have been affected if that was a thing? Families don't go to graduations now? Kinda certain that's the target audience for going to a graduation, lol. 

If DP2 opens below the first and plays that frontlaoded for the weekend, that's a telltale sign of a sub 2.5x multi incoming. Even for all the hype and buzz the first got, it never had an exceptional multi. It was good, but again the WOM would have led you to believe it was going 3x+ which it didn't come close to. I've never expected DP2 would go much above 2.5x no matter what due to how the first performed. This is also summer, not February. Solo comes next week and then before you know it we'll have Incredibles and JW. DP2 doesn't have weeks to itself. 

DP got a 2.74 multiplier off of a heavily inflated weekend. Funny how the inflated Weekend is used in some instances but when we bring up the legs for the film suddenly that's not a factor. 

36 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nobody has ever brought up this suppose box office hindrance before this film. People only bring up this stuff when their pet movie doesn't do the numbers that they were expecting. 

There's a Manny Floyd fight today OKAY

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Every college graduation I had come across is in end of April, not May. Thy are also on Saturday, not Friday. Lol at this being an effect on box office 

Not sure how many college graduations would be in April when most colleges finish in May. Regardless one person brought it up being an effect and now BOT is acting like it's a majority opinion when it's not. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

Not sure how many college graduations would be in April when most colleges finish in May. Regardless one person brought it up being an effect and now BOT is acting like it's a majority opinion when it's not. 

The winter semester around here ends in end of April and the next semester begins in May